Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Speedmaster CK2998

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    As a side note the crown brand has been tempting me a lot lately. I know I have one, maybe two more in my next two years. I never thought of myself as an Omega Guy, but since they dominates my collection I guess I am?
    At seven pieces, Omega still dominates my collection, too. But the last non-speedy I bought was the POLMLE, so that's quite a few years back, I've since added four Rolexes and am probably going to add the new SD50 if the proportions are okay when I try it.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryF View Post
    At seven pieces, Omega still dominates my collection, too. But the last non-speedy I bought was the POLMLE, so that's quite a few years back, I've since added four Rolexes and am probably going to add the new SD50 if the proportions are okay when I try it.
    I have the Speedy 57 from the Serb coming from Omega. I still need a 45th Apollo 11 to start my order. That was the one I missed out on ( I was forth on the list and they only received three),and have not found one.

For Rolex I'm first on the SD 43 list and still debating if I should get the Rhodium dial YM next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Speedmaster CK2998

It just occurred to me why the PO are so thick. I was thinking at a brand level. I needed to be thinking at a Swatch Group level. You have to move to their next class up and the highest level Diver on the Swatch Group which is the BP Fifty Fathoms. The bathyscape is less than 13 mm and even the large 45mm versions are 15. If Breguet made divers they would be 10-11 mm thick.

Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

It just occurred to me why the PO are so thick. I was thinking at a brand level. I needed to be thinking at a Swatch Group level. You have to move to their next class up and the highest level Diver on the Swatch Group which is the BP Fifty Fathoms. The bathyscape is less than 13 mm and even the large 45mm versions are 15. If Breguet made divers they would be 10-11 mm thick.

Maybe. I don't know if, given the difference in market scale, it's worth compromising an Omega to fit into a marketing structure with Blancpain and Breguet, though. I think Omega is the sales Behemoth and the natural starting point of a multi-brand strategy.

If the thickness is a deliberate aesthetic move,as some have suggested, I would suspect that it was made more with other Omega models (SMP) or perceived competitors (Submariner) in mind. Thicker seeming to equate with tougher in some peoples' minds.
    But I'm not at all sure that the reason for the thickness isn't just that it the best Omega can do, all manufacturing costs, WR etc considered. If you look at the 9300 Speedmasters, it seems like the designers have gone all out to try and disguise the thickness. It's doesn't feel like a feature they are particularly proud of.
    Last edited by GaryF; May 4, 2017 at 07:09 AM.

No, the strap is the same.

I love the colour scheme on the Ti PO. I just wish they'd waited until they could do orange ceramic. What's the point in making a bezel out of a super-resistant ceramic/lm combo and then gluing rubber to it????
    Great review. Did you change the strap? It looks much darker and less texture.

Here is mine (Can't find a wrist shot)

OBTW I actually really like the new Titanium PO. Even if is does have the skin of a dead orange rubber dinghy draped over a section of bezel. It looks great even with those hideous arrow hands. Your welcome to beat up Omega as much as you want on those.