Likes Likes:  12

Thread: Grand Seiko SBGR061

Grand Seiko SBGR061

Let me be upfront and say it is almost impossible to convey through photographs anywhere close to the experience of what is like to actually handle or wear this watch.
    Yes, it has been said before, this absolutely has to been seen in person to appreciate just how magnificent this really is. Anything less is an injustice to the watch and honestly to any watch fan who judges this solely on pictures.

Grand Seiko since 1960 has operated under and manufactured toward 4 core values:
    -Precision
    -Legibility
    -Comfort
    -Durability

The SBGR061 expertly delivers on each in a way that forges form and function so exquisitely that it is not only a pleasure to own but more of a honor to own. It really makes that much of an connection with the owner.

This SBGR061 is the watch that rubs thinnest the walls between our reality and Heaven.

Dramatic?, Over the top? Perhaps....that being said, this is as closest to an heirloom watch that I have owned. Will it happen, probably not, but still that is not statement to be taken lightly.

Walking around the 39.5mm case....easily wears larger due to large dial to bezel ratio....

The lugs are nothing short of majestic. flowing, arching, chamfered:

Flat sides of the lugs flow into the rounded midcase and then topped by flat bezel. The angles work together in playful harmony to create a light show from the zaratsu blade polishing (that I'm convinced to carried out by ancient masters hidden in the Japanese mountains)

The markers have many facets/angles that capture and reflect even the lowest light conditions. Again, this has to be experienced to understand

The date aperture is proudly framed and the interior walls are finished to match to finish on the date wheel. Nice attention to detail.

Speaking of attention to detail - the applied "Seiko" on top of the dial and the applied "GS" on the bottom are purposefully not set flush to the dial adding more depth. Oh, and check out the thick script used for "Grand Seiko"

The crystal is boxed sapphire and slightly domed.

The hands....more blade polishing and I'm sure the watchmaker has to wear protective gloves when handling them so as to not cut themselves.

The Blued second hand is perfect agains the cream dial. There is a model with a polished second hand but I much prefer the blued

The signed crown is deeply notched and is blessing to wind.

The in-house 9S65 caliber has 72 hour peer reserve, is smooth, accurate and finely appointed.

OEM Strap is fine burgundy alligator on a very comfortable and easy to operate deployant. If you don't like deplyants the tang can me removed and used sperately. The engraving on the clasp is michelangelo-esque.

Put it altogether and you arrive at the heart and soul, the essence of watchmaking.

And finally, take a minute to watch a few videos that are out there about Grand Seiko....not the slick ads or promo material, but the ones of the watchmakers themselves and watch their passion, skill, enthusiasm, humility and precision if their craftsmanship.

Source: Hodinkee

Oh man - what a watch. And your photography... Well done. The dictionary definition of good fit and finish should just be these pictures.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

3. Likes rockmastermike liked this post

5. Likes rockmastermike, geoffbot liked this post
    Thank you!
    The dial color is the hardest to capture in pictures.
    Many show it too creamy and other overcorrect and it appears washed out
    In reality it is right in the middle and has to be seen in person, to me it is perfect.
    Last edited by rockmastermike; Jul 21, 2016 at 12:07 PM.

If you don't post these on instagram I will!

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    If you don't post these on instagram I will!
    geoffbot - feel free to do so, sir

9. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Excellent photography!
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

11. Likes rockmastermike liked this post
    Done! It belongs in your gallery too though - post it up.

13. Likes rockmastermike liked this post