Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome to "Made in China"

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    saw this what's the thought on it and what sort of price is the right sort of price
    Tianjin is a local branding by SeaGull. It's comparable with the SeaGull versions, and powered by an ST5.
    The red text means 'Serve the people' and is printed in Mao's handwriting. This is probably not an original dial, but was replaced, or the text added, recently when VCM's became much more collectible. Pricewise you have to think $50 in good condition: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Stock-Br...-/261518403650

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolitano View Post
    Subscribing even though I am not a huge fan of Chinese watches yet.
    But, since Martin takes the most sexy pics, and most of my Parnis work OK, I look forward to better watches coming out from that country in the future. They have to - they can't make crap forever. It's impossible. All in good time. Maybe it's already begun?

PS: The only thing I will NOT touch is their mechanical chronos. Two watches - both died within weeks.
    But their copies of 7750 and all ETA 3-handers seem fine.
    What mech chrono did you have, SeaGull ST19's? I have three of them, two have served me well for >>5 years.

4. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Tianjin is a local branding by SeaGull. It's comparable with the SeaGull versions, and powered by an ST5.
    The red text means 'Serve the people' and is printed in Mao's handwriting. This is probably not an original dial, but was replaced, or the text added, recently when VCM's became much more collectible. Pricewise you have to think $50 in good condition: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Stock-Br...-/261518403650
    just check it . it went for £25 plus £11.25 post so about right then
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

What mech chrono did you have, SeaGull ST19's? I have three of them, two have served me well for >>5 years.
    Ya, that's the one.
    It sucks to be me.

Hi Guys

Call me stupid… not sure what this post will become….

But I am a very strong supporter of the Chinese watch industry. I have a large collection of Chinese watches and I LOVE them.

I have even sent some of my Seagull’s (ST-5) to Hong Kong for serving….

As I have said for many years, I think “credit where credit is due”. They make from the best to the worst and in between.

I am looking forward to learning and sharing….

As for the ST-19 series. I am a huge fan. From my understanding Seagull purchased the rights and the machinery to make the Venus 175. Over the years they have improved the design and in my opinion the quality is at European levels if not better. I have a number of these. I even have the ST-1940 (I think that is what it is called) the automatic.

Dan
    Dan
    OWC
    Orange NSW

I completely agree with you Dan, this is also why I pleaded for this Sub-forum The story about the Venus 175 machinery is the same I know. The obsolete machinery were sold off by Venus, and purchased by the Chinese for Project 304 in 1961, the airforce watch, which is now knows many incarnations as '1963 reissues'.

The main problem with faulty Chinese movements, especially if they are from the larger vendors, is the way they are cased. Is it done by SeaGull, it's usually perfect. If it's a rejected movement, hammered in a case in a shed in Shenzen, it's a lottery.
    Personally I do not understand that the larger vendors allow this, as the credibility of their movements go down the drain

Hopefully in time instead of making bucketloads, picking out the best and flogging the rest off cheap, they'll come to build the QC into the manufacturing process.

But I've read nothing to suggest that Seagull, in its largest form, has got a very clear plan. They don't seem to have problems selling their own watches, and they don't have any problem selling low grade movements, so the incentive to sort themselves out isn't pressing, is it?

I completely agree with you Dan, this is also why I pleaded for this Sub-forum The story about the Venus 175 machinery is the same I know. The obsolete machinery were sold off by Venus, and purchased by the Chinese for Project 304 in 1961, the airforce watch, which is now knows many incarnations as '1963 reissues'.

The main problem with faulty Chinese movements, especially if they are from the larger vendors, is the way they are cased. Is it done by SeaGull, it's usually perfect. If it's a rejected movement, hammered in a case in a shed in Shenzen, it's a lottery.
    Personally I do not understand that the larger vendors allow this, as the credibility of their movements go down the drain
    Having seen upclose how the Chinese do things (not talking about multinationals), they usually care only about making that extra $ as quickly, and as as easily as possible. (Who doesn't, yeah I know.)

What I mean by that is, small businesses don't place a lot of emphasis on "international" reputation.
    If they can sell enough locally, they don't care to expand beyond their pond.
    And there are a lot of reasons why they would not want the extra hassle of dealing with people who abroad do not speak Chinese.

I have two Seagulls, as well as one Thomas watch (HKed 1963 re-issue), and am awaiting another Thomas watch (current project watch from that other forum). So far so good.

I assume that Thomas' reputation is excellent?
    Last edited by scott59; Apr 24, 2015 at 04:44 PM.

Welcome to "Made in China"

Quote Originally Posted by scott59 View Post
    I have two Seagulls, as well as one Thomas watch (HKed 1963 re-issue), and am awaiting another Thomas watch (current project watch from that other forum). So far so good.

I assume that Thomas' reputation is excellent?
    He has a great reputation. And if something does go wrong he will take care of it

13. Likes scott59 liked this post