Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **** For the love of old Chrono's ****

**** For the love of old Chrono's ****

Well might have said a thousand times or so that I love old chronographs have had a few mainly Russian 3133 got two in my collection with a third on the way , did have an old exactima chronograph too had to let that go a while back.

When I have a spare few minutes I like to look at the old chronos on the bay just for fun as there b.i.n prices are silly high and the auction prices vary so much hard to tell what each one will make suppose at the end of the day depends what someone is willing to pay same as with a lot of watches I suppose...

My idea is if any really catch my eye am going to post them here with what ever info I can find on them, just for fun and who does not like looking at old chronos just one thing... caveat emptor as I'm no expert just a lover of old watches .... so not saying how original they may be or not ... happy to give an opinion if asked... but that is all it will be one persons opinion.

Vintage (1970's ? ) BAYLOR chronograph, movement ETA 7750 .

looked in to it a bit

taken from https://shop.analogshift.com/product...or-chronograph

Baylor isn't a name that many collectors of vintage chronographs would know and it's certainly not likely to be the first name one would come to in a conversation about Heuer and the range of chronographs they produced throughout the 1960s and 70s for other brands. Referred to as "Poor Man's Heuers," these chronographs shared many of the same parts and all the same looks as the now popular and collectible Heuer counterparts.

or so here http://www.chronocentric.com/forums/...d=read;id=2732

Baylor is the name of a watch firm that was and may be still owned by the giant Dallas (Texas)retail jewelry firm of Zales. Heuer made numerous watches for Zales under the Baylor watch name. When Heuer decide to unload most all their mechancial and automatic watches and concentrate on the automatic chronograph Zales purchase the entire stock for pennies on the dollar. This is the story as told to me by one of the former top manager for Zales. Baylor is a American watch company and I would quess that it was named after a Texas University that is located in Dallas.

As always Ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes boatme99, Dan R, shameless liked this post

Next is my air force 3133, not technical vintage as from the 90's did think it was about twenty years older but this model seems to be from the 90's onward from the info I gleamed from my trusty Juri Levenbergs Russian wristwatch book, which says this ..

"chromium-plated case with black luminescent hands ,grey dial similar to the aviators chronograph "Sturmanskie", red sweeping seconds hand the case back bearing the inscription Sturmanskie in Cyrillic letters since 1990 "

it has a 3133 movement ....

Fig. 1

Fig. 2
    Poljot 3133

Features
    manual-wind chronograph, 60s, 30min, cam switched
    sub second
    date: set by changing 23-24h

Data
    14''', Dm= 31.0mm
    H= 7.35mm
    23 jewels
    f = 21600 A/h
    power reserve 51h

Mainspring / battery
    Zf1337, 1.60 x 12.5 x 0.13 x 430mm

Hands
    1.4 x 0.9 x 0.25 / 0.20 x 0.20mm
    Remarks
    1976-
    copy of the Valjoux 7734

Example, year: signature; shock device
    2005: 10021, P3133, 23 Jewels; Poljot
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

4. Likes morningtundra liked this post
    this is one of my favorite "old" dial chronos.... obscure, unremarkable brand with an unexciting landeron. Love the way it looks though.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra

6. Likes is that my watch, boatme99, Dan R liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    this is one of my favorite "old" dial chronos.... obscure, unremarkable brand with an unexciting landeron. Love the way it looks though.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
    I would say very exciting movement really

Fig. 1

Fig. 2
    Landeron 48

Features
    manual-wind chronograph, 60s, 30/45min, cam switched
    sub second

Data
    13.75''', Dm= 31.0mm, Do= 31.5mm
    H= 6.2mm
    F= 0.6mm
    T= 1.6mm
    17 jewels
    f = 18000 A/h
    power reserve 41h

