Likes Likes:  250
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Eaglemoss Military Watches Collection.

MWC vet, still collecting Churchy's Avatar
    London, I am NOT a cockney, though I live nearer to Bow Bells than most "cockneys" do.
    Blog Entries
    MWC 100 - 1970s British Naval Diver

In the years after the conclusion of World War II the Royal Navy went through a series of changes and the number of active vessels was reduced.
    in spite of the fresh memory of global conflict, regular conflicts between opposing ideologies were always proving world peace was difficult, if not impossible to achieve. The commitment of the United Kingdom to both NATO and United Nations roles meant Navy personnel and vessels have regularly been in action all over the world, in both peacekeeping and conventional roles.
    The Clearance Diving Branch of the Royal Navy was officially raised in 1952, but had effectively been in constantly active operations since the end of the war.
    WWII veterans continued to provide training for the new Branch, who's role included removing blockages of harbours, by exposive demolition, as well as the removal of thousands of tones of munitions and anti submarine/shipping mine fields.
    Clearance Divers are highly trained professionals, they used to working calmly in what are frequently very difficult conditions, poor light, strong currents and the possibility of old explosives detonating without warning, do not make the tasks they undertake in any way easy.
    Divers in these conditions have to have the best, most reliable equipment, and during this time one of the watches they would use for dive operations would be the Omega Seamaster

Case
    Polished case, 40.5mm across, 42.2mm at the crown, which is partially recessed into the case.
    10.5mm deep, 45.3mm Lug to Lug, 20mm lug width
    Case Interior, 33.8mm diameter, 7mm deep. 5mm crown, 31mm glass.
    Dial
    Black Dial with white printed scale, Hours indicated by large tapered markers, extra large triangle at 12
    Polished sword shaped minute and hour hands with orange infill, slim polished second hand has a small, orange filled, arrow head near the tip
    Bezel
    39.5 mm non rotating bezel, Black plastic insert with Yellow indices, Arabic numerals at ten minute marks, small triangle at 12
    Strap
    Black Nylon Strap 20mm wide at the lug, 20mm buckle, approx. fitting 175/215mm

The issue 38 watch was very similar to this, but was instead based on the later quartz Precista watches

MWC vet, still collecting Churchy's Avatar
    London, I am NOT a cockney, though I live nearer to Bow Bells than most "cockneys" do.
    Blog Entries

Eaglemoss Military Watches Collection.

Well that as they say is all folks, 100 regular issues, 10 “special editions” and 1 subscribers bonus.
    There have been a few good watches and just as many disappointments, but I must say I do feel I have learnt a lot through this collection, mostly that war is terrible, especially for those who have no choice in what is going on in their back yard and bear the brunt of the loss and suffering.
    But it does also bring out the best in many and drives innovation that eventually benefits everybody, I just wish that we could innovate without such sacrifice.
    Thank you all for sticking with it , and if you have any requests for information about the watches in this collection, I will do my best if you send me a PM

Best regards
    DAVE

Huge applause, Churchy!
    That’s an amazing job you’ve done there, summarising each watch (the original and the MWC ‘take’), your lovingly detailed photos of hands etc

And it *has* been an education. Certain watch manufacturers give off the vibe that thanks only to them, space was conquered, wars were won, planes were flown.

Whereas it has been more complicated (and international) than that

Thank you, MWC, for inspiring this forum’s band of affordable watch fiends - and thanks Churchy for being a faithful chronicler over years

Cheers!

What now?
    A matchstick model of the Victory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

4. Likes Churchy, theoldwoman, stuart.aspey liked this post
    Churchy, even though I stopped collecting after the first 9 watches, I've waited impatiently for all your reviews, and you've even had me wishing I'd been able to buy some of them.

As I sit and write this, wearing a watch I now treasure but didn't know existed before the Eaglemoss MWC collection started, I thank you for your labour of love and your reviews.

What a great little community this is

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain......

Proud veteran of the Military Watches Collection thread. 18th February 2014-22nd November 2014. Gone but never forgotten.

6. Likes OhDark30, Churchy, The Watch Smeller liked this post
    I'm happy to say that this thread has been nominated for inclusion in the Library.

The thread will be copied to the Library - and a well-deserved badge will be awarded.

Thanks to Churchy from all of IWL.

I followed this thread closely and came back more than once, to pick up information I needed. You did an amazing job showing and commenting the whole series. I learned a lot from you.

Thank you very much.

9. Likes OhDark30, Churchy, The Watch Smeller liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post

The thread will be copied to the Library - and a well-deserved badge will be awarded.

Well-deserved, indeed.

11. Likes Churchy liked this post
    Sorry this is so late - just rejoined after a lengthy absence.
    Amazing thread that started my interest in affordable watch choices and member ship here and previous forum.
    Think I also bought upto issue 8 or 9, keenly waiting on Churchy's advance review as subscriber before shop release, before branching out to others from advice from members.
    Thanks Churchy - you deserve a medal!

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Yes Churchy carried out the long slog to the end nice to hear from you

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
    Lots of old watches, ex mwc vet -Ceud mile failte , CWC ,,Longines Legend diver ., Omega Geneva & Seamaster 300 GMT, Seiko King Seiko plus,, Tudor black bay 58, Tissot Titanium Chronograph. Seiko miscellaneous.

Good evening. I have somehow managed to accidentally not return for 5 years. My watch collection has ballooned and my bank balance depleted. I'm missing a couple near the end of this great collection. @Churchy in 2015, you messaged me on WUS to say you were coming to this great site and I think I followed you here, maybe for a month before I logged out, I can't remember why, whether the tapatalk app on my phone was playing up, or that I was spending too much time on Facebook, but I forgot.... I had a notification on play store to update my tapatalk app and I did and WUS and IWL were there and you great people that I was chatting with in 2014 and 2015, please forgive me for forgetting you

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

15. Likes Mystic Nerd liked this post