Likes Likes:  10

Thread: **** What's your take on this ****

**** What's your take on this ****

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/i...ss-appeal.html

well happen across this article and some of the facts ( guess) seem made up ?

What is your take on this and the list seem skewered in some way and also the fact that his research seem to have left out a whole load of russian watches that have double if not treble in price since bought going back ten years or so and a strela 3017 was like £50 now a good condition one is like £600..

So do you think he did due diligence on his research or was their more guessing done then research and does it not seem more an advert for watchcon and well let's say some of the wording I found questionable ?

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

I for one am glad they did not mention Russian watches as that keeps the price where it should be and not inflated. Otherwise they will start being a commodity (like houses) with inflated prices that people cannot afford.
    Last edited by DJW GB; Aug 6, 2016 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJW GB View Post
    I for one am glad they did not mention Russian watches as that keeps the price where it should be and not inflated. Otherwise they will start being a commodity (like houses) with inflated prices that people cannot afford.
    true but it was the fact it was the same story as always no real thought gone into it no looking for a new angle no really fact finding behind it just the same stuff regurgitated with out even much change ...

and done as wow this is all new but same names same everything no mention to style or quality or type really as a chrono will always make more on some watches for the fact of the chrono yes a lot of cost to service some say but worth it ...

there are french / russian / German and other brands that are gaining a following and whose prices will gain..

if ( I saying if ) the likes of Rolex and the like where to go out of fashion it would lose a lot as an investment ...

but say a more rare watch will always hold a price more so I do believe ...

so for investment I would not maybe go Rolex necessary and if so maybe a more unfavor one which might end up rarer ..

so question guys/girls so say pure on investment side leaving off personnel taste which would be the best to go for ...

maybe a few options to pocket . as say a rolex even unused would still need to be services for the passport to be stamped to keep the collectors happy so some other brands this would not be an option hence a saving there ...

so a few different price points might be good ... as some people might be thinking if things go the way they are going to have some thing hard would better then sometimes cash investment when you could end up with nothing worse case this way you got something pretty to look at if you can't get a healthy profit
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

I hardly ever think about values, and wouldn't want to. Looking down at your wrist and seeing money isn't as good as seeing a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    I hardly ever think about values, and wouldn't want to. Looking down at your wrist and seeing money isn't as good as seeing a watch.
    true but it was the story line of watches as investment you could wear ...

yes I would be to worried to damage it if I was to wear one ...

just wondering what members take was on the article and it thoughts
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Blog Entries
    Treating watch collecting as an investment strikes me as 1) risky 2) takes the fun out of it. I love vintage watches, but I am happy to stay with my $200 Longines or Hamiltons. If I had a $30,000 1958 Rolex sub it would have to live in the bank box and never see the love it deserves. It's a bit like investing in first growth Bordeaux or Burgundies. For heaven's sake why would a person spend thousands for a wine nobody drinks?
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

7. Likes hayday, popoki nui liked this post
    What do I think about the article? I like the picture of the pretty girl. It's the only really useful thing in that article.

9. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    What do I think about the article? I like the picture of the pretty girl. It's the only really useful thing in that article.
    Agreed - it was pretty fluffy. They should compare it to other investments like houses or shares. And they should use better examples - like standard rolex sub. This is, in my uneducated opinion an excellent counter argument http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-pr...ling-analysis/

Can you guarantee that buying a limited edition patek today will yield a better return than investment in x in 10 years?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Agreed - it was pretty fluffy. They should compare it to other investments like houses or shares. And they should use better examples - like standard rolex sub. This is, in my uneducated opinion an excellent counter argument http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-pr...ling-analysis/

Can you guarantee that buying a limited edition patek today will yield a better return than investment in x in 10 years?

That's a good article. I think I might summarize it as "Rolex pricing is tracking the growth in personal income and wealth, not inflation." Indeed, I suspect luxury watches are generally overpriced for this very reason - not because they offer investment opportunities, but to offer expensive baubles to help people spend disposable income.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

12. Likes popoki nui, is that my watch liked this post