Likes Likes:  53
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Don't think I've ever posted this before.

2. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    pretty amazing piece there

4. Likes Henry Krinkle liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    Very nice Henry.
    South Bend was an interesting American watch company. It was founded in 1903 from the remains of the bankrupt Columbus Watch Company, and moved to South Bend IN. It was owned by members of the famous Studebaker automotive family.
    Unfortunately like many of its American competitors South Bend was a casualty of the Great Depression.
    Yes, they also sold Studebaker watches didn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Good story of a lovely watch.

I wish I had a small part of your skills, because, when it comes to even the most basic drawing, all my fingers become thumbs...!
    Well, you clearly can "see" well! Whether or not you can draw your photography shows a sharp eye and ability with the camera.

7. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexvil View Post
    Nice South Bend, the case is also not original.

What's the giveaway?

Thank you all for the kind words regarding both the watch and my painting!

Blog Entries
    You said 'porcelain' dial but I'm thinking you actually meant 'enamel'...? I don't know how one would make something that thin out of porcelain, and if one could it would be brittle as hell. I used to do a lot of ceramicware when I was a potter, and I really can't imagine such a thing. I'm open to being amazed though.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    You said 'porcelain' dial but I'm thinking you actually meant 'enamel'...? I don't know how one would make something that thin out of porcelain, and if one could it would be brittle as hell. I used to do a lot of ceramicware when I was a potter, and I really can't imagine such a thing. I'm open to being amazed though.

I believe you are correct. Clearly there is a substrate.

I am a screenprinter and we refer to things like decorative enamel table tops, or anything with a hand ground fired finish, as porcelain so as not to confuse them with enamel printing inks, which are closer to enamel house paint than they are to decorative enamel.

In my defense one sees many dial restoration services refer to them as porcelain dials too.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; Dec 10, 2014 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Last year's was quite a bit of fun. I did two. They were both process prints of painting I did of Las Vegas neon signs. I printed them on a chrome silver paper and did the neon in luminous ink.

Not very Christmas-y but a lot of fun! The original paintings.

I've got to get on your Christmas list, Henry! I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but those neon paintings are fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    I've got to get on your Christmas list, Henry! I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but those neon paintings are fantastic!
    Thanks Brian.

Brandon got one of the cowboy last year. I was in the middle of buying his deck watch around Christmas time.