Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **** Hands - how do you like yours ****

**** Hands - how do you like yours ****

Well it was a late late night and I could not sleep (very like tonight) so went about sorting my spare box of pan a like parts, last year I was going to build one from scratch (that came about by seeing a dial I must have ) so bought all the parts needed when it arrived the dial would not fit the case even thou it should have ..

This lead on to a spate of buys, a skeleton dial parnis and a faulty parnis California dial pan .

So my box was full so to speak, A good while back I stripped them all down to parts and tried a few different things but that was to no avail ..

But in doing so I fixed the faulty one (can't remember what it was but something simple ) so re-built that and sold it.

So that left me a pvd luminor case and skeleton movement in the etched dark metal and hands and a ss radiomir case and etched skeleton movement ..(no hands)

So as I was saying it was late late nite could not sleep so rebuilt the pvd case luminor with the dark etches movement and with the sub nine hands ...

If you have manged to keep up that leaves a ss case and ss skeleton etched movement (oh and a dial I can't use unless I go pilot case ..but that is for another day )

... Hands - How do you like yours ...

If I am just going to put it together as another skeleton dial / see through movement pan a like then this time the hands are important so the choices for now are these, but might add to them or take away from them :

vintage..

pilot hands..

modern pan hands...

funky...

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes Greg, BlackNomad liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Great job on the rebuilds! I have had a long fondness for Breguet style hands, but they have to be on the right style watch - maybe a white ceramic dial with clean Roman numerals for example. I am also a sucker for excellent lume, and I guess Pilot style hands would be my favorites there. A bit more interest than the straight modern lumed pan-hand style. I am sure you will come up with a great combination.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

yeah seems a lot of choice on the hands for 6497 and 6498 movement dials not so much bought a case as I said a skeleton / see through movement and a lovely blue dial but the dial seems to big for any pan type case will only seem to fit the bigger pilot cases but then to me looks wrong as it's to be a pan dial in a pilot case

will dig up pic's of the dial I can't use and the case and dial I got suppose I can sell a cheap Russian to cover the cost on the dial ...

but thinking about what you said I have got an idea I have had for some time of getting a p.w Russian for the dial and movement and do that sort of Gothic look tried once before but the case at the time did just not fit even got a couple of cut down p.w dials I could spot to a solid 6498 movement

the one in the pic is a cut down dial with a 3609 movement but the case was just slightly to thin and another one that worked for awhile but the movement was shot
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

5. Likes skywatch, Greg liked this post
    this was the dial that took my fancy but does not fit a pan case ..well not the one's I got

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

There are few hands I don't like and my only criteria is that the hands must match the style of the watch. After that, anything goes, with one exception: Mercedes hands. I would not put a Mercedes hand on any design because they are too firmly connected to Rolex in my mind. I know others have used them (I once owned an Omega Seamaster that had a Mercedes hand original to the model), but I wouldn't be able to get over that one.

Blued hands are my weakness. I do love a nicely blued set of hands.

yes the ones off the 3609 did not fit which was a shame as they was a lovely vintage blue
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

this is the movement I got

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

10. Likes FuzzyB, watchdaddy1, Greg, synequano liked this post
    If you're going with a skeleton dial, you may want to use hands that are big and bold. That rules out Breguet-style and anything dainty. Lumed dauphine might work.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    If you're going with a skeleton dial, you may want to use hands that are big and bold. That rules out Breguet-style and anything dainty. Lumed dauphine might work.

-hayday
    still 50/50 on dial as it is a nice movement but not really a skeleton watch kinda guy think the other pan I built will get sold at some point.

so might go dial if I can get one the right size or might sell a watch and use the money to get a different case so I can use the blue dial the sexy movement and maybe go a gold case did see one that would fit the dial not a pan case really but quite charming just got to double check measurements ..

this might be it should take both dial and movement or might go similar there was another one am looking at

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

then maybe go one of these for the hands

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

14. Likes hayday liked this post