Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: **** Different points in watch collection do they tally with age ****

Age, coupled with the experience and acquisition of knowledge that go along with it, is a big factor. Other factors, which can also be related to age, are lifestyle, level of disposable income and peer pressure.

For me, I guess there have been three phases: first steps, exploration and consolidation. The first steps didn't last long, consolidation arrived quite recently, so mostly it's been exploration.

There are few people who explore systematically and with restraint. Most of us, while we might think we're following a fairly straight path, are capable of following just about any scent on the wind.

Frankly, if I look at where I am today with watches... well, I could have got here in five years if I hadn't bought all the watches in between. But I couldn't have. I needed the picaresque journey and I wanted to have fun.

I don't need those things now, and I don't need the stray watches that I picked up along the way.

2. Likes iyonk, uchinanchu liked this post
    most things i have in live is limited to "One".. i have one Mom, one Dad, one set of inlaws, one wife, one boy, one car all the way to one belt, one wallet, one dumb phone and one smart phone...
    Hobby is the only part of my life that i could have 'variations'...
    all of my watches are considered "cheap/inexpensive/affordable" watches, and i'm still having fun with them for now...

as i'm getting older, i know i will give away most of my watches to my close ones (they have terrible re-sale value to bother) with some selection especially for my boy...
    one day i will have a handful of watches that consist of one luxury watch, one daily watch, one dress watch, one sport watch, one 'beater' watch, .. well.. you get the idea..
    I'm on instagram: @iyonk_strap

4. Likes tribe125, CFR, is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Age, coupled with the experience and acquisition of knowledge that go along with it, is a big factor. Other factors, which can also be related to age, are lifestyle, level of disposable income and peer pressure.

For me, I guess there have been three phases: first steps, exploration and consolidation. The first steps didn't last long, consolidation arrived quite recently, so mostly it's been exploration.

There are few people who explore systematically and with restraint. Most of us, while we might think we're following a fairly straight path, are capable of following just about any scent on the wind.

Frankly, if I look at where I am today with watches... well, I could have got here in five years if I hadn't bought all the watches in between. But I couldn't have. I needed the picaresque journey and I wanted to have fun.

I don't need those things now, and I don't need the stray watches that I picked up along the way.
    In a nutshell for me. I used to envy those who got hooked on this passion and then took whatever time necessary to acquire just those few (subjective, but a half dozen or so to me) watches that satisfy "forever". Continuing that thought then, the way that I have done it is crazy, over 90 watches through the years to end up with the 10 or so that look like they will stay for a long term. But as you say, I now realize too that had I not "experimented" up close and personal with the range of watches that have come and gone, I would never be as "satisfied" as I now am. Craziness, eh?

6. Likes tribe125, CFR, iyonk liked this post
    I have been struggling with this myself. I'm at the point where I am very happy with most of what I have; however, there are still a couple of watches I'd like to own. I have around 16 (soon to be 17) that I like to wear regularly. Simple math says that therefore each only comes around once every two weeks or so. So, if I buy more, the cycle lengthens even more. Add in the eight or so others that I'm content to wear just once in a while, and I'm getting close to capacity. The obvious answer is to jettison a few, but which??

8. Likes iyonk, is that my watch, Samanator liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Interesting thoughts, Ismy.

I admit I don't have a pure utilitarian view of my "collection"; I don't feel obliged to wear a watch a certain number of times, to justify its presence. I don't throw away the books I read, the pictures I saw, and the disks I listened…just because I can't or I don't want to repeat the same experience a certain number of times, during a determinate period. Therefore, I like to keep all my watches and
    it's a strange one indeed I seem to be going towards a utilitarian collection of late at one time I had hundreds
    as I say. then needed funds and I did something I had never really thought about and sold some watches to cover
    some things, needs must and it was not an unpleasant as I thought ..

it gave me a free experience as it were and made me look around and realise there was other that could go seem
    like a dam had broke so to speak, and so I move a few more on give me a chance to try watches I would not
    have bought but using the money well part of the money from sale seem ok and then these I could try and have
    fun with them .then flip on to some one else and use part of the money for another and so on giving me a fun change up..

which got me thinking and realizing that I wanted a core collection of a few choice pieces and most the rest
    could go less choice in the morning seem more of a choice if you get me..

with the watches I have been buying of late I don't seem the need to change them up so much can be days / weeks
    sometime before I change up when I had a much bigger collection seem it could be two or three times a day ..

so we all have different ways of looking at things just my thought was before.. I seem to be weigh down with watches
    but now not so less is more seems really suitable to me at the minute
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

10. Likes CFR liked this post
    I have some watches that are worn regularly, some that are worn for special occasions and some that I have just to have. I don't know if this exactly answers you question, ismy, but it is the best way to explain my collection. Additionally, I find myself making fewer and fewer impulse purchases. I may not have every watch I want, but I certainly want every watch I have.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

12. Likes is that my watch, CFR, pepperami liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I have been struggling with this myself. I'm at the point where I am very happy with most of what I have; however, there are still a couple of watches I'd like to own. I have around 16 (soon to be 17) that I like to wear regularly. Simple math says that therefore each only comes around once every two weeks or so. So, if I buy more, the cycle lengthens even more. Add in the eight or so others that I'm content to wear just once in a while, and I'm getting close to capacity. The obvious answer is to jettison a few, but which??
    I've groomed down my collection and adjust mostly up for the watch types I like. I've reached that point that I'm near done, but want to at least have a focused yearly acquisition. Thus the Speedy moon LE plan.

Ive had a large collection and it was insane. I had watches that I forgot I had and ridiculous redundancies. They were not mostly in the affordable category. I would actually prefer to be at a point that everything got worn in the course of a week, but I don't see that happening again. I think my plan yield me what I want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

14. Likes is that my watch, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I may not have every watch I want, but I certainly want every watch I have.

-hayday
    this is a good outlook to have as that is where I want to end up when I get to
    my core collection not sure when this will happen got boxes full am slowly selling
    and then will start on my rotation draw maybe ...

think will want to keep a few iconic watches just becuase and the way the prices
    are going on them in time they might give me a bit of profit too..

and them those that I will have and wear 15 seems like and good number maybe
    or less that just for me I think.

I was also looking at it and with some watches I got the pics and threads
    to remember them and it seem's like that is all I need or want with some. .

so yes must be that sort of time when we all look at our collections it seems

Last edited by is that my watch; Oct 16, 2016 at 02:47 PM.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

16. Likes hayday liked this post
    To clarify things a bit, let's just say I could live perfectly well with one watch on my wrist and another one kept as a backup. And I'm being honest. Really. However, the watches I could probably sell wouldn't bring me back an interesting amount of money: they're not worth much. The others are a different matter. One day - eventually - I'll have to give it a thought...

18. Likes iyonk liked this post
    spent some time yesterday with the collection and found a few more that did not fit my out look any more but that was down to I like them a lot was my favourite but because of swapping wrist. they don't feel right any more on the other wrist and the right way round to boot... so if I can't wear them whats the point of having them ..yes some I would keep what ever these not so fussed on so heading towards my golden number it looks like ....
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy