Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **** Pocket watch conversions ****

**** Pocket watch conversions ****

well I was reading a thread about a pocket watch and can you identify the watch history and in conversation I mention about how I had been looking at pocket watches so I could do a conversions so had been looking at this maker's watches..

so the question is how easy would it be and what are the hidden troubles you might encounter...

so first the dial and mechanism..

It would need to be a side winder for simple easy as I would like it to have a sub-second ideally at the six position or nine would be acceptable I suppose

so if we use a side winder then it can be a straight swap out ... unless I have over looked something ( and I could well have )

now the case and crown this is were I am wondering what sort would be best I mean you have the obvious welding on of lugs or quite liking the drilling two small whole on either side and have a pan type screw catch bar ...

or do we go for a wrist watch case if so what type would work best as it is a conversion I would not mind using new or old as it a Frankenstein it would not matter

so price let's keep this to a bit of fun so cheap if works ... then step it up a level maybe ....

this is something that I having been thinking about it for some time and probably will be an age before I do anything if ever

but would like to see what member's think of it and if they have done it and there thoughts on any things I might have over look and I'm sure I have probably over looked a few
    here is the sort of thing I was thinking

sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Very informative and nice watches.
    "Either He's Dead, Or My Watch Has Stopped....."
    Groucho Marx

I think the thing is to find a case that has the right diameter and stem height. For unitas 649x based watches, they can be found plenty, but I have no idea where to find cases for russian movements. But as Molnija (did I spell this right?) 360x movements are used all over the place, it should be doable. I know there's even vintage PAM cases built for this movement, as the molnija is based on the same movement as can be found in the original Panerai's, the Cortebert 618

4. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    well it can be any dial movement to a point want white / cream dial prefer numbers must have a second sub at the six or nine position and be a side winder.. so just use the Russian pic's because I love Russian watches so cool if it could be done with one. if not a Swiss or English pocket watch movement would do
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

I might have a case in mind then if it a pan is a good shot I would have probably tried it in it before buying anything anyway and it has a show case back to would show a movement of lovely
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

well have saw two possible donors

sharky
    rest easy good buddy

well from this thread I was going to convert a watch but I bought one for the case so I could have the right size case and parts to do a swap over but when it turn up it was in much better condition than first thought and with a bit of loving looked like this so I will maybe do one if I come across another case but kind like have the pocket watch and the wrist watch now so here they are
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I think the thing is to find a case that has the right diameter and stem height. For unitas 649x based watches, they can be found plenty, but I have no idea where to find cases for russian movements. But as Molnija (did I spell this right?) 360x movements are used all over the place, it should be doable. I know there's even vintage PAM cases built for this movement, as the molnija is based on the same movement as can be found in the original Panerai's, the Cortebert 618
    The Cortebert 616 is almost identical to the 618 and won't cost a grand or more unlike the 618 so it is a great candidate for pocket watch conversions and vintage PAM homages.

Another great option for a pocket watch conversion is a Cortebert 727. This movement uses the same hands, stem, cannon pinion and is the same size as a 6497/6498.
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

10. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    well from this thread I was going to convert a watch but I bought one for the case so I could have the right size case and parts to do a swap over but when it turn up it was in much better condition than first thought and with a bit of loving looked like this so I will maybe do one if I come across another case but kind like have the pocket watch and the wrist watch now so here they are
    Well done. Where did you get the case?
    Olma, Oris, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Luch, Elgin, Fossil, Orient

IWL DIY, Restorations and Mods subforum

Quote Originally Posted by 93EXCivic View Post
    Well done. Where did you get the case?
    Russian seller fuzzy pic's so cheap turn up in to a cigarette box if whiff for a day or so but is fine
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy