Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coming to "good" watches through Omega.

Coming to "good" watches through Omega.

Who came to this nutty hobby through Omega? Was it your first and, if so, do you still have that watch?

I bought this guy in 1998. It did everything with me for six years or so until it finally had to make some occasional space on my arm. I still love it, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nope - I started with a TAG! It's usually one or the other I think. Probably not Omega for newbies these days - prices are creeping up.

Two watches sparked my love for watches since very early, one was the Bond SMP (my father was a Bond fan and he passed it on to me) and a Rolex GMT Pepsi owned by one of my great uncles.

In high school and college I had a lot of casios, freestyle, diesel and fossil watches. Always a small collection but never aspired to anything else at that point (I preferred to use the little money I had to pursue other interests ). Later I started to get into Citizen watches, found out about watch forums... and I went down the rabbit hole. After a modest collection of Citizen's, Seiko's and boutique/micro dive watches, I realized that I could obtain a preloved Bond SMP for around $1,600. So, I sold a couple of watches and got this:

Same watch that Pierce Brosnan wore in his Bond movies (except GoldenEye in which he wore the quartz model). After my father saw it, he went to his safe and got me this:

He bought when he got his first job, but then lost interest in watches. I had it repaired, but unfortunately it's not running as it should. Still trying to find a watchmaker in the US who can help me with it.

A couple of month after getting the SMP, I tried a friend's 42mm PO and I was hooked. I liked the size and the color better than the SMP and found that it was a more versatile watch (in my opinion of course) so....

This appeared in my watch box. I have since sold the SMP, but may get another one down the road. Right now, I'm planning to add a Speedy Pro to the collection, sometime next year.

Cheers!

Great stuff and nice photos.

Omega was the first brand I purchased after getting hooked on the forums. Had a Raymond Weil automatic that I bought on looks alone (gasp I know!) but when I really started to read up about them I gravitated towards Omega.

Got an Aqua Terra 8500 and then later a Planet Ocean 8500 (orange/orange) with matching white/white for the now wife.

Have expanded the stable from these but there will always be a place for Omega with me!

6. Likes geoffbot liked this post
    Nice AT. And welcome!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

I came to this nutty hobby through Omega. I saw a watch that caught my eye, not sure if it was as ad, or a movie, can't remember. But it was that watch, a Speedmaster, that initially brought me to WUS through a google search. I never ended up getting Speedmaster (not yet). I went for a more affordable Hamilton, which I gave to my brother last year, and my preference changed to the Planet Ocean, which is my daily watch, and really my only watch other than a G shock I use for biking.

I would have a hard time choosing between the Speedmaster or the AT for my next watch. Eventually would like to have both, but right now I am super content with just the PO. If I never had another watch I could be quite fine with it.

Well it took me a long time to get to the point where I could spend this kind of money on myself but my fascination with Omega started out very early. Although he never owned one my Dad always used to say to me that if I was ever able to afford a good watch I should buy an Omega, the last word in watches. So buying my first was quite an experience for me and I only wished he'd still been around to share it.
    I only ever intended to buy the one watch but as I was buying my SMP I saw, for the first time, the PO that I was instantly smitten with and went back to buy a year or so later. Now I have the AT to go with the divers and who knows what number 4 will be, there are a few I'd like to add but there's no hurry eh?
    Chris
    Ω Seamaster3

10. Likes Fire99 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy250 View Post
    Well it took me a long time to get to the point where I could spend this kind of money on myself but my fascination with Omega started out very early. Although he never owned one my Dad always used to say to me that if I was ever able to afford a good watch I should buy an Omega, the last word in watches. So buying my first was quite an experience for me and I only wished he'd still been around to share it.
    I only ever intended to buy the one watch but as I was buying my SMP I saw, for the first time, the PO that I was instantly smitten with and went back to buy a year or so later. Now I have the AT to go with the divers and who knows what number 4 will be, there are a few I'd like to add but there's no hurry eh?
    You know the rules Chris- Pictures, pictures, pictures
    Dave
    Ω Seamaster2

Omega Seamaster PO 45.5mm 2200.50-Cal 2500D
    Omega Seamaster SMP 2220.80-Cal 2500D

12. Likes muddy250 liked this post
    Always wanted the Omega Seamster with the wave dials, and after working on my wife for thirteen years she finally caved. When I went to purchase the watch I was immediately taken with the PO and had to have it. That wave dial kept haunting me for a year until I had to have it. Now I have both and would never part with either- love both equally.

Name:  IMG_0115.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  59.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0167.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  95.4 KB
    Dave
    Ω Seamaster2

Omega Seamaster PO 45.5mm 2200.50-Cal 2500D
    Omega Seamaster SMP 2220.80-Cal 2500D

14. Likes muddy250 liked this post