Likes Likes:  339
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ««««««««« WRUW - Monday - 24 October 2016 »»»»»»»»»

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Today, it is my current favourite vintage piece. It get's more wear than all my other vintages combined. The most extreme of the the NCCs, and likely one of Rado's most extreme designs ever. Rado built 10,000 each of the ref 11826 and 11927 NCC 404s, but it is even harder to find a 404 than it is to track down a 202. From the truly unique case shape, to the crown at 3:50 to the unique to the 404 fishtail, there is nothing regular about this watch. It is another big one for it's time, measuring 40mm X 35mm. My example is another 100% original and unrestored version and came with the original box and warranty card. Even though it has a mineral crystal, it bears the pre-1972 five digit refence. The warranty card says it was sold in August 1972.

PA240010 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

PA240005 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P2190538 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

I suppose at some point, I should explain "NCC". It stands for New Concept (Conception in their Asian print ads) Construction. All the NCCs. and the Diastar 515, are built in an unusual fashion.

PA240012 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

There are actual holes in some of the cases, the 404 has slots between the lugs for instance, and the front and back are held together with four screws.. Even with the holes in the case and no screw down crown Rado managed a reported 250 m Water Proof rating. First the movement was placed in a metal movement holder, then that was placed in a blue gasket/ bladder thingy that covered everything but the dial. A split stem was used to facilitate insertion of the stem and crown.

PA240014 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

The crystal is then placed on top of this whole arrangement. It is slipped through the front of the case. The back is seated precisely over the gasket, helped by the very snug indetation on the inside and then the four screws are affixed. The pressure of the screws holds the crystal firmly in place creating a very waterproof watch. I have only ever seen water damage on one NCC and that is on my 101 and that looks like ingress due to leaving the stem pulled out.
    Of all the Rado's you've ever posted Hank that is without doubt my all time favourite, absolutely stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes Henry Krinkle, watchdaddy1, iyonk liked this post
    Start of the week and it's my rotation onto the office job so no uncomfortable steel toe cap boots for me
    Enjoy your week people.

Quote Originally Posted by watchdaddy1 View Post
    Nomos on custom Nubuck Alligator shoes....

Sent from Galaxy S6 Edge via Tapacrap
    Really lovin' that strap combo on your Nomos William!!! Perfection!
    Cheers,

Chris

5. Likes watchdaddy1, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Watch Smeller View Post
    Of all the Rado's you've ever posted Hank that is without doubt my all time favourite, absolutely stunning.

Thanks Lee. It took me a few years to find a worthy 404 for my collection. I was pretty lucky in that I landed just about the best example I have ever seen. Both the watch and the bracelet are in surprisingly good shape.

7. Likes The Watch Smeller, iyonk liked this post

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    Today, it is my current favourite vintage piece. It get's more wear than all my other vintages combined. The most extreme of the the NCCs, and likely one of Rado's most extreme designs ever. Rado built 10,000 each of the ref 11926 and 11927 NCC 404s, but it is even harder to find a 404 than it is to track down a 202. From the truly unique case shape, to the crown at 3:50 to the unique to the 404 fishtail, there is nothing regular about this watch. It is another big one for it's time, measuring 40mm X 35mm. My example is another 100% original and unrestored version and came with the original box and warranty card. Even though it has a mineral crystal, it bears the pre-1972 five digit reference. The warranty card says it was sold in August 1972.

PA240010 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

PA240005 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P2190538 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

I suppose at some point, I should explain "NCC". It stands for New Concept (Conception in their Asian print ads) Construction. All the NCCs. and the Diastar 515, are built in an unusual fashion.

PA240012 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

There are actual holes in some of the cases, the 404 has slots between the lugs for instance, and the front and back are held together with four screws.. Even with the holes in the case and no screw down crown Rado managed a reported 250 m Water Proof rating. First the movement was placed in a metal movement holder, then that was placed in a blue gasket/ bladder thingy that covered everything but the dial. A split stem was used to facilitate insertion of the stem and crown.

PA240014 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

The crystal is then placed on top of this whole arrangement. It is slipped through the front of the case. The back is seated precisely over the gasket, helped by the very snug indentation on the inside and then the four screws are affixed. The pressure of the screws holds the crystal firmly in place creating a very waterproof watch. I have only ever seen water damage on one NCC and that is on my 101 and that looks like ingress due to leaving the stem pulled out.
    Awesome pics Hank. Thanks for the write up as well. Great info.

10. Likes Henry Krinkle, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Awesome pics Hank. Thanks for the write up as well. Great info.
    You are most welcome Greg. It was my pleasure.

12. Likes Greg, iyonk liked this post
    Starting the week with a seiko 5.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmaster View Post
    That thing is just SO cool...

16. Likes Jazzmaster, CFR, iyonk, popoki nui liked this post