Likes Likes:  234
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The trouble with G-Shocks

Riseman is my favorite modern gshock,along with mudman 9010 as these two are already have solar charging but still come in manageable size and the riseman felt a bit like destro panerai on the wrist

However my favorite model is gw5000 as the resin is very comfortable and the display is highly legible yet the watch still maintain its stealth as “just another cheap square G”

Yes I do have other Gshocks,like the wademan I came across as NOS in 2016 while I was visiting Japan

2. Likes Samanator, popoki nui, Greg, iyonk liked this post
    Damn I love that metal G, Michael
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

4. Likes Samanator liked this post

The trouble with G-Shocks

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    A feature I’ve always disabled wherever present.

I didn’t want the light coming on unbidden, and had half a mind to power saving in battery models.
    I just want the choice being it may not be seen as a feature to some. I never had a battery G-Shock until the signed 5000 that was a gift. Everything else is solar and either connected,satellite,GPS or atomic to maintain the time. Some are able to use several of these technologies. The Rangeman is solar and can be inductively charged if you use the GPS function often. I’ve not had to use it and have relied on the solar. It is also the only one that can use all of those time correcting technologies. It should never be set wrong. I have a glass topped watch box next to a window so they get a bit of sun every day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Samanator; Feb 21, 2019 at 02:46 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Damn I love that metal G, Michael
    The 5000 or the MT-G?

Cheers,

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    The 5000 or the MT-G?

The 5000. Ooh they've done down in price

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    The 5000. Ooh they've done down in price
    The 5000 is great with most of what you need in a single glance. It's solar, connected and 6 band atomic so it can be a great travel watch. It will also fit easily under a shirt cuff if needed. One of the few G's that can make that claim.
    Cheers,

Michael

The newer 5000 is less expensive because it’s the non LE model (the ones with negative display) the first batch of LE metal 5000 have positive display

Personally I’m not a bracelet person so I tried them several times but my wallet is safe....so far....

Gotcha

As luck would have it, there’s a good and freshly-minted review of the Casio world timer here -

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ca...ue-proposition

12. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Resins.

When I first stared down this barrel, I didn't believe any comparisons between resins. Posts about one resin being softer or better than another resin FOR THE SAME MODEL? That's crazy talk. Now I have three 5600s, well, umm, not so crazy.

I even used to like the word resin and my non-scientific mind was always put at ease by the presence of resin in or on a product. Now a stiff resin on my favourite G-Shock has ruined it. How can there be so much variation with these things? Why do they have to give the good (and pricier) LEs stiffer resins? If you can't do a two-tone resin with the same suppleness of some of the classics, don't do it Casio!

For your commiseration I give you the resins of absolute toughness in my hopefully-completed gshock collection:

1. DW-5700SF-1 - Sneaker Freaker Redback collaboration LE - my favourite gshock - stiffest resin I own, by far - it's straight and doesn't want to bend. It's not exactly wearing in either - grey topside, red backside.
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_2fd3.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  60.1 KB

DW-6900-LU-8D - to some degree this was a "military" LE though I'm not sure of numbers. The resin is so stiff that I can't complain - it is permanently shaped close to the curvature of my wrist, so it is very easy to put on and is strangely comfortable - grey topside, navy backside (super subtle).
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_2fd4.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  55.8 KB

It's the second, comfortable, stiff curved resin that makes the existence of the first uncomfortable stiff straight resin all the more infuriating. I always smile (at least internally) when I see these 5700-5900-6900 series on my wrist, but jeez the 5600 is the more sensible, comfortable, low-profile option, even if they're a little lacking in funk compared to the other classics. On average, better resins too.

14. Likes iyonk, synequano, Greg, popoki nui liked this post