Balance staff U1457 / U3137
    balance with/without screws

Stem W1158

Mainspring / battery
    Zf978, 1.35 x 12.0 x 0.14 x 360mm

Hands
    1.85 x 1.30 x 0.25 / 0.27 x 0.20mm
    Remarks
    1937-1970, >3.500.000 (all derivatives based on Landeron 48)
    There were various chrono mechanisms. And as their parts often were interchangable, occasionally series were produced with parts of different calibres.

family:
    48: 13.75'''
    54: 14'''
    56: 14''', calendar
    58: 13.75''', calendar

ca. 1955: Swiss Made, 17 Jewels; Incabloc

or did we call it a 47 can't remember now

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Fig. 3

Fig. 4
    Landeron 47

Features
    sub second

Data
    H= 6.2mm
    F= 0.6mm
    T= 1.6mm
    17 jewels
    f = 18000 A/h
    power reserve 41h

Balance staff U1457

Stem W1158

Mainspring / battery

Hands
    1.85 x 1.30 x 0.25 / 0.27 x 0.22mm

Remarks
    option: 3 pushers (reset with crown pusher)
    first chronograph with cam switching
    just shortly produced predecessor of the Landeron-48 family
    From the Landeron 47 to the 48 there was a floating transition. Many parts were modified, but except the minute-recorder jumper all are interchangable. Samples with all features of the Landeron 47 (like the examples) are pretty rare, and therefore can be dated to the first production year.

1-2) 1937: - Brevet+
    3-4) 1937: - Brevet+ (3 pushers)
    Last edited by is that my watch; Aug 17, 2017 at 10:45 PM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

ok going to add this one in too not really a vintage as somewhere mid 80's early 90's ....

Here's a brief story of Vremia (Bpemr): it was founded in Italy in late '80, when in Italy there was much interest for Russian watches. Vremia were designed with a strong russian style and were made in Switzerland for the Italian market during the years of the "perestroika" or "restructuring" movement led by Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev.. In summary, the intent of the Vremia was to join the value of the Swiss assembly to the "Soviet-style" (at the time called "Soviet Constructivism"). this was following the machine art movement style ...

using Russian 3133 movement the watches was assembled in Switzerland and sold in Italy
    Last edited by is that my watch; Aug 18, 2017 at 08:30 AM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

9. Likes Dan R liked this post
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  117.8 KB

LORENZ Valjoux 7734, Chronograph Funky 70's Racing Panda Dial Tachymeter.

Name:  s-l1600_1.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  127.3 KB

Lorenz is an Italian watch company which seems to have technology and aesthetic designs so was ultra modern at the time but hold a classic styling to be cool even now, the company was established in 1934 by Tullio Bolleta in Via Del Gesu in Milan, some time later they moved to via Montenapoleone still in Milan,they started to produce a multitude of Swiss made creations, ( there flagship store is still there I think ).

1960 lorenz won the Compasso D'oro award. even thought it was starting to developed it's own line of products, it continued market other brands products, it even started to sell casio timepieces in Italy in the mid 70's (1976) and till does I believe.

In the end they took on producing table clocks, wall clocks, and of course wrist watches in the mid 80's when they joined forces with Nathalie Du Pasquioer and Geogre J Sowden, Lorenz made the watches and clocks and called them Neos. the neos range went down well with collectors and critics,

They still continue to produce other products and won the title ‘Historic Company of the City of Milan’ steeped in tradition but still looking towards modernity , and yet to this day holds to the strictly demanding standards of high quality and originality.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

