Likes Likes:  907
Page 1 of 149 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Lange vs. Patek vs. VC

Lange vs. Patek vs. VC

For my next watch to be purchased in 2019 (I like to plan ahead) I am looking for another dress watch. The current contenders are:

1. ALS 1815 Up/Down

Pros:
    Simply a great watch.
    Different from my current collection.

Cons:
    Already have a Saxonia. Do I want two watches from the same brand?

2. Yellow gold Calatrava
    I have yet to try it on so no photos yet.

Pros:
    I like Roman numerals and the 36mm size.
    Arguably the iconic dress watch.
    Resale value.

Cons:
    Less versatile (I wear my Saxonia with jeans and t-shirts). Unsure whether I can wear it with jeans.
    My daughter will likely try to murder me to take possession of the watch.

3. VC Traditionnelle

Pros:
    Ever since discovering VC I have wanted one of their watches.
    Simply a great watch

Cons:
    Similar to the Saxonia.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    If you have the Saxonia, I'd go for the Calatrava. Lucky you. Two of my top choices if I had the money and my wife would let me.

4. Likes TJMike5150 liked this post
    I should add the Saxonia is the 35mm small seconds model. So similar to the Traditionnelle.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    If you have the Saxonia, I'd go for the Calatrava. Lucky you. Two of my top choices if I had the money and my wife would let me.
    Watches are my only vice that costs any significant money. As such, my wife allows my indulgences. Of course any time I mention a new watch I have to tread lightly

7. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    The 1815 Up/Down beats just about everything for me at the moment, but I like it best in rose gold.

Name:  2940_1409810390.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  120.2 KB

I might think of losing the Saxonia, but that would be a very personal decision.

I would trade the Saxonia for the Up Down and get the VC. That way you have one from each brand, and in my opinion, the better of the two pure dress watches.

I don't have the kind of money to be flipping any of my watches. If I buy a watch it is for life.

I prefer the rose gold Up/Down everywhere except on my wrist; the white gold looks better.

Oh, and the photo you posted is the 1815, not Up/Down.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    I would trade the Saxonia for the Up Down and get the VC. That way you have one from each brand, and in my opinion, the better of the two pure dress watches.
    Money aside, I love the Saxonia. I mean I look at it and can't think of anyway it can be improved.

12. Likes gnuyork liked this post
    Oh and I would argue that the Saxonia is equal to the Traditionnelle. If I end up with both I would be a happy man.

I do have a slight problem with the 'falling' sub dials on the 1815/Up/Down and, blasphemy, I never liked the Calatrava in any of its current or previous iterations. The VC is another matter: I like it a lot. However, these watches are out of my league, therefore, my experience is limited and that makes my opinion, for all intents and purposes, rather irrelevant.

The VC - as a brand - I know relatively well, because my former watchmaker used to be locally responsible for their technical after sales service. Perhaps that's the reason I admire this brand.

15. Likes shameless liked this post