Likes Likes:  5

Thread: WRUW october 2016 starts here

WRUW october 2016 starts here

well friends think my starter for this month is going to be my Trafalgar world time diver from the 70's at a guess
    runs a bit slow or was it fast can't really remember it's in my too tinker with draw so will be sorting it out soon
    so just gave it a whirl to see in October.

so hope you all have a great month and post some of those great vintage watches you post so well

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes Dan R liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Nice start of the month!

Dan

4. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    Nice start of the month!

Dan
    thanks Dan

yeah not bad for a old one ah will need a tweaking but I always think if ticking is good (for some thing I said is 70's might even be 60's) so for some thing 50 odd years old you got to expect to do a little bit of work ant you
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Blog Entries
    I am bad about that. I expect them to do well, which is not reasonable given the age of the watch. I like your attitude!

Dan

7. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    I am bad about that. I expect them to do well, which is not reasonable given the age of the watch. I like your attitude!

Dan
    think I get yours too Dan

think it comes down to price maybe take this one it was a fair price it said running and on time it .. so when I got it ..it wound and held a decent charge for it age ...cosmetically it was in ok condition mainly just a lot of built up dirty on it so cleaned thoroughly polished it and every thing made it look ten times better from when I bought it .

then over the next couple of days notice it was running fast/slow .. so call the seller out on this.. they offer a full refund and would cover both post cost so that was fair of them..

but not going to happen as I had not seen another like it even when looking in to them the gold on the bezel was not seen before on others and the dial colour was slightly different too so did now want to spent ages hunting another up ( plus maybe thinking after all the work I had put in they could end up selling for more even if saying running fast/slow )

so I keep it as a future project

but as I said think it comes down to price a bit as well think I bought that sub £50 with post so I was not expecting much and expecting to do work on it in one form or another

but say if I had spent plus £250 on a watch ( I say plus £250 as a number for me say £100 plus depend on watch of course) I would expect it to work as it should as you are paying a higher price so it should be in a better condition as I said it does depend on the watch of course as some you would buy in any condition if they are as rare as hens teeth

so simple my view changes to match which watch I am buying I suppose a little which with vintage you can never tell how it will turn out till you had them awhile
    Last edited by is that my watch; Oct 2, 2016 at 10:49 AM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    think I get yours too Dan

think it comes down to price maybe take this one it was a fair price it said running and on time it .. so when I got it ..it wound and held a decent charge for it age ...cosmetically it was in ok condition mainly just a lot of built up dirty on it so cleaned thoroughly polished it and every thing made it look ten times better from when I bought it .

then over the next couple of days notice it was running fast/slow .. so call the seller out on this.. they offer a full refund and would cover both post cost so that was fair of them..

but not going to happen as I had not seen another like it even when looking in to them the gold on the bezel was not seen before on others and the dial colour was slightly different too so did now want to spent ages hunting another up ( plus maybe thinking after all the work I had put in they could end up selling for more even if saying running fast/slow )

so I keep it as a future project

but as I said think it comes down to price a bit as well think I bought that sub £50 with post so I was not expecting much and expecting to do work on it in one form or another

but say if I had spent plus £250 on a watch ( I say plus £250 as a number for me say £100 plus depend on watch of course) I would expect it to work as it should as you are paying a higher price so it should be in a better condition as I said it does depend on the watch of course as some you would buy in any condition if they are as rare as hens teeth

so simple my view changes to match which watch I am buying I suppose a little which with vintage you can never tell how it will turn out till you had them awhile
    The big exception, in my opinion, are the pocket watches. Even if you spend a bunch, the split, bi-metaliic balances are not going to keep great time. If so, I wish someone would tell me different. I have tried re-aligning them and have even pulled out and hollowed out screws to poise them. At that point, the old hairspring may be doing me in.

Sigh.

Dan

10. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    not so much in to the know with PW and do not have a very good track record with fixing them love the Russian 3603 as it a workhorse and can be put into most mods with a parnis case dial .. or even in to some old converted PW cases too and is easy to maintain and repair ..

some of the other movements seem a lot more complicated the more you go backward in time got about five in different states of repair from a smiths needing a new crystal ... to a ellisons I think it was pin and barrel if I remember right(missing hands ) I like PW but they just would not get worn with me and have not got space to collect them for the sake of collecting them ... I some times see some great ones going way to cheap but they are out of favour for a lot of people now ...

so I can sort of see the point in saving the movement and recasing ones that have been ripped out there cases for the silver/gold cases to be smelted ...

as the bigger size is in now anyway so think there are movements that should be keep
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

12. Likes Dan R liked this post