Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SMITHS EVEREST- PRS-25

SMITHS EVEREST- PRS-25

Well love me the old smiths and as you might of read I was looking at the prs 29a but chose to hold off buying it for now as my want was a W10 from 1967, at the same time I always check this one out it is very very loose based on the original .. but in this instance I don't really mind that have heard some are not happy with the look due to how modern and some say Rolex ish .. but kinda like the fact that two watches went up the mountain and so to speak one came down

Just on looks alone and price it is a good looking thing that is not cheap but won't break the bank they are a uk company and if booked on the right day almost next day service ..

I thought for those looking for some thing fairly modern but with a touch of history about it and I love the great Britain under the six so would tempted you all with this thread

As always ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    SMITHS EVEREST- PRS-25
    Almost everyone is familiar with the name of one of the watches which was worn by Hillary and Tensing when they reached the summit of Everest in 1953 but fewer people realise that the other watch was a Smiths, as shown in the 1953 advert below.
    Of course, the Smiths of 2011 looks nothing like the Smiths of 1953 but it is a reminder that a British watch accompanied Sir Edmund Hillary on that historic climb.The PRS-25 is the first Time Factors watch to use the new Miyota 9015 automatic movement. Miyota is a division of Citizen, the largest manufacturer of movements in the world and the 9015 has been compared most favourably with the ETA2892-2.Like all Time Factors watches, the case has been designed and manufactured from scratch; stock cases are not used.
    The hi-dome acrylic crystal is perfectly shaped and 2.5mm thick; the solid stainless steel bracelet tapers from 22mm to 20mm at the clasp and has half links to ensure adjustment for a perfect fit.
    MODEL Smiths Everest PRS-25
    CASE
    Material
    316L stainless steel, brushed top with polished sides
    Diameter
    40mm, 44mm including crown
    Lug to lug height
    49.8mm
    Thickness
    14.5mm to the top of the hi-dome crystal
    Lug spacing
    22mm
    Anti-magnetic
    4,800 A/m
    Water resistance
    10ATM/100 metres/330 feet
    Weight
    165 grammes including bracelet
    Features
    Screw back, screw down crown, drilled lugs
    DIAL
    Colour
    Black with white printed minute track
    Luminous
    Triangle, numbers and indices SuperLuminova C3
    HANDS
    Style
    Mercedes hands, polished steel
    Luminous
    SuperLuminova C3
    CRYSTAL
    Type
    Hi-dome acrylic , 34.6mm diameter x 2.5mm thick
    MOVEMENT
    Calibre
    Miyota 9015, 24 jewel automatic, 28,800 BPH
    BRACELET
    Solid link stainless steel with screwed links and solid end links and signed clasp
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

4. Likes DJW GB liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    but kinda like the fact that two watches went up the mountain and so to speak one came down

Very good.

The styling is curious, because it's most like the Zeno Explorer, but huger. Timefactors used to sell Zeno watches and the Explorer sold better than anything. Then, allegedly, Rolex leant on Zeno and forced them to drop it.

I think the Everest was the first of the new Smiths, and I'm sure it amused Eddie to combine 'Smiths' with 'Everest'. It appealed to me. The 'hidden' black on black Everest label was a nice touch.

I bought one -

Name:  IMG_4396.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  90.8 KB

There's a couple of drawbacks. It has pronounced and slightly awkward shoulders on the bracelet. The lug to lug length will be too great for some. It's a bit bulbous.

I enjoyed it for quite a while and can't now remember what prompted me to sell it. Bulbousness, probably.

Not a bad watch, though, and I still have some fondness for it.

6. Likes iyonk, is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Very good.

The styling is curious, because it's most like the Zeno Explorer, but huger. Timefactors used to sell Zeno watches and the Explorer sold better than anything. Then, allegedly, Rolex leant on Zeno and forced them to drop it.

I think the Everest was the first of the new Smiths, and I'm sure it amused Eddie to combine 'Smiths' with 'Everest'. It appealed to me. The 'hidden' black on black Everest label was a nice touch.

I bought one -

Name:  IMG_4396.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  90.8 KB

There's a couple of drawbacks. It has pronounced and slightly awkward shoulders on the bracelet. The lug to lug length will be too great for some. It's a bit bulbous.

I enjoyed it for quite a while and can't now remember what prompted me to sell it. Bulbousness, probably.

Not a bad watch, though, and I still have some fondness for it.
    yes think it's going to be watch this space
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

I had one briefly....
    Name:  25-08.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  47.7 KB
    .. we didn't get along.
    Some people have opinions - The rest of us have taste.

9. Likes is that my watch, DJW GB liked this post
    Had a chance to look at both on the bracelet and leather, prefer leather, yet the long lugs look better on the bracelet imo.
    Pity so long, for the head they could have made shorter. Lovely dial, great lume too.

Quote Originally Posted by Strela167 View Post
    Had a chance to look at both on the bracelet and leather, prefer leather, yet the long lugs look better on the bracelet imo.
    Pity so long, for the head they could have made shorter. Lovely dial, great lume too.
    yeah was saying to a friend been going backwards and forwards between this and the prs 29 but as decide I want a w10 or nothing. it means I looking at this again kinda like that in a way it kinda made up as it's not a re-issue as such so it is something of it's own so does that make sense ? it an homage of a event more that a true re-issue so no original specs so it is what it is and thats toolish killer lume very affordable for something with substances so yeah deffo could be my next if I can sell enough to cover it
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by crownpuller View Post
    I had one briefly....
    Name:  25-08.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  47.7 KB
    .. we didn't get along.
    yes was looking at that other one you had but quartz not sure on mean have spent as much on other quartz but style wise think you going to love it or hate it and not sure how I feel if I went for it be a costly mistake if we did not gel
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Well i still have mine

Name:  P1050728 (600x800).jpg
Views: 283
Size:  290.5 KB

Name:  P1050836 3 (800x600).jpg
Views: 296
Size:  357.3 KB

Name:  P1080551 2 (800x600).jpg
Views: 282
Size:  214.1 KB

Name:  S1240004 1 (800x600).jpg
Views: 270
Size:  310.2 KB

Name:  S1240005 2 (800x600).jpg
Views: 276
Size:  287.0 KB

The bracelet i found ok but heavy solid thing and great quality .

Quote Originally Posted by DJW GB View Post
    Well i still have mine

Name:  P1050728 (600x800).jpg
Views: 283
Size:  290.5 KB

Name:  P1050836 3 (800x600).jpg
Views: 296
Size:  357.3 KB

Name:  P1080551 2 (800x600).jpg
Views: 282
Size:  214.1 KB

Name:  S1240004 1 (800x600).jpg
Views: 270
Size:  310.2 KB

Name:  S1240005 2 (800x600).jpg
Views: 276
Size:  287.0 KB

The bracelet i found ok but heavy solid thing and great quality .
    fancy a trade
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy