Likes Likes:  39
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Headphone thread

Headphone thread

I have been getting into audiophile headphones a little recently and have had opportunity to try out a few different ones for extended period of time.

I have a pair of Superlux HD681 EVO and H668b. I am amazed at the quality of sound that you can get for so little money.
    I am pretty sure these headphones use the same drivers. The HD681 has little more bass, a little less sound stage and a little less sound leakage whereas the HD668b is the opposite. Honestly I'd pick these ahead of couple other more expensive headphones I have tried.

I have also got to try out the JVC HA-SZ2000, Bang and Olufsen H6, Sony MDR-7506 and AKG K271.
    The JVC HA-SZ2000s are a bassheads headphone. They make Beats look weak in terms of bass while having decent mids and highs. These aren't a true audiophile headphone but they will try their best to shake your brain lose (espicially with Wiz Khalifa's On My Level). They are fairly heavy but yet still pretty comfortable to wear for a lot time. I may buy myself a pair of these but I will only use them for rap and EDM.
    The Bang and Olufsen H6s are amazing. The soundstage is huge for a closed can. The highs and mids are just amazing so smooth and beautiful. The low end is the weak point of these headphones. I It is a lot better in terms of bass through an amp (I have an FiiO Q1 at work). Plus they look amazing and the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. Listening to Black Hill's River and Shore on these headphones is one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard. (Album is here https://blackhill1.bandcamp.com/album/rivers-shores and super cheap I'd highly recommend it).
    The Sony MDR-7506 are studio headphones. Honestly I wouldn't buy these. The sound is very cold but the mids and highs are very accurate. The low end is weak. The soundstage is really small. Comfort is not bad and they fold up nicely but they have world's longest cord so portability isn't great.
    The AKG K271. The highs and mids on these are good but not nearly as crisp as the B&O H6. It does a very good job with guitars but it is a little harsh with pianos. The low end is a little weak on these. Honestly I don't think I prefer these to my Superlux.

I also should be able to try out Meze 99 Classics to try out (which I hope sound half as good as they look).

I personally have a couple IEMs on the way (HiFiman RE-00, Tenmark Piano and Fostex TE-02N to try out some IEMs since I am more of a full size can fan. I have a CEntrance DACport Slim on the way as well.

Any one else a headphone fan? What are your favorite headphones?
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; May 27, 2016 at 02:07 PM.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

What are your favorite headphones?
    AKG, Beyer or Sennheiser.

Don't consider any others

3. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Right now, my Klipsch S4i Actives get all the work. I'm out in the rain and snow a lot these days, and I need an in-ear headphone that can withstand that and not fall out of my ears. I don't think they have as good sound as my Monster Turbines, but the Turbines' all-metal construction mean they're very heavy and fall out easily when moving around.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Seriously View Post
    AKG, Beyer or Sennheiser.

Don't consider any others
    You don't consider any others or no one should consider any others? Cause I would strongly disagree with the second statement.

6. Likes Seriously liked this post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes pepperami liked this post
    Blog Entries
    In the studio I reference on Sennheiser HD600 and Alessandro MS-1 (modded Grados) with the open comfy pads. I have listened to many different hi-end headphones and I'm fond of Stax and a few others, but they all do something differently weird in different ways. I come to rely on the HD600 for predictable midrange and the best ear comfort (I wear eyeglasses, which is always a problem with headphones).
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

10. Likes iyonk liked this post
    See, he knows

12. Likes iyonk liked this post
    It's been a while. I've been using in ears types (Fisher Audio and Etymotic Research), and only have some SONY MDR-V6 (regular) headphones, while not audiophile, I think they are accurate and sound pretty good. I wouldn't mind exploring some audiophile grade headphones sometime in the future.

At CES I did get to try the HiFi Man HE-1000 through some tube headphone amp and super duper expensive DAC. It was quite sublime, actually.
    Last edited by gnuyork; May 29, 2016 at 01:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    Haven't used over the ears in years. My ears, whole not fried, aren't young anymore. I use a pair of Etymotics when I am desk bound or a pair of Bluetooth (name of which I can't remember) when I am mobile and do not want to deal with the sound made by the cord.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    In the studio I reference on Sennheiser HD600 and Alessandro MS-1 (modded Grados) with the open comfy pads. I have listened to many different hi-end headphones and I'm fond of Stax and a few others, but they all do something differently weird in different ways. I come to rely on the HD600 for predictable midrange and the best ear comfort (I wear eyeglasses, which is always a problem with headphones).
    I want to try out some HD600 or HD650s at some point. Have some Grado SR60s incoming.

Stax and some nice planars are definitely on my want list.

I have always loved music but I started realizing about a year ago how important good equipment is to that. I don't really have any room for a full blown speaker setup so headphones are my fix instead.
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; May 31, 2016 at 07:14 PM.