Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, I have no power reserve!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I don't have any PR watches, and it's the autos I wish had them, at least on the back. The manuals I know how much reserve they've got left, as I know when I wound them. The autos after 24 hours off the wrist I'm wondering: how much reserve did you have when I took you off....?
    True, true. I think a PR is way more useful on an automatic.

However, I don't think I've ever seen one implemented cleanly on a watch dial. They all look like afterthoughts, like a bit of graffiti on the dial.

I mean, if you're going to do it, put it somewhere out of sight, like around back. If I'm wearing the watch, I don't need to know how much power it has left. I 'm wearing it. I'm no watch expert, but by wearing an automatic, it magically charges based on your mood or something like that. So if you're wearing it and moving around, it'll get wound. If you're so sedentary that there's a risk that a worn automatic watch might stop (this has actually happened to me; a couple years ago at work around Christmastime, I tried to T-Rex myself into looking busy, so I just sat at my desk minimally moving. My Hamilton stopped), then you probably have enough time to take it off and check the back.

Sorry, I came in here with an open mind, but somewhere along the way....

2. Likes Der Amf, Nokie, jsw41 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    True, true. I think a PR is way more useful on an automatic.
    However, I don't think I've ever seen one implemented cleanly on a watch dial. They all look like afterthoughts, like a bit of graffiti on the dial.
    I mean, if you're going to do it, put it somewhere out of sight, like around back. If I'm wearing the watch, I don't need to know how much power it has left.
    Sorry, I came in here with an open mind, but somewhere along the way....
    You should check out the Nomos - but hand winders

Name:  Nomos_Tangente_Gangreserve_Blumentopf.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  nm004-nm012.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  37.1 KB
    Last edited by Seriously; Dec 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM.

I used to own this Marvin which is 38mm X 50mm

5. Likes Der Amf liked this post
    PR is neat to have.... but from a practical point of view when the box gets to some critical mass you ain't gonna keep them all wound up so just deal with reseting the watch you want to wear when you want to wear it!

7. Likes Nokie liked this post
    It's twice your budget but an awesome watch... IWC Portuguese Automatic 7-Day, White Face, Blue Hands... pic borrowed from the googz

Name:  L1090997+(2).jpg
Views: 124
Size:  47.9 KB
    Dan :: Ball/ Benarus/ Boschett/ Damasko/ Doxa/ IWC/ Longines/ Omega/ Precista/ Rolex/ Seiko/ Sinn/ Tudor/ Tutima.

9. Likes Seriously, MHe225 liked this post
    The Marvins are nice but yes too dressy.

Hadnt considered the Ball. Perhaps they have a non BMW model with reserve. Sold the Bimmer two years ago and it might be like the guys that wear a Ferrari jacket without having the keys in their pocket

IWC is sweet but even gently used won't bring it under 5k I'm sure.

Nomos I like, and do keep coming back to it but the autob PR's are way small, and I actually would consider a a mechanical from them but there is just something about the long skinny lugs that doesn't sit well with me, otherwise it would be a great one.

There re is a Zenith and an Ebel I don't mind but the former too expensive and the latter has proprietary straps that would drive me mad. Already had to fix one on a 1911 for a friend. Was a pain, but I'm also a bit of a strapaholic so that just doesn't work for me. A Max Bill with power reserve would be on my wrist already!

Appreciate the responses and ideas

My only PR watches are my Spring Drives, as I can't have them otherwise.

All I do is look and them and obsess with keeping them wound........OCD is a bitch!
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post

All I do is look and them and obsess with keeping them wound........OCD is a bitch!
    I can fully see myself doing that

Seeing as you'd wear a Max Bill with PR in a flash,........ maybe not so expensive a watch but how about this?:

Name:  junkers.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  110.2 KB

14. Likes Rob, igo69 liked this post
    The Junkers Bauhaus is in my radar. I've actually had it in my cart a few times on Amazon but keep pulling back. Two reason: the first is that while I've been on this eternal search for sub 1k affordables that I'm happy with, I've been terribly unsuccessful and its getting expensive. The second is that it drives me nuts seeing a white date wheel on a black dial. I'm not going to totally dismiss it just yet as it is a good thought, but if I can find something with greater likelihood of long term staying power I'd rather go that way.

16. Likes Seriously liked this post