Likes Likes:  171
Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beer

Dive Watches & Japanese Moderator OTGabe's Avatar

Beer

No way we should have a whiskey thread without a beer thread. I'm a big craft beer fan, and I've done some homebrewing over the years. Got into reviewing beers years ago and I have hundreds in my notebook. So what's your malted brew of choice?

If I had to pick only one forever, it would be Bell's Two Hearted Ale out of Kalamazoo, MI. It's a US IPA in an east coast style, with more floral and fruity notes compared to the bitter, piney west-coast IPAs. This time of year I enjoy a good marzen, as well as some winter warmers as we approach the holidays. I also love a good pilsner - not the yellow fizzy stuff from Bud or Miller, but a real pilsner. Something like Prima Pils from Victory Brewing in Pennsylvania.

I could ramble on for day, but first I'd better be sure someone is listening...

2. Likes geoffbot, M. Montaigne, Samanator liked this post
    I like most ales. Not a porter fan myself, and I prefer middle of the road to overly hoppy or too dark.

However Meantime Brewery serves up some excellent beers - Yakima red is a particular favourite of mine.

Now don't rule out all lagers - there are some excellent offerings from micro breweries, just not anywhere near as readily available as decent ales. I hate light, fizzy ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    I like the Belgian stuff. Chimay rouge or Leffe bruin. The UK bitter is pretty good too. Fuller's London Pride.

Few things are more delightful than grandchildren fighting over your lap. ~Doug Larson

5. Likes geoffbot, hayday liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RayMac View Post
    I like the Belgian stuff. Chimay rouge or Leffe bruin. The UK bitter is pretty good too. Fuller's London Pride.
    Yep - we make it good here, in my county especially (Sussex). London pride is a great staple available almost everywhere.

I always go for local stuff. There's always a pump or two among the Carlsberg, John Smiths etc, and it's alway worth a try at least.

Bitter for me, from the barrel. Favourites include Samuel Smiths Old Brewery and Greene King IPA. I used to go hop-picking as a child, so anything with the green, dusty aroma of hops hits the button.

There's a few bottled beers I like, including Pilsner Urquell for its steely dryness and Peroni for its freshness.

I generally steer clear of stronger speciality beers and things with novelty flavours. Old-fashioned quaffing beer by the pint, that'll do me.

9. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Just tried my new favorite beer. Normally not a Pils guy but I loved this....

Light but a little hoppy bite. Really surprised how much I liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

11. Likes OTGabe, Rusty liked this post
    Here in Ontario, we pay a high price for alcoholic beverages; so I tend to drink this:

However, this evening we will go to the Ashton pub, where they make their own beers, the one I like best;

Ashton Cream Ale OG: 1050 ABV: 5% SRM: 6 IBUs: 20
    • Traditionally cream ales were made by ale brewers trying to simulate lagers. Many of these brewers added flaked corn to the recipe to give it a smoother, creamier taste, hence the name "cream ale". Ashton cream is made with a combination of grains, these include pale malted barley, carastan malt, and wheat flakes. The beer has a light golden colour, is moderately hopped, and has a creamy mouth feel. Using sazz hops for aromatics, imparts a slightly floral nose and may cause pilsner drinkers to think they have just ordered their favourite Czechoslovakian pils. This is a great beer for people that are not convinced that they like the traditional British ales, but want a premium beer with a north American flare.

John
    If you come to a fork in the road; take it, and then put it down so someone else can use it.

Blog Entries
    Not a huge beer fan but I do like the stuff. I really like going to a local brewery called Jailbreak Brewery where they have a different food truck daily. Good stuff!

What, prey tell, is a high price', John?!