Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first Rolex :)

Bought my first Rolex :)

Hello all,

I got so much value from reading posts from this forum I thought it might be useful to others to read my thought process for my recent purchase.
    Nearly a year ago I started researching a watch purchase, I wanted one nice piece (I hear you all doubting it stops at one haha), to wear as my one watch. Casual with Jeans and T-Shirt and formal with suit and tie in the office. I considered many watches but the ones that I spent most of my time researching and considering were: Damask DK101, Damasko DK38 Black , Omega Globemaster Blue Dial, Omega AT 8500, Rolex Explorer 1, Tudor Black Bay and Tudor Pelagos. Not a bad watch amongst them in my novice opinion but some varied technologies and certainly some varied price points.

I love the in-house DK101, value for money it is possibly the best of the bunch, however, given I wanted the one watch, it may not hold my attention as long as some others and it would depreciate more than others. The Pelagos was a bit bulky for my small wrists and doesn't transition suit to shorts quiet as well. I thought I had decided on the Omega AT 8500 until I tried on the Globemaster. In person it is gorgeous and unique. The coin edge is very very different to any Rolex and by many reports Omega service etc is great and the Technology included is amazing.

The Rolex Explorer 1 2016 update hit my wrist. It is more expensive than most of the watches I have listed and it is certainly significantly more than the budget I originally considered. Once I tried it on I was fixated on it as it just felt right. It has the pedigree, the reliability, 5 year warranty, recently updated from what you may call the Mk1 version. It dresses up and down easily and it is a no nonsense watch that I'm sure will seem at home on my wrist for decades and a favourite irrelevant of whether I buy other watches or not.

I have been wearing this new watch and drooling over it for only a week now and I'm super content with the purchase.... I'll be less content when I look at my netbank account I'm sure but it's sure to be my pride and joy for a long time.

Obviously these views are just my opinion and as I say, every watch has its appeal and specific feature set, but for my needs, the Explorer 1 is spot on. Thanks to all the members as the articles and opinions of all were really valuable.

Now.... to search for nato strap reviews and opinions etc ... oh boy

Feel free to make nato strap, leather strap suggestions.

Name:  Explorer 1.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  56.9 KB

nice choice not overly keen on Rolex's but that one is understated to the point of coolness so as a one watch choice it does tick a lot of the boxes does it not

oh and

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Welcome to the forum! Nice watch. Is it your first? An absolute classic and indeed one of the few "beach to boardroom" pieces available - you seem to have researched the rest and chosen well. Personally I'd never take a watch like this off the bracelet - my only watch (shock horror) is the AT8500 and its not going back on a nato or strap any time soon. That said if you want one we have users iyonk and canadianstraps for custom leather, and aguetrading for Natos - I've owned examples from all 3 and they're great. Or hirsch for good quality stock leather.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by geoffbot View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Nice watch. Is it your first? An absolute classic and indeed one of the few "beach to boardroom" pieces available - you seem to have researched the rest and chosen well. Personally I'd never take a watch like this off the bracelet - my only watch (shock horror) is the AT8500 and its not going back on a nato or strap any time soon. That said if you want one we have users iyonk and canadianstraps for custom leather, and aguetrading for Natos - I've owned examples from all 3 and they're great. Or hirsch for good quality stock leather.
    yes the bracelet so works for it

we have another strap maker too but the name is escaping me at the minute one of the american members ?
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Thanks guys,

Yeah the bracelet does suit it best. I saw a couple of pics where people had black, blue, red NATO's on it and they looked good. The sort of thing you may switch to now and again for a month rather than being a permanent thing.

The guys with AT8500 and Globemasters etc..... I do envy your date. A date is a nice thing to have in real world use. As I say, too many nice watches, all with desirable features..... if only we could have them all!

6. Likes is that my watch, CFR liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbo13 View Post
    Thanks guys,

Yeah the bracelet does suit it best. I saw a couple of pics where people had black, blue, red NATO's on it and they looked good. The sort of thing you may switch to now and again for a month rather than being a permanent thing.

The guys with AT8500 and Globemasters etc..... I do envy your date. A date is a nice thing to have in real world use. As I say, too many nice watches, all with desirable features..... if only we could have them all!
    Yeah man - no such things as a perfect watch. I need a date - I actually check the date more than the time I'd say, but so often they're badly executed holes in the dial.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    yes the bracelet so works for it

we have another strap maker too but the name is escaping me at the minute one of the american members ?
    I believe the name was Chase ?!

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    I believe the name was Chase ?!
    that's it thank you C
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

First things first: to the Forum and

Under the circumstances you described and from the group you selected, your choice makes sense. I don't miss the date on any of my watches; actually, I prefer non-date dials, but I understand how useful it can be for the majority of people. My guess is you're going to get used to it and won't miss the date that much, in a couple of weeks.

The Exlorer I can be extremely versatile when it comes to the choice of straps. Some good manufacturers have already been mentioned and I only wish to add one more: the Italian brand Colareb (colareb.it).

Now, enjoy your new watch.

11. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    that's it thank you C
    Found a link: HELMUT UHREN ATELIER

13. Likes is that my watch liked this post