Likes Likes:  27,454
Page 1128 of 1198 FirstFirst ... 1286281028107811181126112711281129113011381178 ... LastLast
Results 11,271 to 11,280 of 11978

Thread: And what did you buy today ?

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    That is very very cool

I don’t know if you remember, but Giovanni Moro first offered that design (or the simple version of it) to Ernie Romers at Watchuseek. The proposal was that it would be a forum watch. Collectively, we (the moderators) told him to steer well clear. Nobody would want one, and Ernie would be left with a load of watches he couldn’t sell.

I'm not buying it, after a bit of an agonise, but it's so pretty and so unique, I thought I'd share instead - there's a few minutes left if anyone is tempted...

An integrated watch Barometer!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394690925...QAAOSwo1dkkZwW

I bought myself a new PC monitor. Nice Eizo FlexScan. And I don't need it.

I was sitting at my computer doing my geeky thing and doing a preliminary circuit board layout for the Mk III Friday Detection Unit. Then, suddenly, poof. PC turns off. I also hear my laptop sound its AC power loss beep. Sure enough, no power in the house. So I go check the breakers and find that the HFI's been tripped, which I don't much like. A popped breaker is one thing. HFI is something else - the current found an alternative route to ground here. Stuff that electrocutes people. But it could be a spurious trip, so I reset the HFI and everything seems to be working again. I go back to the PC, power back up, curse a great deal about the unsaved stuff and get back to it. 20 minutes later, the power goes again. Back to the breakers and sure enough, the HFI tripped again. So I open all the breakers, reset the HFI and start closing breakers one by one, waiting half an hour in between. In the mean time, as the HFI tripped the second time and I started searching for the culprit, my computer's been killed yet again. And this time, the monitor powers up again with an odd white blurry halo around the top edges of the screen. So It seems to have been damaged by all this irregular power activity. It's a pain to work with and I can't live without it, so I immediately order another one. Bah. Hours later, I isolate the problem to my kitchen and then my crock pot. All good. I decide to give working on the PC another try just to not lose all the stuff that's in my head. Lo and behold, the monitor starts working again. And I have an email from an uncharacteristically efficient retailer that my monitor has shipped. [insert epic double facepalm here]

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

In other news, tomorrow someone's coming to take some pictures at work (god knows what for) and they want pictures of hands working on stuff. And that's me, according to the marketing people. I have nice hands, they tell me. If I had a little more warning, I'd take a page from Zoolander and arrive with my hand in a mock hyperbaric chamber. Hand modeling is serious work, people.

^^^

I wonder what year it was?

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    ^^^

I wonder what year it was?
    I reckon it's probably 1890 - 1920, simply because that style of pocket altitude / barometers all seem to come from that period, as such I reckon that the lovechild would too. It's very cool though!

I don’t know if you remember, but Giovanni Moro first offered that design (or the simple version of it) to Ernie Romers at Watchuseek. The proposal was that it would be a forum watch. Collectively, we (the moderators) told him to steer well clear. Nobody would want one, and Ernie would be left with a load of watches he couldn’t sell.
    I should have remembered that. Maybe before my time?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I reckon it's probably 1890 - 1920, simply because that style of pocket altitude / barometers all seem to come from that period, as such I reckon that the lovechild would too. It's very cool though!

That was my approximate guess, based on no knowledge at all. And it is cool, and £280 wasn’t a bad price at all.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    I should have remembered that. Maybe before my time?

It may well have been.

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And what did you buy today ?

It may well have been.
    I'm pretty sure it was before my time as well. Then again, I can't remember what I had for breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G-Shock & Digital Moderator Kronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Baltic MR01 with a salmon dial. Arrived yesterday. First wearing it today. I ordered it with a navy, leather strap. The strap is thin and supple; it works well enough for the watch. I may put the watch on some kind of ribbon strap for the summer.

It was hard to manage the glare -- as you will see from the photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk