Likes Likes:  613
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Any Pen People here?

Blog Entries
    Part of the problem as well is that they have been making pens for so long. Requires a real expert in the brand. I have only one Waterman, kind of a vintage FP. So I am little help. Fountain pen network may be able to help...

dan

2. Likes Spooky liked this post

4. Likes Dan R, Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I just bought these:
    https://everyman.us/products/grafton...nt=18500388291

The silver one should be coming in a week or so (they're on hiatus) and the black in November. I really like the way G2s write, and this will give me a more robust body to it.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

6. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the links Stela. Based on the history, my vintage is a Waterman CF 14k. The cartridge is indeed unique. The seller gave me ln that looks to be put together from two other cartridges. But it works like a champ.

Thanks!

Dan

8. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Pens are like watches in that what's inside determines the writing quality, just as the movement of a watch determines the time keeping ability of the watch. The exception is fountain pens, in which the quality and configuration of the nib largely determines the writing quality. In all other cases the pen itself is merely a carrier for the cartridge or refill. That's not to say the pen is of no importance -- the shape, weight, balance, and overall feel of the pen contribute hugely to its quality as a writing instrument. However, as in the case of watches, a cheap pen with a good cartridge or refill can write just as beautifully as a pen costing a hundred times as much.

Aside from the aforementioned characteristics, finer pens offer aesthetic beauty, sometimes precious or semiprecious materials, and exquisite craftsmanship.

I've never been into fountain pens, but the quality of the feeding system and the nib are primary concerns. From what I gather you don't have to spend the down payment on a house in Blackhawk to get a high quality fountain pen. Some of the mid-priced ones are reputed to be quite good. There's also an issue of personal preference in nibs -- some prefer gold, some iridium, some even like steel. You have to experiment to find what suits you.

My preference is rollerballs, and the ones I own that are my faves are a Montegrappa, a Pelican, an Ettore Bugatti, and a Faber Castel. I'll post pix later if I think of it.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

10. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Please excuse my craptacular photographic 'skills'. None of these shots really does justice to the pens.

Name:  Aurora.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  186.2 KB Name:  Cartier.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  145.6 KB Name:  Ettore_Bugatti.JPG
Views: 194
Size:  153.8 KB Name:  Faber_Castel.JPG
Size:  204.1 KB Name:  Montegrappa.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  209.4 KB Name:  Parker_Duofold.JPG
Size:  139.9 KB Name:  Pelican_Souverän2.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  200.5 KB
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

12. Likes FuzzyB, Spooky, Dan R, pepperami liked this post
    Blog Entries
    You, Mr. Strange, have a wonderful collection! Thank you for sharing

And thank you all for your assistance, I feel bad that I ask for info, then somewhat disappear. I apologize. A lot of work and have been sick a little.

It appears I likely have an older Waterman Expert. Now I just need to find a refill for her...off to the Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post

And thank you all for your assistance, I feel bad that I ask for info, then somewhat disappear. I apologize. A lot of work and have been sick a little.

It appears I likely have an older Waterman Expert. Now I just need to find a refill for her...off to the Amazon
    no worries was fun chatting and seeing them will try and take a few pics of mine when I get chance but they wont be as good as the pics above
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

15. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooky View Post

Glad you enjoy them. They really are wonderful tools. Best part is they weren't too spendy. IIRC the Monty was $350 and that was the worst of the lot.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

17. Likes Spooky liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post

Glad you enjoy them. They really are wonderful tools. Best part is they weren't too spendy. IIRC the Monty was $350 and that was the worst of the lot.

I'm putting serious thought towards a Waterman Perspective. I really like how they look:

Plus I hear they write fairly well

19. Likes gnuyork, Dan R, is that my watch liked this post