In 1974, Shanghai Watch Factory marketed its first Standard Movement (tongji) watches. A number of different models were manufactured, but probably the model produced in the greatest numbers was the 7120, a tongji watch without calendar in a stainless steel case.

This is an early 7120, one of the earliest.

Early 7120 casebacks are different from most 7120 casebacks; they look a lot like the ones found on 1524 models. The batch number, 201, is the lowest number I’ve seen. It’s possible that 201 was the first batch of 7120s produced, and it may have been the first batch of SWF standard movement watches intended to be sold domestically.

Typical of early Shanghai tongjis, this one’s inscribed with the Budlet (Chunlei) logo. Under the balance is BB SS7 above 中国 上海. BB is a date code (February 1975), SS7 was Shanghai Watch Factory’s designation for their early standard movements, and 中国 is China Shanghai.

Another 7120 – this one’s batch number is 202.

The date code under the balance is BB.

Whenever I see a very early 7120, I’m reminded of supersong115’s wonderful story about his grandpa’s watch (at the other place). I often wonder about previous owners of the watches I buy, and it gives me pause to consider that some of the beauties I pick up for a few yuan undoubtedly were once treasured possessions obtained through a significant amount of sacrifice.