Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: **** Watch owner or just a caretaker ****

**** Watch owner or just a caretaker ****

Well this question comes about because as I was doing the monthly WRUW in a few of the sub-forums, I got to the vintage and my choice was a Certina bristol 190 it's from the 70's I think ? old any way and in really good shape I hardly wear it as I get concerned of damaging it and as it lasted this long it would be a shame to damage it now, so as I said I felt more like a caretaker then an owner and this is not the only watch to make me feel this way got some I have not used in 12 months easy because I don't want to see them get damaged so I get a certain amount of enjoyment from them and have worn them on occasions but not anymore. so I came to a realization a good while back which I suppose relates to this that I would not buy any watch I would fret over ,

never really thought about those ones that just sit in a draw but as I want a special watch I need to sell some to do this, and it came as a surprise but am ready to move them on ( one time it was.. did not want to use them but at the same time did not want to sell them so they just sat there unused ) as I got pics of them now, I can look at if I feel the need too anyway now. I suppose I don't need them (and I am also starting to think if a watch sit's unused for too long. good chance it will have issues when it's time to use / sell them ) found that with a few that went away fine but came out grump and had to be seen too , why not release the watches and maybe those that buy them might want to wear them and not feel the way I do... is there any watches that you feel own's you and not the other way round ?

As always ismy
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

2. Likes CFR, iyonk liked this post
    That's me and most of my vintages.

However, they do get their fair share of time - no pun intended - on my wrist. I don't have an utilitarian (sctricto sensu) view of my "collection". To me, a watch is not made exclusively to be worn, but also to be admired. So, no worries and problem solved.

These are some of my most "problematic" examples

Name:  Omegas_25.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  446.4 KB

Name:  GOLD_Watch_1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  454.6 KB

Name:  Omegas_26.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  427.9 KB
    Last edited by CFR; Jul 31, 2017 at 11:55 PM.

suppose some times one gets to pondering on their collection and I seem to have three my wears, my keeps because of their nature and whats left and I found I don't really need the whats left ... mean at one time I would swap my watch daily hourly but now one watch could be worn for weeks well say two one as a beater and then the other for lazing around in so will swap back and forwards depending needs
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

I know what you mean, Ismy. Sometimes, I feel the same - let me rephrase - sometimes I feel like getting rid of the whole bunch or, at least, a big part of it. Then, I take a cup of tea, relax and decide for more drastic measures to be taken in a vague moment in the future.
    I find myself repeating this procedure more often lately, but please don't tell anyone.

6. Likes iyonk, happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    think you get to the point of being swamped in watches mean probably sold over a hundred watches in the last few months with probably another 50 easy that can go... so it's a two part thing one space and two if I want a new watch things are tight at the minute so watches need to go to fund it, so works well in a way a lot of them was impulse buys that never got worn that much, I seem to be a lot more choose of late or maybe I getting a better understanding of what suits me maybe
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

I also did a few - ok, more than a few - impulse buys, but not in the last couple of years. I don't want to lie, but I'm reasonably confident saying the acquisition process has, for all intents and purposes - vanished or become almost irrelevant. It gets more and more difficult to find pieces really interesting, keeping in mind this can become an unacceptably (to me) expensive hobby. There's a moment when enough means: really enough.

P.S.: I may have to many watches, already...
    Last edited by CFR; Aug 1, 2017 at 12:36 AM.

9. Likes iyonk liked this post
    I don't wear my birth year Mickey Mouse very often out of fear I'll do something to damage it. It would be difficult to repair, although I did go through that fear about a year ago when it mysteriously stopped running; another forum member was able to forward me the contact info for a kindly old gentleman who specializes in repairing Disney character watches. This watch is only worn a few times a year.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

11. Likes CFR, is that my watch, iyonk liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    I also did a few - ok, more than a few - impulse buys, but not in the last couple of years. I don't want to lie, but I'm reasonably confident saying the acquisition process has, for all intents and purposes - vanished or become almost irrelevant. It gets more and more difficult to find pieces really interesting, keeping in mind this can become an unacceptably (to me) expensive hobby. There's a moment when enough means: really enough.
    I had a long, hard thought the other day about the state of my collection, and drew the conclusion that there are only five watches I PLAN to buy; only five that I feel I need. As I told my wife, there will likely be a few that sneak their way into the watch boxes, but there are only the five that I intend to buy. She was ok with the cumulative purchase price so I think I'm good. She also stated she knew these wouldn't be the only five watches I ever buy and she seemed to be ok with that, too. My wife is pretty effin' awesome.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

13. Likes is that my watch, Chicolabronse liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post

P.S.: I may have to many watches, already...
    yeah my watch funds has always been tight so I was luck that my taste went to the likes of Russians watches and vintage but even those are not thrilling me at the minute seem to be ok getting rid but not seeming much to buy with at what I used to spend , at one time you could still get a decent vintage or Russian under a ton but now... that only seems to happen when I'm selling them

been a learning curve each time I do a round of sales on what sells and what don't the ones I thought was maybe hidden gems ..not so much , some I did not think much of have done well ish . annoys me some times that certain good quality watches go so cheap . it see askewered in favour of certain types of watches
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I had a long, hard thought the other day about the state of my collection, and drew the conclusion that there are only five watches I PLAN to buy; only five that I feel I need. As I told my wife, there will likely be a few that sneak their way into the watch boxes, but there are only the five that I intend to buy. She was ok with the cumulative purchase price so I think I'm good. She also stated she knew these wouldn't be the only five watches I ever buy and she seemed to be ok with that, too. My wife is pretty effin' awesome.

-hayday
    well I some time buy junker lots just to have some thing to tinker with , with the knowledge they wont say long , but like to get down to say combine say 25 watches more just seems to me at the minute as too much I really have seemed to take less is more on board with a vengeance
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy