Likes Likes:  1

Thread: No Service for Pierce Chrono (Cal. 139)

No Service for Pierce Chrono (Cal. 139)

I've been looking for someone to service my Pierce Chronograph (Cal.139) for a while now.

Everyone I've approached have said they can't get parts. Specifically the "plastic parts".

Does anyone know what these parts are?

What are the specifications of these "plastic parts"?

Has anyone tried to replicate these with a 3D Printer?

I'm wondering if I try to print the parts myself whether I'd have more luck finding a watchmaker to service it?

Appreciate any input or advice.

Thanks

Remarks
    indirect minute
    unusual: ratchet on dial side, crown mechanism with rocker bar

Patented axial clutch for second counter (Fig.3-5):
    The minute wheel A is not in the center like in conventional movements. It drives the hands gears via canon pinion (Fig.2), and the third wheel B. This drives the sub second Cand the detachable center second D.
    On the center-second arbor with heart disc Eand minute-counter driver F the pinion Gwith clutch H is running. Pushing (left in Fig.4) the arbor will clamp the clutch washer I beween F and H, and thus couples both together. The two points on H are then pressed into the soft washer I, thus reliably connecting both parts.
    The clutch H is kept floating with springs Jand K, and the spring L keeps the clutch parts apart. Coupled is by a lever (Fig.1, center) pressing on the center-second arbor. As the heights of all springs are adustable, the clutch can be sensitively adjusted to engage and disengage reliably without too much friction loss.
    In most chronographs the clutch is realised by gears, and therefore the second counter jumps one tooth forth or back when started. This doesn't happen here, but there is a drawback in return: The original clutch washers I became brittle after some time, and replacement isn't available since long. But one can make them from suitable plastic material.

possible this part but not sure if honest , possible 3d printing is a possible but a lot of people might not think cost effective enough to do is it a 139 ? thought 134 but not that up on these in house movements
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

plus circa 1940's it going to be a bear to find parts every time
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

Well that washer looks pretty straight forward. I guess it's everything else that's the problem. Thanks though.

BTW where is this description from?

Sent from my cracked, broken, hand wound Phone

Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    Well that washer looks pretty straight forward. I guess it's everything else that's the problem. Thanks though.

BTW where is this description from?

Sent from my cracked, broken, hand wound Phone
    pulled it from ranfft site and posted it on the thread for the pierce chrono you did here Is this a column wheel?

but here it is again in full

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Fig. 3

Fig. 4

Fig. 5
    Pierce 134

Features
    manual-wind chronograph, 60s, 60min, pillar wheel
    sub second

Data
    13''', Dm= 28.85mm; Do= 29.35mm
    H= 7.0mm
    F= 0.85mm
    T= 2.2mm
    7/17 jewels
    f = 18000 A/h
    power reserve 30h

Balance staff U1621

Stem W2046

Mainspring / battery
    Zf1245, 1.50 x 10.5 x 0.12 x 320mm

Hands
    2.35 x 1.48 x 0.35 / 0.35 x 0.21mm

Comments about the data
    Remarks
    indirect minute
    unusual: ratchet on dial side, crown mechanism with rocker bar

Patented axial clutch for second counter (Fig.3-5):
    The minute wheel A is not in the center like in conventional movements. It drives the hands gears via canon pinion (Fig.2), and the third wheel B. This drives the sub second C and the detachable center second D.
    On the center-second arbor with heart disc E and minute-counter driver F the pinion G with clutch His running. Pushing (left in Fig.4) the arbor will clamp the clutch washer I beween F and H, and thus couples both together. The two points on H are then pressed into the soft washer I, thus reliably connecting both parts.
    The clutch H is kept floating with springs J and K, and the spring L keeps the clutch parts apart. Coupled is by a lever (Fig.1, center) pressing on the center-second arbor. As the heights of all springs are adustable, the clutch can be sensitively adjusted to engage and disengage reliably without too much friction loss.
    In most chronographs the clutch is realised by gears, and therefore the second counter jumps one tooth forth or back when started. This doesn't happen here, but there is a drawback in return: The original clutch washers I became brittle after some time, and replacement isn't available since long. But one can make them from suitable plastic material.

Example, year: signature; shock device
    ca. 1945: Pierce Watch Co. Inc., Swiss, M, Patented, 17 Jewels

Not for Sale!
    The movements presented in this caliber finder are not for sale. This is only a data sheet for identification and evaluation of the movement calibre, as well as for approximate dating.
    Last edited by is that my watch; Jun 29, 2017 at 07:25 PM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

I found someone! A friendly and amiable chap in Texas...

http://www.abellwatchmakers.com/

He wasn't scared off by the 'hard to get plastic bits' (which were actually cork or leather originally!) on the clutch.

He's done a few Pierce chronos before and appears to know his craft.

He turned it around in a few weeks for a not unreasonable fee. And even sent me back the parts he replaced.

I'd use him again and would recommend him.

Name:  IMG_1806.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  77.3 KBName:  IMG_1802.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  92.4 KB
    Last edited by morningtundra; Jul 31, 2017 at 07:21 PM.

7. Likes Seriously liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    I found someone! A friendly and amiable chap in Texas...

http://www.abellwatchmakers.com/

He wasn't scared off by the 'hard to get plastic bits' (which were actually cork or leather originally!) on the clutch.

He's done a few Pierce chronos before and appears to know his craft.

He turned it around in a few weeks for a not unreasonable fee. And even sent me back the parts he replaced.

I'd use him again and would recommend him.

Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks for sharing!

Dan