Likes Likes:  66
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: More VCMs

Always amazed by the knowledge! Thanks for taking the time to share. Hadn't seen either of these before.

2. Likes saskwatch liked this post
    I couldnít resist this 1120. The brand name is in my favourite Shanghai script, and itís in very good condition.

Sometime before Shanghai Watch Factory ended production of its 10/11 series in the early 1970s, a new logo was adopted and a different style of hands were used. As far as I can see, all of this watchís parts are appropriate for a late 1120, including the high batch number on the caseback...

...and the newer logo on the thin crown.

The 18,000 bph SS1ís date code is FA (January 1971). In the past Iíve said I believe 1970 was the last year 1120s were produced. Evidently I was incorrect.

The seller also had an 1110, with the new logo and hands, in very good condition.

The 1110 is pretty much the same as the 1120, except itís in a bulkier chrome-plated base metal case. This oneís white dial is quite unusual, as 10/11 series watches usually had silver-coloured dials. It has an even higher batch number than the 1120 above.

New logo on the crown

The 18,000 bph SS1ís date code is FJ (October 1971).

Because the edges of the crown and ratchet wheels arenít bevelled, itís a movement Iíd expect to find in an 1123. The batch number, 506, is the same batch number found on the back of my 1123 (its movement was made in November 1971, the next month). Afaik there never was an equivalent of the 1123 in a chrome-plated case (I suppose it would have been the 1113). What does all this mean? It appears possible that 1110s continued to be manufactured after 1120 production ended.
    My collection of Vintage Chinese Mechanicals can be seen at myvcms.com

4. Likes Strela167, meijlinder, DJW GB, Martin liked this post
    Iím a big fan of VCM mysteries, and this Shanglin provides several.

Mystery 1: What factory produced Shanglin brand watches? Iíve speculated that it could be one of the factories in Shanghai that cased watches with imported movements before China had a homegrown watch industry. This mystery factory appears to have continued to assemble watches into at least the 1970s using a variety of Swiss, Russian, and Chinese movements. Iíve had one with a Shanghai Watch Factory tongji for a few years.

This oneís case, back, and crown donít look like they belong with a tongji, however.

Mystery 2: the movement

Iíve never seen anything like this two-tone slow-beat SS1. Its date code is FK (November 1971). Other than its colour, it looks similar to movements found inside contemporary Shanghai 1123s.

The mere fact that the movementís an SS1 makes the dial unusual. Most SS1 watches had either silver or white dials, and colour dials are very rare. But something else about the dial is puzzling.

Mystery 3: Chinaís first export watch was the Sea-Gull ST5 in 1973. If this Shanglin is an earlier product, why the English text?
    My collection of Vintage Chinese Mechanicals can be seen at myvcms.com

6. Likes Strela167, meijlinder, Martin, DJW GB liked this post