Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Omega, Rolex, or Breitling?

Omega, Rolex, or Breitling?

Discuss.

What attracts you to each brand and what deters you from each brand?

I fully expect this to be a rather fiery discussion, but what the hell. I like the signal to noise ratio here, so I am looking for more informed (and hopefully, measured) responses.

Rolex is so common - every single person I saw on the way work today wore one! I wouldn't get one because everyone you ever meet ever asks you if it's fake.
    My mate was denied service in Starbucks because he was wearing an Omega and the barista wore a Patek.
    Breitling is only for pilots and rappers.

3. Likes Cybotron, mleok liked this post
    Then:

Omega guy: "Rolex is for poseurs who think they're James Bond."

Now:
    Rolex guy: "Omega is for poseurs who think they're James Bond."

Then:

Omega guy: "I could never stand those crappy Rolex bracelets with the stamped clasps."
    Rolex guy: "I buy the watch. I don't care about the bracelet as long as it does the job."

Now:

Rolex guy: "I can't stand those crappy Omega bracelets with no micro-adjusts."
    Omega guy: "I buy the wa..."

Everyone else: "You guys do realise that you sound like children, don't you?"
    Last edited by GaryF; Nov 14, 2014 at 12:01 PM.

5. Likes geoffbot, mleok liked this post
    Why choose?
    To be honest, I like all three brands. As long as they are the older models. All three went overboard size wise, although Omega is regaining it's senses considering the new AT's
    I have a 1601, and I will buy a Speedy Pro and a Chronomat at some point! And as every thread needs pictures, here's what I mean:
    My 1601:

The type of Chronomat I like:

And of course:

And there's of course plenty of other old treasures which are way out of budget

7. Likes Samanator, Teeritz, N/A, gnuyork, ilitig8 liked this post

I joke that someday my collection will be BORing because I will have one of each.

I also have an Omega, but it is not that interesting:

So now buy the Chronomat to have a complete set. But...first an IWC

11. Likes N/A liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Going to have to say Breitling per my present grail. All check many of the boxes for my love of dive watches, but the Avenger II Seawolf is kind of looking good. Doesn't have a fragile ceramic bezel. But hey, I'd wear anything but the omega constellation.

I think aesthetically, each watch has something that appeals to us.

In terms of movements, I would state that Rolex is probably slightly ahead. Both the Omega 1120 and the Rolex 3135 are pretty good, but the 3135 is slightly better.

While Breitling did use ETA movements, more often than not, they customized them either functionally or aesthetically. And their move to in-house movements (e.g., the B01) is very exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Montaigne View Post
    I think aesthetically, each watch has something that appeals to us.

In terms of movements, I would state that Rolex is probably slightly ahead. Both the Omega 1120 and the Rolex 3135 are pretty good, but the 3135 is slightly better.

While Breitling did use ETA movements, more often than not, they customized them either functionally or aesthetically. And their move to in-house movements (e.g., the B01) is very exciting.
    So bizarre. Literally never once heard you talk about watches - I thought your knowledge extended solely to working out (you seem to know your stuff), flying (enthusiastic amateur?) and sartorial saint (probably know more than me...probably).
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

15. Likes Chronopolitano, gnuyork liked this post