Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with Late Uncle's Vintage Omega Seamaster

I forgot to say
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

2. Likes Statick liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    The reference #2828 belongs to Omega Seamaster International Collection presented in 1954. I believe it used the cal. 470 and, after 1955, the cal. 471. Your comment regarding the crosshair on the dial is pertinent and it may be a replacement from another series or a redial, but I'm not sure. However, the crown is obviously wrong.
    The production's date - as Geoff and William pointed out - should be between 1956 and 1958.
    Thanks for the help!

4. Likes CFR, Statick liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Statick View Post

Thanks for the insight. I suppose a production year of 1957 with the cal. 471 movement is a solid consensus. I'm hoping it's not a redial; the watchmaker that I took it to is quite confident that it's unmodified, and this following link does show a reference 2828 with a crosshair, though the dial is not an exact match...
    http://www.vintage-watches-collectio...utomatic-1956/

We'll see if the manufacturer itself can provide any further insight. And please do share any other information/feedback/comments you have, and the same to everyone else.
    The link you mention is not the most reliable source. However, I checked the info with someone much more knowledgeable than me and the good news are: yes, a few Seamasters - late 50s - had the crosshair dial. I was used to this dial on Constellations and on a few (early 60s) Genèves but I wasn't sure on the Seamasters. I learned something new, today.

Oh and I forgot to mention: congratulations on the Seamaster. Beautiful watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan R View Post
    Thanks for the help!
    My pleasure.

6. Likes Statick liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    The link you mention is not the most reliable source. However, I checked the info with someone much more knowledgeable than me and the good news are: yes, a few Seamasters - late 50s - had the crosshair dial. I was used to this dial on Constellations and on a few (early 60s) Genèves but I wasn't sure on the Seamasters. I learned something new, today.

Oh and I forgot to mention: congratulations on the Seamaster. Beautiful watch.

Great news!

And alas, the folks at Omega weren't really too helpful. They offered to attempt to provide an extract from their archives for $155 CAD plus shipping and tax, but not much else.

I'll keep you all apprised as to when it goes in for restoration.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Statick View Post
    Great news!

And alas, the folks at Omega weren't really too helpful. They offered to attempt to provide an extract from their archives for $155 CAD plus shipping and tax, but not much else.

I'll keep you all apprised as to when it goes in for restoration.
    Sadly, that is the norm. There was a time that companies like them and Zenith would do it for free, but that has changed many years ago. At least you did not get suckered in. Back in the mid 2000s, I sent a serial number of a pocket watch owned by my grandfather to a respected watch manufacturer (name left out on purpose). They ignored my request. Some time later, perhaps a year, they sent me a letter stating the caliber of the watch and when it was made. Nothing more in terms of information. They then sent me a bill! I did not pay since they did not warn me in advance.

At the same time, I sent Omega an email about my uncle's watch, which was in a aftermarket 18K case. They told me when it was made and when it was sold and in what country, and proceeded to tell me sternly that it never came in a gold watch case. LoL!

That was over 20 years ago.

Thanks for sharing,

Dan