Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **** Have you cracked under the pressure ****

**** Have you cracked under the pressure ****

Just curious as to where pressure crack's come from yes yes you can chip / crack a crystal from miss-use but I will give you a example.

I put a watch in to a display box and put it away was planing on selling it at some point as I was not wearing it so did not want to damage it in the draw with the other watches plus wanted to see if I would miss it.

I always do this I put any watch I am thinking of selling away for a few weeks or what ever to see if I want to wear it at all and so any way it was in a box hard watch box put on the top of a wardrobe out the way.

A months or so later I am going to pack it up to sell so take one last look and pow the crystal has a crack and a pressure crack you might think these are the same thing but a crack is a crack but a pressure crack is like a spider web has been place on the crystal so how where why did this happen when untouched in about 2/3 months ..

Has this happened to you maybe it was in a drawer and the next time you came to use it you go I don't remember that being there ...

Let's break out the science on this there is probably a logical answer in this instant it was a acrylic crystal don't think I have seen one on a glass / sapphire I don't think I have have you ?

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes JAGtime liked this post
    Sorry i can not help with the issue ismy since i've never experience those crystal problem on any of my watches... but speaking of pressure, i suffer pressure in life more than any of my watches.

hope some expert here could help with that science.. goodluck ismy

4. Likes is that my watch, JAGtime liked this post
    well some would call them stress fractures maybe
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

6. Likes iyonk, JAGtime, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    think also age of the watch can add to the issue as it was this one that later started having other faults too (it is no longer with us - well some of it is )
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

8. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    The only way I can see this happening is if the crystal or gasket had something wrong that caused it to have more side pressure when it was pressed in. I've only ever popped the crystals on a few Pam clones and about a hundred Seiko so everything was always fitting well. I did have a hardlux crystal shatter, but that may have been other factors.

One question was this watch cold in the old location and warm in where you had it stored?
    Last edited by Samanator; Apr 25, 2016 at 01:18 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

10. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    The only way I can see this happening is if the crystal or gasket had something wrong that caused it to have more side pressure when it was pressed in. I've only ever popped the crystals on a few Pam clones and about a hundred Seiko so everything was always fitting well. I did have a hardlux crystal shatter, but that may have been other factors.

One question was this watch cold in the old location and warm in where you had it stored?
    from watch drawer to on top of the wardrobe same room was not boxed in the draw but was on top of the wardrobe
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

also put four other in same place and same time the others was fine
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

I"ve had this happen, but not in 2-3 months. I put a watch into the vault at the bank for a year or so, and when I retrieved it, it had the same stress cracks. Watchmaker explained that plastic crystals dry over time and lose their elasticity. They even shrink a little. So depending on which mounting system design the crystal is, stress causes the cracks to appear as the crystal becomes more brittle over time. No idea why yours happened in such a short period, though.
    Had the opposite problem recently. The crystal on my vintage Omega just fell out one day. It had dried and shrunk over the years until it was just too small to stay in place.
    Eterna | Tudor | Seiko | Casio | G-Shock | Orient | Swatch | Mondaine | Zodiac (pre-Fossil) | Rolex | Wenger | Pulsar Time Computer | Omega | Timex | Bucherer | Citizen | Bulova | Glycine

14. Likes is that my watch, iyonk, skywatch, Greg liked this post
    yeah that would make sense as I was looking at old threads and in one I had mention I had pick up a scratch on it so I polished it out so possible it was already existing fault that when I had fix the scratch it had weaken the crystal and so when maybe the cold at night was enough then to pop it as it get colds on the night's here can be the only answer maybe as yes was reading with some plastics over time they could simple pop of split if old enough or on the slightish contact with any thing so that must be it then
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    from watch drawer to on top of the wardrobe same room was not boxed in the draw but was on top of the wardrobe

There could be a temperature difference, if the top of the wardrobe is only a few inches and a sheet of plaster-board from the roof space.

17. Likes is that my watch liked this post