Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does this Seiko look legit to you?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Do you think that's the only style of indices that Seiko use? I've seen literally dozens of different ones.
    He's posted that picture because thats a 7000-8000, which is what the watch in the OP claims to be.

Have Seiko ever used indices like this (blown up from the OP)?

Name:  shite.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  10.2 KB

Admittedly, don't know much about 80s Seikos.

But even if they're authentic, they're still terrible, and I'm glad wmw didn't buy it. My 7000-8000 from 1971 cost me less than £25
    Last edited by Der Amf; Jan 18, 2015 at 05:29 PM.

2. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Firstly I've never seen indices which looked like someone had cut out four bits of metal and stuck them around the lume. Secondly it doesn't look like any other 7000 8000 I've seen.
    But they don't look like that, that's just an artifact of the angle of the picture - go look again and crank up the size of the picture - they are clearly a flat surface that has two raised sides that stop before the flat surface does. More to the point, both the lume and the sides are perfectly placed in an oblong of about one mm by three mm. That's incredibly precise for Indian fakery. Everything else looks spot on and the movement is pristine with no sign of the sort of brutal WD40 approcah to watch repair you see on most frankens and redials from the East.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    He's posted that picture because thats a 7000-8000, which is what the watch in the OP claims to be
    correct
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    But they don't look like that, that's just an artifact of the angle of the picture - go look again and crank up the size of the picture - they are clearly a flat surface that has two raised sides that stop before the flat surface does. More to the point, both the lume and the sides are perfectly placed in an oblong of about one mm by three mm. That's incredibly precise for Indian fakery. Everything else looks spot on and the movement is pristine with no sign of the sort of brutal WD40 approcah to watch repair you see on most frankens and redials from the East.
    I blew the photo up as far as my computer would allow, 500%. Anyway, got to go and cook

I just read the OP and this is listed as a 1990s manual wind? Excuse my ignorance but were Seiko still manufacturing this model in the 90s?

Sent from my GT-I9505

7. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by pepperami View Post
    I just read the OP and this is listed as a 1990s manual wind? Excuse my ignorance but were Seiko still manufacturing this model in the 90s?

Sent from my GT-I9505
    That seemed odd to me too. I think it's more likely 70s. I did try the serial number on the online checker but it didn't spit out a date.

9. Likes pepperami liked this post
    I would have thought 70's to well the pic I put up is a 1971 I think it was
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

It's certainly not a nineties watch. However, still arguing an apparently contrarian case - the 'standard' 7000 - 8000 has a dial with 7000 - 800 L R on it. The one we are discussing has 7000 - 801 L R and the 7000 - 8010 I posted with another variant of dial had 7000 - 802 L R Now either these Indian watch fakers are being incredibly subtle or these are three different dial types - 800, 801 and 802.

While on the subject of subtle fakery, I also note that the hands on the 801 dial are exactly the same style as the 800 dial but are just a smidge wider so that they match the indices.

All I'm saying is that if this is a redial or a franken, then the attention to detail is better than anything I have ever seen before.

Mind you, trying to find an identical one I also found something cool so I'm not moaning too much,

Incidentally, I make it September '71.

*Edit* OK, Google Fu pays off:

Here's a copy of the picture that we are discussing:

and here's a picture of a different but identical watch:

Which is in much nicer nick!

and here it is - note the dial number:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MENS-VINTAGE...p2047675.l2557
    Last edited by Matt; Jan 18, 2015 at 09:25 PM.

12. Likes Der Amf liked this post