Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone here have a Submariner 14060?

Anyone here have a Submariner 14060?

If I were to get a no-date Sub, I would go for either the two-line model in your OP or a brand new one.

The older four-liner just isn't compelling enough.

The two-liner is such an outlier compared to every other Rolex out there with the super-duper certified chronometer label.

Think of it this way, after the first few years and certainly after the first servicing, that extra two lines of text on the dial is meaningless.

Someday Hodinkee will write an article praising the simplicity and charm of the two-liner and prices will skyrocket. Might as well get one now while prices are still somewhat reasonable.

(The above is pretty much the debate that has taken place in my mind on more than one occasion. There is something about the simplicity of the two-liner that I find refreshing.)
    Last edited by FuzzyB; Mar 27, 2017 at 06:23 PM.

2. Likes Henry Krinkle, GaryF liked this post
    Other than aesthetic and/or subjective based arguments - perfectly acceptable, btw - every single objective parameter makes the 114060 the better watch. If the drilled lugs are a determinant factor - and all 14060 had those - I would try to find a model from around 2011-2012, the last production batch.
    Last edited by CFR; Mar 27, 2017 at 05:03 PM.

Don't say fat. They're just big boned.

Quote Originally Posted by ck1109 View Post
    The thicker case and the maxi dial makes the new Sub look too fat imo.

5. Likes FuzzyB, tribe125, geoffbot liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Raza View Post
    Your picture looks better than the one on Govberg, that I posted. Any more? Specifically with the bracelet and/or a NATO?
    No pics on a nato. For every old rolex I've owned: 14060, 114270, 16570 the bracelet is very unbalanced after you remove ~5 links, so I've never really bothered to wear them on a bracelet.

Mine was also very unpolished/lightly polished, so it had the original bevels and the dial/bezel were in great condition, which would be why it looks better than govberg.
    Here's some more pics for you:

Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Other than aesthetic and/or subjective based arguments - perfectly acceptable, btw - every single objective parameter makes the 114060 the better watch. If the drilled lugs are a determinant factor - and all 14060 had those - I would try to find a model from around 2011-2012, the last production batch.
    If I remember correctly, mine was one of the last 14060s, so it had the upgraded movement. Raza, Davidsw gets them from time to time, so he will be a good resource to check.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerDore View Post
    Don't say fat. They're just big boned.

7. Likes Raza, geoffbot, TigerDore liked this post
    Good advice above, and it reminds me that buying a used Submariner can be hazardous if you don't know your stuff, and haven't seen enough examples to be able to identify a good one.

Davidsw is a safe bet from what I've read, but in many cases some expert advice wouldn't go amiss. I had some faith in the dealer who sold me my Submariner, but you're still inclined to think, "Is this a good one, could I have done better for the money?"

And every time you see another one posted, you can't help but check it against your own. And then there's the service question, if there's no evidence of a recent service.

It's so easy to hand over your money and only ask yourself the relevant questions later.

9. Likes Raza liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post

And every time you see another one posted, you can't help but check it against your own. And then there's the service question, if there's no evidence of a recent service.
    As a thumb rule, it's always a good idea to take into consideration the cost of a complete service.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Good advice above, and it reminds me that buying a used Submariner can be hazardous if you don't know your stuff, and haven't seen enough examples to be able to identify a good one.

Davidsw is a safe bet from what I've read, but in many cases some expert advice wouldn't go amiss. I had some faith in the dealer who sold me my Submariner, but you're still inclined to think, "Is this a good one, could I have done better for the money?"

It's so easy to hand over your money and only ask yourself the relevant questions later.
    Yeah, I don't think I could ever buy a used Rolex from anyone but a brick and mortar dealer (that's a Rolex AD) or from someone here.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking