Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your take on a watch I recently sold on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    This is actually becoming a common problem on eBay. Their policies are so skewed toward the buyer that it is encouraging buyers to make claims that the item was not as described. eBay will almost always side with the buyers in those situations unless the original photos and description match the item sold.

The other danger is that eBay/PayPal allows such claims to be made long after the date of sale, so you are not really in the clear for some time.

As long as your photos and description are clear, you should be in good shape. It would actually work in your favor if he sends you additional photos because then he can no lie never claim that damage he caused later was present when you shipped it to him.

I almost always avoid selling on eBay these days because of those policies, but when I do, I try to include pictures from all possible angles to capture any possible defect to make sure the buyer knows exactly what he is getting. Even then, you are often at the mercy of unscrupulous buyers.
    yes some time will say spares / repairs even thou working so that they can't come back on it even thou in full working order. I put in a caveat that even thou full working if buying to be worn as the age of the watch is the say the 70's a fully service is required at some point

unless say it has been service in the last twelve months that is .. but even then I would say some thing to cover myself like no returns excepted all photo are used as part of description and the like
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes The Watch Smeller liked this post
    Ryan, I see quite a few dings and scratches in those photos, but like The Watch Smeller said, it isn't bad at all for 40 year-old watch. If I received the watch and managed to spot a few more scratches with the naked eye, I wouldn't think much of it. Photos can only do so much unless you are a professional photographer. It sounds like the guy is being a jerk to me.

4. Likes The Watch Smeller liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerDore View Post
    Ryan, I see quite a few dings and scratches in those photos, but like The Watch Smeller said, it isn't bad at all for 40 year-old watch. If I received the watch and managed to spot a few more scratches with the naked eye, I wouldn't think much of it. Photos can only do so much unless you are a professional photographer. It sounds like the guy is being a jerk to me.
    I in no way presented it as being a perfect case. He made it sound like I was trying to hide damage to the case which just wasn't accurate. I'm not going to worry about it. As I said, I accepted the first offer he made, the listing stated to ask all questions before making an offer, I was upfront about the condition. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Instagram: @ryanwearswatches

6. Likes TigerDore liked this post
    I can tell you weren't trying to hide anything and the pictures make it obvious that the watch has "character". I agree that you were upfront and you shouldn't worry about it. War Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanpatrick View Post
    I in no way presented it as being a perfect case. He made it sound like I was trying to hide damage to the case which just wasn't accurate. I'm not going to worry about it. As I said, I accepted the first offer he made, the listing stated to ask all questions before making an offer, I was upfront about the condition. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Likes Ryanpatrick liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyB View Post
    This is actually becoming a common problem on eBay. Their policies are so skewed toward the buyer that it is encouraging buyers to make claims that the item was not as described. eBay will almost always side with the buyers in those situations unless the original photos and description match the item sold.

The other danger is that eBay/PayPal allows such claims to be made long after the date of sale, so you are not really in the clear for some time.

As long as your photos and description are clear, you should be in good shape. It would actually work in your favor if he sends you additional photos because then he can no lie never claim that damage he caused later was present when you shipped it to him.

I almost always avoid selling on eBay these days because of those policies, but when I do, I try to include pictures from all possible angles to capture any possible defect to make sure the buyer knows exactly what he is getting. Even then, you are often at the mercy of unscrupulous buyers.
    Part of why I don't do ebay for watches and I no longer use Paypal for payments. What does Joe ebay know about vintage watches? How can they arbitrate a solution if there is a conflict? Same with Paypal. I've seen them hold up a person with no issues and can pay cash from their bank account? Why? Their fees have also got out of hand for both ebay and Paypal. I've been using square for all CC payments if I sell something unless they wish to direct deposit. t luckily we have not ever had to do that.

These days ebay is a backup if I can't find a good price on Amazon for something. That's it.

As far as the post I would have asked for a few new photos that were very clear. Others appear to be seeing more than me in these. To me some of these are indiscernible, but if he did not ask for new pictures I would not feel bad.
    Last edited by Samanator; Jun 23, 2017 at 10:28 PM.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Buyer protection is good, but it seems it's almost gone too far now with PayPal and eBay. I always feel a bit anxious selling using PayPal, having read the horror stories about buyers using their protection and almost automatically getting their money back, even after a considerable amount of time

At the same time it is good when buying on ebay...

Buyer makes a misjudgement. Not seller's problem.

Reputation intact, money in bank.

12. Likes Samanator, Ryanpatrick liked this post
    I see plenty of dings in the case so I'm not sure what the buyers issue is. If he was unsure he should have asked for more pics, but being a 30-40 year old watch I'd say the condition is very common.

14. Likes Ryanpatrick, TigerDore liked this post
    Blog Entries
    If you have his physical address I'd show up at his doorstep and ask which of his testicles he'd like to keep. But that's just me. I'm not very forgiving of opportunistic sociopaths who try to exploit others.
    Слава Україні! 🇺🇦

16. Likes Seriously liked this post
    You can always add a carefully worded response in the feedback section under his feedback comment (which I guess is where he's written this?)

I've seen sellers do that before when someone complains instead of contacting directly, but maybe best to let sleeping dogs lie.
    Watches for SALE:
    <PRICE REDUCED> Nivrel 322 Black Dial: http://www.intlwatchleague.com/showt...869#post447869