Likes Likes:  56
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with first G-Shock

Help with first G-Shock

So guys: Been looking at getting my first G for a while now and thought I'd elicit some help from where the knowledge lies.

I want something square, solar, multi-band, not too colourful with a good strap/bracelet.

As for features, alarm and timer is pretty much all I need.

Prepare to pay up to roughly $150-180 but cheaper is also good.

Been looking at the various 5610's and especially the inverted display GW-M5610BC-1JF

pic:
    Name:  image (836).jpg
Views: 133
Size:  44.4 KB

So what are my options (so, so many G-shocks out there it gets a bit daunting for a novice)

2. Likes is that my watch, iyonk, Greg liked this post
    yes as you say there are lots of choices don't think I had a square one in my collection.

just a thou some of the expensive one's have a low retail value so you could get more for the money if you thought of second had for example my Stormtroopers cost me over £125 but a month so later when I had to sell it all I got was £47 and shop around as they also went on sale just after I bought mine (typically )

look at creation well for the uk they have them to you in 3 days not sure for your country but would have thought the same and the price are to be honest one of the better places to go for your money
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

cheers is.

but more hoping for some model suggestions. buying it shouldn't be a problem, but it's the looking through hundreds of versions I'm hoping to avoid by asking those knowledgeable

one word ! memberfor good advice Sedi
    i would second the advice on buying a good quality and good condition pre owned because although affordable they are compulsive and likely more will follow !

also http://www.g-central.com/best-g-shock-watches/

You have BIG wrist Magnus, so you should take advantage to that..

the one you post is nice, but it is one of the smallest G, and also the negative display even though look cool in picture would make you strugle for quick glance, especially on low light, but it has EL backlight to check time in the dark..

still a good choice though.. my advice is get a positive display like a standard model, but i dont think the rubber strap is enough for your 8" wrist..
    also, i personally think square would look to dainty on you.. you could try some XL model, like GDX6900. ther are within your budget.
    it is extremely rugged, 10 years battery (large capacity CR2032 battery, might last more than 15 years), and look bad ass.. there are several model ranging from the all black, to camo, to clear resin (called jelly)..

or if you like square.. you could search for the King GX-56

7. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    cheers is.

but more hoping for some model suggestions. buying it shouldn't be a problem, but it's the looking through hundreds of versions I'm hoping to avoid by asking those knowledgeable
    well can show my collection well when I had them to give you some ideas but as I said have not had a square one so to speak

well last couple are not really g'shocks but give the square look
    Attached Images Attached Images          
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

9. Likes meijlinder, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyonk View Post
    You have BIG wrist Magnus, so you should take advantage to that..

the one you post is nice, but it is one of the smallest G, and also the negative display even though look cool in picture would make you strugle for quick glance, especially on low light, but it has EL backlight to check time in the dark..

still a good choice though.. my advice is get a positive display like a standard model, but i dont think the rubber strap is enough for your 8" wrist..
    also, i personally think square would look to dainty on you.. you could try some XL model, like GDX6900. ther are within your budget.
    it is extremely rugged, 10 years battery (large capacity CR2032 battery, might last more than 15 years), and look bad ass.. there are several model ranging from the all black, to camo, to clear resin (called jelly)..

or if you like square.. you could search for the King GX-56

Ooh I quite like the King. Think I'm set on square actually. Like the retro-look of those. Found a few posts with wristshots from Sedi on wus and it didn't look that huge. Does that have atomic time as well?

and for band length I should be fine with mosts, have an AE1200 and that works fine

11. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    one word ! memberfor good advice Sedi
    i would second the advice on buying a good quality and good condition pre owned because although affordable they are compulsive and likely more will follow !

also http://www.g-central.com/best-g-shock-watches/
    Thanks for the link.

lets see if we can ping @Sedi;

one of the G'shock lads had a lovely square one I like every time I see it but can't remember the model number
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Somebody called? :-)
    Well with square, solar and atomic the choices are limited. I'd suggest a GW-5510 - I hope they are still out there. I only got the non-atomic G-5500TS-8 and a GLS-5500. IMO they're among THE most comfortable G-Shocks ever. And slightly bigger (not much though) than the 56XX.
    If you wanna go high-end - take a GW-5000. The steel case makes them special and they sit more comfortable on the wrist IMO than the standard models. I'm not sure however if the new GW-M5610 still has the rounded edges on the caseback that the GW-M5600 had.
    Another option might be a GWX-5600 but I think those are discontinued. The GX(W)-56 is indeed wearable if you got around 7" wrists. Looks more impressive on closeup pics than in real life.
    The G-7800 was a great model bit neither solar nor atomic and I think it's discontinued as well.
    If you're also looking at non-G Casios the AE-1200 is one of the best bangs for the buck, but IMO the lack of a snooze alarm is its biggest downside.
    Cheers, Sedi

15. Likes is that my watch, meijlinder, iyonk liked this post