Likes Likes:  166
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back in the saddle

Back in the saddle

I gave up so many of my precious watches to purchase a VC Overseas chronograph, and that didn't materialize as I watched the funds go elsewhere, so, it's time to get back to it!

Going to check this pre loved watch out next Saturday, and if it fits like a glove, it will be mine! Three hander since I don't use chronograph complications at all, and, that may be reserved for a future purchase of a Speedy Pro. Hopefully, Cybotron will join me for the ride.

Name:  VCOverseas001.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  61.2 KB

If it does not work out on the wrist, I plan to purchase one of the following two (Latest version of the 214270, not the one pictured);

Name:  Rolex-Explorer-I-Reference-214270.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  53.8 KBName:  Rolex-Oyster-Perpetual-blue.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  89.0 KB

Thoughts on the OP vs the Explorer would be appreciated, and would especially like to hear from those that have had the OP long term and may have considered it along side the Explorer. I've been smitten by the Explorer for a while and know I like it, and tried on the OP last month and it's stunning too. Both good all arounders.

Thanks, IWLer's!

Walter
    Last edited by wschofield3; Jun 10, 2017 at 03:39 PM.

whatever you choose, it will be a great watch! Enjoy the hunt!

3. Likes wschofield3, geoffbot liked this post
    If the previous generation bracelet is like the current one, it will be incredibly comfortable. Between the other two, I like th simplicity of the Explorer. I'd love the new OP if not for the green dots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes wschofield3, TigerDore, GaryF, geoffbot liked this post
    The brightly colored dots on the OP series are a deal breaker for me as well. I was hoping they would be more subdued in person, but no such luck. It could be a classic watch if the dots were more subdued, or absent.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    If the previous generation bracelet is like the current one, it will be incredibly comfortable. Between the other two, I like th simplicity of the Explorer. I'd love the new OP if not for the green dots.

7. Likes wschofield3, GaryF liked this post
    The VC is a handsome piece, Walter. I hope it works out.

Between the other two, I think the Explorer will have a lasting appeal.

9. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerDore View Post
    The brightly colored dots on the OP series are a deal breaker for me as well. I was hoping they would be more subdued in person, but no such luck. It could be a classic watch if the dots were more subdued, or absent.
    Those dots saved me thousands of dollars--if they weren't there on the purple dial version I would have bought one. Instead, I bought a purple dialed Christopher Ward to scratch that itch.

It saved me money as well. I keep trying to acquire a Rolex, but I may give up. The OP was another model that was close "if not for... " It seems that I keep trying to shoehorn one into my collection. I know they are great watches, but maybe just not in the cards for me.

That's a handsome, sporty piece. And perfect with that shirt!

Those dots saved me thousands of dollars--if they weren't there on the purple dial version I would have bought one. Instead, I bought a purple dialed Christopher Ward to scratch that itch.

Last edited by TigerDore; Jun 10, 2017 at 05:45 PM.

12. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    If the previous generation bracelet is like the current one, it will be incredibly comfortable. Between the other two, I like th simplicity of the Explorer. I'd love the new OP if not for the green dots. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My understanding is it's the exact same bracelet and thanks for confirming the comfort factor. Yep, the green dots are not my favorite aspect, however, the rhodium dial with the blue is hard to read in some lighting conditions and that was my first choice of the OP config.

I'm with you there, but it still ticks a lot of boxes for me.

The VC is a handsome piece, Walter. I hope it works out.

Between the other two, I think the Explorer will have a lasting appeal.
    Thank you! I like the Explorer a great deal, however, my reasoning for checking out the OP is simply as another choice in the all around watch category.

It saved me money as well. I keep trying to acquire a Rolex, but I may give up. The OP was another model that was close "if not for... " It seems that I keep trying to shoehorn one into my collection. I know they are great watches, but maybe just not in the cards for me.

That's a handsome, sporty piece. And perfect with that shirt!
    I know what you mean; I love my Hulk but it's not a versatile watch. The old OP at 36mm wears too small for me. I'd love a new Daytona, but by the time price and availability normalize, I'll probably be 80.

I waited two years for them to clear out the purple Christopher Ward model (it was a limited edition), finally they did and it only cost $225 (half off).

15. Likes wschofield3, TigerDore liked this post
    One thing I enjoy a lot about this hobby, and coming to this forum, is the art of watch design and the broad tastes of our members. Those bright color points are obviously winners or Rolex probably would have dumped them by now.

Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post

I'm with you there, but it still ticks a lot of boxes for me.

17. Likes wschofield3 liked this post