Likes Likes:  402
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: £££££££ WRUW Sunday 04/09/2016 £££££££

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Love the new arrivals, gents. I'm sticking with mine, too.

I was expecting another watch yesterday, but the USPS tracking goes cold on Sept 2 in Los Angeles. It's happened to me before, hoping it turns up this week.

-- Wayne
    Lovely watch.

2. Likes happyscrappyheropup, iyonk liked this post

All RR, all the time

Weekly rotation:

In my pocket, a 1951 Ball-Hamilton 999B. I have one younger example (1953). This one has a Montgomery dial (minute markers around the edge, with the 5's in red) and is in an actual Ball case. At this point in history, Ball-Hamilton and Hamilton were the only game in town for classic RR grade watches. I suspect that, by now, the rich folk bought the Ball-Hamilton's and the working stiffs opted for the Hamiltons. Once we get past 1953, all I have in my collection are Hamilton 992Bs - until 1968, when we reached the end of the line.

Name:  BallHamilton1B23984_4September2016.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  78.3 KB
    Name:  BallHamilton1B23984Movement4September2016.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  111.1 KB

On my wrist, the wave of the future. A RR approved Bulova Accutron "hummer". Fresh from the spa, it is humming along nicely. From 1965. Could this be the watch that killed Hamilton?

Name:  AccutronRR4September2016.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  59.7 KB
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Lovely watch.
    Thanks, C. I really like it. Can't wait to test out its durability. 😁

-- Wayne

5. Likes CFR, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by KennethRSloan View Post
    Weekly rotation:

In my pocket, a 1951 Ball-Hamilton 999B.

On my wrist, the wave of the future. A RR approved Bulova Accutron "hummer".

Two great watches. That pocket watch is beautiful.

-- Wayne

7. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Thanks. Obviously, I agree! I could make a case that my entire PW collection is about the path leading to this watch (and then, to the 1968 Hamilton 992B).

Good sized, too - the case is 50mm.

The Accutron is pretty clearly following the fashion - just on the wrist, tuning fork driven, and (appropriately) smaller. It's 35mm. Blow up that dial to 50mm and put it on a PW, and it would be perfectly appropriate. The one major difference is the central seconds instead of a sub-dial. Just not enough room on the dial.

Note that PW used on the RR shrank in size until they reached this size - and then stayed there. It's the difference between looking down at a PW (at nearly arms length) and bending your elbow to bring the wrist in view. Holding the PW at my waist and bringing my wrist up to about chest height, the two dials subtend approximately the same angle. So, in use, they are very similar in appearance!

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Two great watches. That pocket watch is beautiful.

-- Wayne
    La lutte elle-même vers les sommets suffit à remplir un cœur d'homme; il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux.

9. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post