Likes Likes:  466
Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

Thread: Whiskey.

Canadian whisky. Like almost anything CC it's hard to research, but this was casked in 1977 as their standard blend at the time with some small cognac and sherry and additional pure rye amounts blended, but all in I doubt the rye content is any higher. 40 years ago their blend had more rye than it does today but the actual figures either cant be reached or are above my pay grade. They dont make it easy in tasting either, as they blend before maturing unlike other popular blends out there, giving it a more homogeneous taste.
    I bought it more as a novelty although it does get very respectable scores from around the right circles, and my 41st is coming up so I felt it was well timed.
    Last edited by CanadianStraps; Nov 23, 2018 at 04:28 PM.
    It is now my duty to completely drain you.

2. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    It's not even that badly priced.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

I couldn't tell, to be honest. The age statement and uniqueness of the product makes me agree, the fact that its CC with some add-ons to the blend tell me otherwise. Certainly no regrets either way: I've paid a lot more for a lot less.

Finally Friday! (Oops, wrong thread. I thought it was watcha drinkin' )

Sent from Maxwell Smart's shoe.
    Last edited by Fantasio; Nov 30, 2018 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Wrong thread :-(

Well, the ingredients are almost similar, so you are forgiven :-)

7. Likes Fantasio liked this post
    A wee bit of Auchentoshan Blood Oak with some reading.

Sent from Maxwell Smart's shoe.

9. Likes Martin, geoffbot liked this post
    Bought and tried this one yesterday. Very good indeed

11. Likes geoffbot, CanadianStraps, gnuyork liked this post
    Name:  20181219_170726.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  39.7 KB

13. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Always like to explore the crappy whiskies available in places like Caribbean resorts. The lobby bar had an actual nice selection of single malts and respectable whisk(e)y but any of the other (many) bars had nothing but meme-tier stuff. These pictures dont even make up half of what we encountered. Imagine wading over to a swim-up bar and examining a bottle of Canadian whisky bottled in Spain with verbiage on the label so romantic you're about to take a reflection, but then you take a gulp instead and suddenly find yourself dunking to the bottom of the pool to water scream and then come up to quickly finish your beer. And at night me and the BIL would sneak out when everyone else was asleep and crawl the 24 hour bars, finding yet more. We made them open at least 5 or 6 bottles, most of the bartenders were somewhere between disgusted and bewildered that we wanted to drink it. Neat.

Name:  IMG-20190110-WA0003.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  66.9 KB

Name:  IMG-20190110-WA0004.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  73.7 KB

Name:  IMG-20190110-WA0005.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  IMG-20190110-WA0006.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  IMG-20190110-WA0008.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  IMG-20190110-WA0007.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  62.7 KB

Of what's shown here I'd say that the Black Royal Club was the most respectable, as I never lost my sight or hearing. I also asked one of the bartenders if he had Sir Albert in a can, but he only had the bottle and was pretty stoic about it
    Last edited by CanadianStraps; Jan 11, 2019 at 05:30 PM.

15. Likes yokied, OhDark30, geoffbot, Martin, gnuyork liked this post
    ^^^ brilliant post. I had a good chortle. I used to do similar things with a friend from my first job, who is mildly authoritative in this area as his fairly liberal parents happened to come from the subcontinent. We never had the guts to get as loose as you though, taking this stuff on at an age presumably over 30, let alone in a strange foreign land that may or may not have the best health system. I love how derision and compliments prompted the opposite reaction from most staff.

The worst experience we had was a New Year's Eve with a certain Indian rum that his parents provided. It was immortalised by our sleepless, hallucinogenic efforts as clerks on New Year's Day. Its unrepeatable nickname is now one of our code words.

17. Likes CanadianStraps liked this post