Likes Likes:  466
Page 2 of 70 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey.

Today I plumped for a Laphroaig 10 and, honestly, I'm struggling with it. I didn't realise that "medicinal notes" meant "tastes like a bottle of TCP has been emptied into it". I'm sure it's my limited pallet but I'm not getting past that nose. I think it's going to have to be put aside while I work my way gradually towards the more challenging stuff.

I don't exactly live in the World's whiskey capital (it's all Grappa over here) so I'll have to hunt around a bit. I hope I can turn up a bottle of Jameson somewhere.
    Last edited by GaryF; Nov 12, 2014 at 06:32 PM.

2. Likes JohnF, OhDark30 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by bacari View Post
    Hey guys! As some of you know, I am a big fan of Balvenie. I love the 12 year Doublewood and the 14 year Carribean Cask. As for bourbon, I really like Woodford Reserve, Four Roses, and I love Blanton's.
    You don't drink so much isn't that right, B? I love that you like the scotch though :-) Balvenie is a personal favourite of mine. That, and Aberlour (the 60% cask strength A'bunadh is almost always on offer at Waitrose my supermarket - £35 but I dilute it by 30% or so down to about 40% abv so it doesn't burn my eyes out, so it's actually pretty good value. I'm going to have some in 10 minutes in fact). Macallan is nice too.

I don't like em too peaty, but a talisker 10 in small quantities is a nice challenge, smokey, not tcp.

I don't drink Irish whiskey - no real reason, just haven't got into it.

Also, Penderyn - Welsh whiskey - tastes like pineapple!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    Today I plumped for a Laphroaig 10 and, honestly, I'm struggling with it. I didn't realise that "medicinal notes" meant "tastes like a bottle of TCP has been emptied into it". I'm sure it's my limited pallet but I'm not getting past that nose. I think it's going to have to be put aside while I work my way gradually towards the more challenging stuff.

I don't exactly live in the World's whiskey capital (it's all Grappa over here) so I'll have to hunt around a bit. I hope I can turn up a bottle of Jameson somewhere.
    Yeah it's not great. Start with the easier drinkers like Macallan, Dalwhinnie, Balvenie...And try (in a pub if possible) before you buy!

5. Likes JohnF liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Yeah it's not great. Start with the easier drinkers like Macallan, Dalwhinnie, Balvenie...And try (in a pub if possible) before you buy!

Ah....pubs. I remember those. Here we have "bars" at which they generally serve coffee. Barbarians!

Ah....pubs. I remember those. Here we have "bars" at which they generally serve coffee. Barbarians!
    Serious? That's terrible! I've been to Rome and Tuscany but I guess I didn't seek out pubs as such. That's the problem with Dubai too.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

9. Likes bacari liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Serious? That's terrible! I've been to Rome and Tuscany but I guess I didn't seek out pubs as such. That's the problem with Dubai too.
    You can get a beer or a prosecco after lunch or while you're waiting for dinner but there's nowhere cosy to just sit in and drink. Besides, I have to drive into town so I'm limited in what I can take onboard.

I really like Blanton's bourbon followed by Angel's Envy and Woodford Reserve. As for Scotch I just received a bottle of Glenfiddich 18yr. It is excellent.

12. Likes bacari liked this post
    So, I had a little chat with the guy in my local shop. I explained my issue with the Laphroaig and he nodded sagely at the word "medicinale". I told him I wanted something to take me in that direction but a little closer to the starting line.

Of the stuff recommended here, the only thing he had was Dalwhinnie, which he said would be good, but we talked for a bit and he diagnosed my being in need of a bottle of Highland Park. I was a little put off by the prosaic title but he (not speaking English and, therefore, oblivious to that aspect) remained confident in his prescription.
    I'm happy to have been born a trusting soul because I bought it and it really is quite nice. What's more, it doesn't leave me smelling like I startled a dental hygenist so my wife should be happy.

14. Likes jsw41, scottjc, OhDark30 liked this post
    So, I had a little chat with the guy in my local shop. I explained my issue with the Laphroaig and he nodded sagely at the word "medicinale". I told him I wanted something to take me in that direction but a little closer to the starting line.
    This has been my experience with Scotch, especially 'neat'. For the last 40+ years I prefer Rum (and cola). However, a distillery in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia makes North America's only single malt.

But be prepared for 'sticker shock'

John
    If you come to a fork in the road; take it, and then put it down so someone else can use it.