Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Unwrapping the latest acquisition

Unwrapping the latest acquisition

Hi guys,
    our little sub-forum lacks some content, so I might as well do a little unboxing-thread :-). It's been a while since I bought my last G-Shock - in fact it's so long that I can't even remember which model it was. So it was about time for what's coming next. Can't give away the surprise of course. I'll just mention that it was on my to-buy-list for a while.

Ordered this one in the UK as there was a seller who sold off a bunch of these in auctions with a 1 Pound starting price. Saved me around 50€ vs. MSRP.

I think now you can already guess where this is headed, but wait - there's quite a few BT G-Shocks out nowadays .

We're getting closer:

Tadaaa:

It's the GB-X6900B. I wanted to try out the beefed up version of the 6900 for quite some time, but I was disappointed about the mediocre module when they were first released in the form of the GD-X6900. So it kind of dropped off my radar. Then I bought a GB-6900B so I didn't really see the need for another BT G-Shock.
    Now with the new job and all - and a little more money - I thought "why not?".

Comparison shot with the GB-6900:

And one on the wrist:

It's noticeably bigger than the 6900 so I'm glad I got it.
    For those who are not familiar with the BT version of the 6900 a little overview of the features.
    IMO this is probably one of the best modules ever put into a 6900 next to the GLX-6900. You have to be careful though to get the "B"-version - GB-6900B or GB-X6900B as the first version that was released has no snooze alarm.
    Features are:
    - BT functionality with vibe or sound for emails, phone calls, SMS, etc. - sometimes the name of the caller or person who writes you is displayed, sometimes just the number - doesn't seem to be a problem of the "G-Shock+"-app but of the phone provider
    - a problem for the people who wanna use the BT is that it only works with Android up to version 4.4 which is quite outdated. I especially got a smartphone with Android 4.4 just so it'd work with my watch - call me crazy. Btw - it works with almost every phone with this android version, not just Samsung models like Casio claims on their homepage.
    But the rest of the features is so good that you can buy this with confidence even when you don't plan to use the BT:
    - worldtime
    - 4 alarms + snooze
    - 1,000 hr STW
    - 100 hr CDT
    - current time is displayed in alarm, STW and CDT mode
    - vibe alarm
    - big CR2032 battery which should last quite some time when not using the BT and even lasts 2 yrs with daily use of the BT
    - the oversized buttons are a pleasure to use
    And there's some little details that make it real fun - the plastic display frame has a border of translucent blue plastic which makes for a cool effect when using the LED-backlight. The backlight seems also to have improved over other models with LED as the light is distributed much more evenly across the display than on other models. There's still a small hotspot on the left side however.
    The resin is semi-glossy and the keeper is not metal like on the GB-6900B I have, which means it will stay put much better. Comfort is very good. So if you're looking for an iconic G-Shock design with the latest tech under the hood - this is the way to go. If you are interested in getting one - look for eBay-seller "watches2u_uk" if you're in europe - he seems to have a big supply of those but they certainly won't be around forever. G-Shock Perfect Search tells me they're all discontinued.
    Last edited by Sedi; Apr 29, 2016 at 01:14 PM.
    Cheers, Sedi

Quote Originally Posted by Sedi View Post
    Hi guys,
    our little sub-forum lacks some content, so I might as well do a little unboxing-thread :-). It's been a while since I bought my last G-Shock - in fact it's so long that I can't even remember which model it was. So it was about time for what's coming next. Can't give away the surprise of course. I'll just mention that it was on my to-buy-list for a while.

Ordered this one in the UK as there was a seller who sold off a bunch of these in auctions with a 1 Pound starting price. Saved me around 50€ vs. MSRP.

I think now you can already guess where this is headed, but wait - there's quite a few BT G-Shocks out nowadays .

We're getting closer:

Tadaaa:

It's the GB-X6900B. I wanted to try out the beefed up version of the 6900 for quite some time, but I was disappointed about the mediocre module when they were first released in the form of the GD-X6900. So it kind of dropped off my radar. Then I bought a GB-6900B so I didn't really see the need for another BT G-Shock.
    Now with the new job and all - and a little more money - I thought "why not?".

Comparison shot with the GB-6900:

And one on the wrist:

It's noticeably bigger than the 6900 so I'm glad I got it.
    For those who are not familiar with the BT version of the 6900 a little overview of the features.
    IMO this is probably one of the best modules ever put into a 6900 next to the GLX-6900. You have to be careful though to get the "B"-version - GB-6900B or GB-X6900B as the first version that was released has no snooze alarm.
    Features are:
    - BT functionality with vibe or sound for emails, phone calls, SMS, etc. - sometimes the name of the caller or person who writes you is displayed, sometimes just the number - doesn't seem to be a problem of the "G-Shock+"-app but of the phone provider
    - a problem for the people who wanna use the BT is that it only works with Android up to version 4.4 which is quite outdated. I especially got a smartphone with Android 4.4 just so it'd work with my watch - call me crazy. Btw - it works with almost every phone with this android version, not just Samsung models like Casio claims on their homepage.
    But the rest of the features is so good that you can buy this with confidence even when you don't plan to use the BT:
    - worldtime
    - 4 alarms + snooze
    - 1,000 hr STW
    - 100 hr CDT
    - current time is displayed in alarm, STW and CDT mode
    - vibe alarm
    - big CR2032 battery which should last quite some time when not using the BT and even lasts 2 yrs with daily use of the BT
    - the oversized buttons are a pleasure to use
    And there's some little details that make it real fun - the plastic display frame has a border of translucent blue plastic which makes for a cool effect when using the LED-backlight. The backlight seems also to have improved over other models with LED as the light is distributed much more evenly across the display than on other models. There's still a small hotspot on the left side however.
    The resin is semi-glossy and the keeper is not metal like on the GB-6900B I have, which means it will stay put much better. Comfort is very good. So if you're looking for an iconic G-Shock design with the latest tech under the hood - this is the way to go. If you are interested in getting one - look for eBay-seller "watches2u_uk" if you're in europe - he seems to have a big supply of those but they certainly won't be around forever. G-Shock Perfect Search tells me they're all discontinued.
    Congrats Sedi.

Great review. I've never really considered any of the BT models but they do offer great functionality for the price.

3. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Thanks Greg! BTW I just noticed that an unwrapping thread makes not much sense as far as the surprise factor goes when you can see the the pics of the watch in the thread preview on tapatalk
    Cheers, Sedi

5. Likes Greg, iyonk liked this post
    Sweettt!! i love vibrating alert g-shock.. and that one look really great!
    Congrats Sedi!...

btw, do you just wear it as a G or actually sync the blutooth with your phone?

Thanks Iyonk! When I still had my hotel job I did use the GB-6900 a lot because I could completely mute my phone (no vibration either) and still know when I got a call or message. Nowadays I work at home so I don't really need the Bluetooth functionality any more. I rather bought it because IMO it has a much better feature set than the GD-X6900. And I always wanted to get one of the oversized 6900-models. After all the 6900 is one of the most iconic models right after the 5600 and I do prefer it over the squares because the buttons are much easier to press and because it's bigger.
    Cheers, Sedi

8. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Yes! totally make sense Sedi!

i think the great module and the perfect size are make it a great choice... another plus that i see from the picture is that it seem use the same kind of display that is used by GD-350 and GB5600.. if that's the case, the extra legibility from the extra wide viewing angle would make it a keeper! again.. great choice Sedi..

Yes, viewing angle is similar to the GD-350. The display is pretty crisp but hard to capture on pics.
    Cheers, Sedi

11. Likes iyonk liked this post