Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **** Different points in watch collection do they tally with age ****

**** Different points in watch collection do they tally with age ****

Different points in watch collections do they tally with age or just how long you collect for as I have notice
    a change in the way I am looking into watches, collections, grail's,etc etc. a lot maybe I'm just getting thoughtful
    at this time of year/age.

Or maybe it is through association taste change maybe or the confidence to purchase better (which is a subjective word)
    lets same different watches ..

At one time I liked affordable and cheerful watches (still do but they don't seem to hold the same appeal anymore )
    and at one time I had hundreds and hundreds but now I am down sizing my collection and seem to feel better, the more
    I move on in a way maybe every so often it is good to have a good clear out maybe .. or taste change for sure and so
    does cost we all have our up's and down but it's not just that is it ...

maybe I have gain a focus into to certain types over many or a style maybe just not sure.. some that I had for
    months / years I thought I would never move on have gone ...

when looking in my watch draws there's my go to draw which has the most used watches( cwc, combo monster,sk13,3133,IWL63, dw9500,maybe a few more that swap backwards and forwards) and even
    then there are some that get no wrist time that I hold on too and am not sure why if they ant getting used ...

should they be set free ? ....

have got some that I would probably set free but would not make nearly what I paid so they sit in there boxes
    doing nothing ..so should I just take it on the chin and move them on ..or let them sit there longer ...

and then there are some I buy enjoy and sell only to buy again later on and then it all starts again when I move it
    on as needing the space ...

so we talk about this a lot but always seems fresh each time as we change so much between these type of threads
    or we seem to ....

maybe it just how it seem's to me

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Blog Entries
    We might be in a similar phase our our obsession, Ismy, or at least aware as always that the interests shift and evolve. Oddly, I realized years ago that I don't have a huge emotional attachment to 90% of my watches, and I haven't hesitated to sell one if someone expressed interest. Yet, I have a few that I don't feel a huge attachment, but haven't sold because there isn't much interest. Because I don't have a fortune invested in them, I don't mind just enjoying what I have and wearing it in rotation. Still with about 4 dozen watches, I could easily be satisfied with a half dozen... but which ones? I like the ones I have and I enjoy pretending to shop for others, rarely even buy one if it rings my bells, but mostly just for the entertainment value of playing with something interesting. Horology still holds a strong appeal for me, but I don't yearn to "upscale" my collection or go lusting after "grails". It's just for fun.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

3. Likes is that my watch, Chicolabronse liked this post
    yes indeed I think we mirror each other at least with the Russians I have notice we seem to have a few in common but yes fairly new realisation for me that a good % of my collection hold no attachment to me... some bought on a whim some bought to cheer myself up or some to do threads on... so these just are if they make sense got some at the minute that have a pull but not as many as I did at one time never truly thought about it but getting to a point where a handful collection could be the way to go
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Interesting thoughts ISMY, as time goes by I'm less likely to buy at a 'whim'.

I've actually sold a few watches on recently, something I thought I'd never do!

When you're at the affordable end of the spectrum, as I am, the itch can be harder to scratch and I spent a lot of time searching for a watch that seemed to be far beyond its price, ( I expect that's the same for all collectors?) I came to the realisation that often, price has very little to do with my favourite pieces, currently in my collection

When you have 20+ watches, there's no way you're going to enjoy them all, many will languish, unloved and forgotten .

I'm heading towards a smaller, more concise collection now and it's nice to finally realise it's possible to enjoy horology without continually adding to my collection. As a result all my purchase from here on in will be throughly thought out and hopefully worthwhile purchases 🖒

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

6. Likes is that my watch, Chicolabronse liked this post
    think also there is a thing that at a certain point we have step up a level so to speak as if we can't find what we want at one point so we look a bit higher then save for it so this cuts out the impulse buys for the most part ..

for me at the minute apart from the ENG chrono I really have not got anything catching my eye so I find am looking at my collection with a new light I suppose..

as got most of what I want and some that I was mad for now a few months / years down the line hold no appeal not that it is a easy thing to explain..

think as we learn we crave different from what we first do.. so name of the game and experiences I suppose so think there will be more sold then bought for the near future with me
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

8. Likes pepperami liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post

When you have 20+ watches, there's no way you're going to enjoy them all, many will languish, unloved and forgotten .
    Some good points all around, but I don't quite agree on the above. Depending on the watch, there are some I enjoy even if I wear them only 2 or 3 times a year. So I think it's very much possible to have 20,30 even 100+ and enjoy them all.

10. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Some good points all around, but I don't quite agree on the above. Depending on the watch, there are some I enjoy even if I wear them only 2 or 3 times a year. So I think it's very much possible to have 20,30 even 100+ and enjoy them all.
    hmm yes and no for me like the IWL63 but it wont get worn that much as it is for special but that is ok.
    but there are some that could feel that way as deciding that I think the mini monster will go as it
    not a combo monster so don't really need both the combo is more comfortable and loving the Brushed Ion
    case .. so spells curtains for the mini
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by meijlinder View Post
    Do you have any watches you never wear?

There's a few that I rediscover and enjoy but also a couple I'll never wear.

If I had 6 watches and loved them all I'd be a happy man but getting there takes years I expect?

13. Likes CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    Do you have any watches you never wear?

There's a few that I rediscover and enjoy but also a couple I'll never wear.

If I had 6 watches and loved them all I'd be a happy man but getting there takes years I expect?

I wear all of them at least once a year (except a few I haven't gotten around to fixing).
    Have sold off a few recently that I didn't wear and a few I weren't happy not wearing regularly.

15. Likes pepperami liked this post
    Interesting thoughts, Ismy.

My first connection with the dangerous watch's syndrome started early, from an inexplicable interest on chronographs; maybe I should grow up, because I can still feel that attraction, after all these years. "Chronograph" and "wrist watch" were, for a long time, almost equivalent expressions of a unique concept. Yes, I know; crazy.

However, time and experience brought a broader range of types and functions to the game. Learning from your (yes, you,guys) – sometimes divergent but always interesting – tastes, methods and experiences, helped a lot.

The aesthetics from the 40s-60s marked a phase in my "collection": the vintage series, as I usually – and pretentiously - call them. This tendency has declined lately, due to the costs involved and to a highly speculative – not always honest – pre-owned market. Besides, vintages have their own idiosyncrasies and I'm not always in the right mood to face them. It also made me too aware of the tricks played by manufacturers to win the current marathon of the «new-watch-looking-almost-like-a-vintage-but-it's-obviously-a-marketing-exercise»…

On the other hand, divers never had a chance, until the last 5 or 6 years, when I learned two basic things: 1. I will never dive; 2. It's still ok to wear a dive watch. I got a few.

Recently – or not so recently - I learned I hate beaters, because every time I buy a beater – or what was supposed to become one – I keep it looking flawless, defeating the whole principle to just a plain and simple futility. So, no more beaters (for me).

I admit I don't have a pure utilitarian view of my "collection"; I don't feel obliged to wear a watch a certain number of times, to justify its presence. I don't throw away the books I read, the pictures I saw, and the disks I listened…just because I can't or I don't want to repeat the same experience a certain number of times, during a determinate period. Therefore, I like to keep all my watches and re-visit a model or two, "forgotten" somewhere in the last drawer.

That said, I'm not too attached to my watches; with age, we soon start to realize that all things are just…well…temporary.

So, what now? Honestly, I don't really know for sure, but let's try: I believe my vintage motivation is probably going away; the patience for less accomplished (within its price frame) timepieces is clearly fading; the tolerance for trendy amateurish manufacturers is zero. Therefore, the goal is: trying to keep the "collection" in full working conditions.

In summa: I guess I'm really slowing down. Still love chronos, though
    Last edited by CFR; Oct 15, 2016 at 11:49 PM.