Likes Likes:  78
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Over but not out

Over but not out

Looking at Walters recent thread on his collection it brings back to the surface something I have been considering lately. As I have noted a few times I'm completely focused on sport watches and really have no need for anything else. As far a massive moves in my collection when I bought the Blancpain this year I see it as the pinnacle of my kind of highend sport watches. With the Omegas, Pams, Rolex's and Tudors I'm very well settled. While something may come up that I feel I should add there is nothing more up market that I can see. Anything from the trinity do not appear to be in the cards.

So what now, since I still have the will to be in the game. Last year's wait for the Snoopy reminded me of something. My old Pam days habit was buying a watch a year in a collection. This has an appeal, but what should i collect? The current idea is LE Speedmaster Professionals Moon watches. Omega has been adding one of these each year, and the past three years have been exceptional. I have the hardest of those three to get and this years might be found with some patience and a bit of hunting. The 45th anniversary Moon watch from two years ago will have to come from preowned most likely. Having these two to hunt down the road plus a new release each year might be the thing to keep me in the game, but not just as much as now. Also this will yield a very cool secondary collection. The other one I though about was older to modern Subs, but that can get out of hand money wise fast so I wrote it off. What do you think of this idea?

So what I need;

Apollo 11 45th Anniversary Speedy Moon:

CK2998:
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

What's the sotc? And will that remain but with another watch added each year?
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

3. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    This CK2998 is just plain FANTASTIC!

I'm on instagram: @iyonk_strap

5. Likes Jazzmaster, watchdaddy1, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    What's the sotc? And will that remain but with another watch added each year?
    Not certain where you are seeing that, or I don't understand your acronym? Google is not helping either.
    Last edited by Samanator; Sep 25, 2016 at 05:41 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

7. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post

Speedmaster a year

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Not certain where you are seeing that, or I don't understand your acronym?
    Will you go back for earlier ones too? like this one in the link from four years ago? If you are collecting these, I'd definitely put project Alaska on the list.
    https://www.omegawatches.com/watches...1130423099002/

No that one was horrible IMO. I was thinking the Apollo 11 45th is my starting point. Now the Project Alaska I do like, but I can already see this going sideways if I include it and exclude the Apollo coin dial that is impossible to tell the time on.
    Last edited by Samanator; Sep 25, 2016 at 06:59 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

State Of The Collection
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

11. Likes Samanator liked this post
    I think I just figured out the Acronym. State of the collection. That will stay as is, and I pretty much rotate through it in the WRUW thread over the course of two weeks. That included the DSOM Vintage Black as the current second Omega. So overview is:

Three Rolex, two Panerai, Ball and Omega, and one of each of the following: Blancpain, Oris, Nomos, Tudor, Zenith, Zodiac (still to arrive). So 12 in total. I may switch a piece occasionally, but nothing yet.
    Last edited by Samanator; Sep 25, 2016 at 06:43 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

13. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    SOTC=state of the collection.

It's nice to have a goal, and the Omegas would be a continuation of what you've already got. Going down the Rolex collection rabbit hole could be painful, plus IMO not as varied. How many Sub type watches do you need (says the guy with a Hulk and a YM)? I like your idea.

For me, I'm still very tempted by the Seamaster 300 titanium, and next year, I still am thinking the new VC three hand Overseas blue dial, overpriced as it is. At that point I will not want anything more unless I get rid of some, there will be too many to enjoy regularly for me. For a while I was lusting after a couple of others (the Piaget Altiplano Chronograph and the Grand Lange 1, but I've decided I simply don't need any more expensive dressy pieces, given I hope to retire in a few more years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    SOTC=state of the collection.

It's nice to have a goal, and the Omegas would be a continuation of what you've already got. Going down the Rolex collection rabbit hole could be painful, plus IMO not as varied. How many Sub type watches do you need (says the guy with a Hulk and a YM)? I like your idea.

For me, I'm still very tempted by the Seamaster 300 titanium, and next year, I still am thinking the new VC three hand Overseas blue dial, overpriced as it is. At that point I will not want anything more unless I get rid of some, there will be too many to enjoy regularly for me. For a while I was lusting after a couple of others (the Piaget Altiplano Chronograph and the Grand Lange 1, but I've decided I simply don't need any more expensive dressy pieces, given I hope to retire in a few more years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you will like the SM300 MC Ti. For you the obvious choice is Zenith El Primero. You have a great start.
    Cheers,

Michael

16. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post