Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Is this a column wheel?

Is this a column wheel?

Having got great answers to previous questions, I can't help but feel egged on to ask a few more.

If this is irksome to anyone monitoring this somewhat sleepy forum, I apologize...

I finally opened this rather lovely but grubby Pierce chrono to have a peer at the movement.

Name:  FullSizeRender_columnwheel.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  68.7 KB

Is that a column wheel I'm looking at? Or something else entirely?

If it is, I would have expected to see it at around the 6 o'clock position... but this is my only up-down chrono and wondering if the movement is just oriented differently?

Name:  FullSizeRender_1.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  62.1 KB

3. Likes Dan R liked this post
    Great article. Thanks for sharing!

think could be wrong it all to do with position of subdials as on a 3017 it has it nearer the six as you say but on a 3017 up down sub dial pocket watch seems to be in the same place , but looks different some what from what I have seen looks almost possible upside down but can't be , if you see this 3017 you will see what I mean

3017 sub dial side by side

but think about it with the 3017 the movement is just flipped to fit so on thought it would still be in the same place on the movement but just looks liked it's moved
    Last edited by is that my watch; Jun 27, 2017 at 05:05 PM.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

6. Likes Dan R liked this post
    but looking into it the movement is a Pierce 134 in-house movement so they could build it how they like I suppose as most other are model on some of the more well know movements so that could be it it

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Fig. 3

Fig. 4

Fig. 5
    Pierce 134

Features
    manual-wind chronograph, 60s, 60min, pillar wheel
    sub second

Data
    13''', Dm= 28.85mm; Do= 29.35mm
    H= 7.0mm
    F= 0.85mm
    T= 2.2mm
    7/17 jewels
    f = 18000 A/h
    power reserve 30h

Balance staff U1621

Stem W2046

Mainspring / battery
    Zf1245, 1.50 x 10.5 x 0.12 x 320mm

Hands
    2.35 x 1.48 x 0.35 / 0.35 x 0.21mm

Comments about the data
    Remarks
    indirect minute
    unusual: ratchet on dial side, crown mechanism with rocker bar

Patented axial clutch for second counter (Fig.3-5):
    The minute wheel A is not in the center like in conventional movements. It drives the hands gears via canon pinion (Fig.2), and the third wheel B. This drives the sub second C and the detachable center second D.
    On the center-second arbor with heart disc E and minute-counter driver F the pinion G with clutch H is running. Pushing (left in Fig.4) the arbor will clamp the clutch washer I beween F and H, and thus couples both together. The two points on H are then pressed into the soft washer I, thus reliably connecting both parts.
    The clutch H is kept floating with springs J and K, and the spring L keeps the clutch parts apart. Coupled is by a lever (Fig.1, center) pressing on the center-second arbor. As the heights of all springs are adustable, the clutch can be sensitively adjusted to engage and disengage reliably without too much friction loss.
    In most chronographs the clutch is realised by gears, and therefore the second counter jumps one tooth forth or back when started. This doesn't happen here, but there is a drawback in return: The original clutch washers I became brittle after some time, and replacement isn't available since long. But one can make them from suitable plastic material.

Example, year: signature; shock device
    ca. 1945: Pierce Watch Co. Inc., Swiss, M, Patented, 17 Jewels

Not for Sale!
    The movements presented in this caliber finder are not for sale. This is only a data sheet for identification and evaluation of the movement calibre, as well as for approximate dating.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

8. Likes Dan R liked this post