Likes Likes:  641
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Memory dump

A diversion. It's actually from 2009, but I've only just found it.

There was a 'What do you look like?' thread. I wasn't keen. With the exception of one or two watch forums, I don't do social media. No Facebook, no Instagram, no Twitter - nothing like that.

But as a forum moderator, I felt kind of obliged. I compromised by going in partial disguise.

Name:  AT.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  200.8 KB

Name:  G-1000.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  211.3 KB

G-1000

I don't remember much about this one. It may have failed the audition for the role awarded to the next one.

Name:  GW-2500B.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  193.5 KB

GW-2500B

Never mind my reservations about atomic-solar, this was a star. A very grown up G-Shock. Press two buttons together and the hands would move gracefully to your second time zone. This wasn't Casio doing rugged fun, this was Casio doing watchmaking. Casio has made a few pilot-type watches in recent years, but I'm not sure they've ever done anything better than this.

I gave it to my co-moderator Jimmy (DragonJade) when we went out to see Sjors in the Netherlands.

3. Likes iyonk, mlcor, CFR, Greg, popoki nui liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    A diversion. It's actually from 2009, but I've only just found it.

There was a 'What do you look like?' thread. I wasn't keen. With the exception of one or two watch forums, I don't do social media. No Facebook, no Instagram, no Twitter - nothing like that.

But as a forum moderator, I felt kind of obliged. I compromised by going in partial disguise.

Name:  AT.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  200.8 KB
    you look like a Hollywood movie star Alan!

is it just me or do any of you can se the resemblance of Alan and John Malkovich?

I'm on instagram: @iyonk_strap

5. Likes geoffbot, mlcor, CFR, Greg, OhDark30 liked this post
    Ha! He does a little!
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

7. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Actually... my sister has said the same thing. She once embarrassed me, introducing me to one of her friends. "This is my little brother, Alan. Don't you think he looks like John Malkovich?" And I stood there thinking, 'No, not really. Shut up, Barbara.'

9. Likes iyonk, Greg liked this post
    Here we go. It's a long story and we'll be coming back to it. Short story - my friend died and this was his watch.

Name:  Memovox 1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  179.4 KB

Name:  Memovox 2.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  139.4 KB

Name:  Memovox 3.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  196.7 KB
    Last edited by tribe125; Jul 24, 2017 at 08:16 PM.

After the Memovox - this?

Name:  Bulova.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  189.9 KB

Bulova Precisionist

I don't like showing this one at all. I embarrassed myself. It had a concave crystal - a swoopy and concave crystal. It had a seconds hand like a pair of hairdresser's scissors. It was far too big, and it felt like it was made out of recycled takeaway food containers. It would have been the brand new Precisionist movement that fascinated me - super-quartz for the masses - but the watch was an abomination. Utter folly. How could I have left the shop with it?

I had it for a day. Less than a day. I don't approve of taking things back to shops because you've changed your mind, but I did - and I threw in a gratuitous lie for good measure. It was a month before Christmas, and I said I had bought it as a present for my nephew. When I got home I found my wife had already bought it. They offered me tokens but I took money. I stand revealed as a bad and feeble man.

Name:  GW-2310.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  160.2 KB

GW-2310

The remake of the G-2310 as an atomic-solar watch. I'd owned the old model and always liked the look of the 2310. It reminded me of a souvenir that my father had brought back from the war - molten lava from Mount Etna moulded around a coin.

And that was 2010. Fifteen watches - a record. I'm not counting the clock and the Memovox. I'd like to not count the Bulova, because I returned it - but I am, to further punish myself.

So, like an alcoholic totting up his units, over five years it had been, 14, 14, 14, 11, 15.

12. Likes geoffbot, mlcor, meijlinder, CFR, Greg, iyonk, popoki nui liked this post
    Five years and 68 watches. Not bad.

14. Likes iyonk liked this post
    you must be awful to live with Alan -having such organised history of just one aspect of your life Alan not only with watches but i always regretted not keeping a record of my cars - all of those minis -fords -vauxalls -etc !! like hearing a tune from the 70's that puts you into that moment in time -
    really enjoying sharing this journey thru time with you and your very excellent observations even though its relatively recent history for an old fart like me

16. Likes iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    Five years and 68 watches. Not bad.

And not good. I think it gets better, I hope it gets better, but I'm beginning to wonder.