Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I love TAGs

I love TAGs

Where is everybody in the TAG forum??

Im sure you guys know TAG gets alot of gripe around the WIS crowd but im not afraid to admit i love my tags. Like geoffbot mentioned in the sticky many watch people started out by buying a TAG and thats how they got interested in watches. Im one of those people and heres my story.
    Was in Europe for vacation. Never really had a "proper" watch just a few from fashion brands. Well in this trip i went to Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Finland, Norway, Sweden and Denmark. It was the last leg of the trip in Denmark when we went shopping in Copenhagen. This is when i thought i should get my watch thinking it would be a good deal since being a tourist i get refunded the tax. Being a motorsport guy ive always liked TAGs. Long story short i walked out happy with a Aquaracer 300m chrono on my wrist.

Now because i wasnt so horologically inclined and thought i was already getting a good deal with no tax; i barely haggled. Yea the TAG msrp is pretty high but i didnt care i loved my watch. The sales girl told me it was fully mechanical and automatic. But it has a timer function i though, how does this even work when theres no battery? I was hooked.

On the flight back i picked up a watch magazine. Shortly after i joined some forums and bookmarked quite a few watch sites. This time i did my homework and my next two purchases was a Tudor Black Bay and a 1970s vintage speedmaster. I must admit i stayed away from TAGs for a little bit. Now that im more knowledgable and more in tune with the 2nd hand market pricing i realized how much my purchase, at full price, had stung. Despite that i loved my aquaracer and was for a while my go-to everyday soldier.

Now i no longer have my aquaracer. I sorely miss it and if the chance came up i would buy the blue version or buy the new generation when its out. The next TAG i got was a SLR laptimer. My first experience a mecha quartz movement. I thought t was really cool and well finished. The bracelet is an astounding piece of work and really captures the SLR design.

Next is my TAG heuer 1887 carrera. Astounding watch. The finishing on this is amazing. Theres so much depth to the dial eventhough its not as deep as a dive watch's. Its shown below beside a ball skindiver and ball hydrocarbon. Those two divers dont have nearly as much depth. The sapphire bezel is great and the watch runs beautifully. The chrono function f the 1887 is smooth as a babys bottom. While the watch is a bit on the large side at 43mm i think its alright. My one gripe is the height of the watch though. Its chunkier than some of my divers. I know chrono movements do take up space but man is it big. Oh well adds to the wrist presence.

The next TAG on the horizon is hopefully a monaco. Ive always loved that iconic design and its ties to steve mcqueen, coolest man on earth, is a nice bonus.

Let me know what you guys think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current and Collection:
    Rolex Submariner No-Date Ceramic, Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Datejust II, Rolex Milgauss ZBlue, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Tudor Hydonaut, Tudor Blackbay, Tudor Pelagos

2. Likes geoffbot, Der Amf, stewham, Banker liked this post
    Very nice! Most of my thoughts on the brand are as stated in my thread you mention...this forum so far is 95% WIS which is perhaps why it's quiet in here, plus remember we only have 500 members.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

My first "decent" watch was a Tag Kirium which served me well for many years.
    I still have it although it rarely gets any wear these days but I'll never sell it. Maybe it will get handed to a family member...
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk
    If the supply of ETA movement parts affects you please complete this survey:
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/swiss_watches

Yea and i find us TAG owners arent very loud. Not like the other brand fanboys. Maybe its cause we get so much flak already hahaha

Ive always liked the kirium design. I just thought it was a bit small for me. I think its the case size to dial size ratio is too big. Thats a great thought though keeping your first. I wish i still had my aquaracer );

Current and Collection:
    Rolex Submariner No-Date Ceramic, Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic, Rolex Datejust, Rolex Datejust II, Rolex Milgauss ZBlue, Omega Speedmaster Pro, Tudor Hydonaut, Tudor Blackbay, Tudor Pelagos

I own a Monaco I bought about 10 months ago. I've definitely become a big supporter since then.

TAG Heuer Monaco, Mido Multifort, Chr. Ward C5 Malvern MkII

Quote Originally Posted by WillMK5 View Post
    I own a Monaco I bought about 10 months ago. I've definitely become a big supporter since then.

I need me a monaco haha. Which one did you get?

Current and Collection:

I got the Calibre 12 in blue.

TAG Heuer Monaco, Mido Multifort, Chr. Ward C5 Malvern MkII

9. Likes Banker liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WillMK5 View Post
    I got the Calibre 12 in blue.

Thats a beaut. Wear it in good health

Current and Collection:

I think many would say I am far from quiet.

If it seems that fewer people shout about Tagheuer it is probably down to the fact that most owners also own a bunch of other watches too, unlike other brands that seem more likely to attact people who end up only buying that brand. It certainly seems we don't need to form a communal back slapping circle jerk as much.

Man, I think i need that Black Bay after all.
    Still not sold on the Monaco though.

12. Likes Norm liked this post
    I love the look of the bracelet on this watch. Much better than other Tag Link bracelets, IMHO

"Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

14. Likes Norm liked this post