11. Likes morningtundra, Dan R liked this post
    founds this

http://montre24.com/brand/Lorenz/aboutlorenz/

Lorenz Watches
    In 1934, in Milan, at the street Via del Gesu, an Italian, Tullio Bolletta opened the company named Lorenz (the first name was La Regale). Some years later, he moved to the Via Montenapoleone that is famous for its luxurious stores.
    Since 1951, the company has called Lorenz. All of Lorenz watches are made in Switzerland, despite, the company's headquarters is located in Milan.
    In 1960, Lorenz received the Compasso d'Oro award for its Static table clock. The designer was Richard Sapper. Simple and accurate lines of the design attracted the jury's attention to the Static watch being made today.
    Cases of Lorenz watches wearing the “Swiss Made” emblem are made of 18 carat gold and stainless steel and equipped with Swiss movement ETA.
    In the beginning of the 1970s, the company launched the Directime watch collection of avant-garde design.
    In 1984, the company presented the Montenapoleone line which is one of the Lorenz main collections. In 2000, Lorenz manufactured modifications of the Montenapoleone collection. 26 new models are made of stainless steel. This collection includes watches whose case and surface treated in three ways:
    1. completely polished
    2. completely grinded
    3. combined treatment (polished case and grinded links which match central polished links of bracelets). It gives big opportunities for customers.
    The new Montenapoleone model line includes quartz watches as well as quartz chronographs. Their buckle is fixed due to pushing it. Tight-fitting bracelet gradually narrows from case to a buckle so watches look like a single whole. Models are water-resistant to 30 meters and have a sapphire dial.
    Lorenz is a brand that has managed to grow and keep its original style. Lorenz watches reflect Swiss technologies together with the Italian design. During many years, the company has launched classic, sports and elegant watches at the same time satisfying needs of its customers. While creating watches, the company even pays attention to small pieces. Its classical style never grows old as the company completely focuses on watchmaking only. Lorenz is the Swiss quality and Italian style. It should be noted that Lorenz is a family business leading brand.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Now we come to one of my favourites a 1970's citizen 8110a automatic chronograph.....

Fig. 1

Fig. 2

Fig. 3
    Citizen 8110A

Features
    automatic chronograph, 60s, 30min, 12h, pillar wheel
    flyback feature: reset and immediate restart
    day: set by reset-pusher in crown position for date setting, 2 languages
    date: quickset

Data
    12''', Dm= 27.0mm
    H= 6.9mm
    23 jewels
    f = 28800 A/h
    power reserve 40h

Stem Citizen 065-178
    Remarks
    1970-
    ball-bearing rotor
    usually as bull head (crown/puschers at 12h, day/date at 6h)

1977: Citizen Japan, 23 J.; Parashock

It was the lightest and smallest chronograph on the market when launched in 1972, 23 jewel automatic 28,800 beats per hour movement with a fly back movement ( which allows the wearer to zero the chronograph whist it's running , instead of having to stop it first.

now long gone love the weight and the feel and the buttons only really got rid of it as of two things one I felt the case has either had a replacement back or the case has be stripped as the plate said gp but was ss, so on thought probably replacement back as the condition was first rate but still niggle me suppose I could have bought a new back if I saw one but seemed a lot of messing around and secondly the dial was not sure if it had been restored as the originals was black and white and later a few other colours was seen love the orange dial but not sure as I said it was not added later, I said as much and reflected it in the price when I sold it ..

Last edited by is that my watch; Aug 22, 2017 at 10:02 AM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

14. Likes Dan R liked this post
    People sleep peaceably in their beds @ night ONLY because rough men stand ready to do VIOLENCE
    on their behalf.....

William

Member#842

16. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by watchdaddy1 View Post
    does that have the 248 in it ? guessing 60's / 70's so a good possible

Fig. 1

Fig. 2
    Landeron 248

Features
    sub second

Data
    H= 6.2mm
    F= 0.6mm
    T= 1.6mm
    17 jewels
    f = 18000 A/h
    power reserve 41h

Balance staff U1457 / U3137
    balance with/without screws

Stem W1158

Mainspring / battery

Hands
    1.85 x 1.30 x 0.25 / 0.27 x 0.20mm

Remarks
    1937-1970, >3.500.000 (all derivatives based on Landeron 48)
    There were various chrono mechanisms. And as their parts often were interchangable, occasionally series were produced with parts of different calibres.

family:
    248: 13.75'''
    187: 13.75''', date

ca. 1960: NO, Swiss; Incabloc
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy