Likes Likes:  32
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: **** Watch owner or just a caretaker ****

Quote Originally Posted by is that my watch View Post
    yeah my watch funds has always been tight so I was luck that my taste went to the likes of Russians watches and vintage but even those are not thrilling me at the minute seem to be ok getting rid but not seeming much to buy with at what I used to spend , at one time you could still get a decent vintage or Russian under a ton but now... that only seems to happen when I'm selling them

been a learning curve each time I do a round of sales on what sells and what don't the ones I thought was maybe hidden gems ..not so much , some I did not think much of have done well ish . annoys me some times that certain good quality watches go so cheap . it see askewered in favour of certain types of watches
    What can I say? Fashion, trends, urban cultures, basic speculation...who knows? It's all highly volatile and unpredictable

Quote Originally Posted by hayday View Post
    I don't wear my birth year Mickey Mouse very often out of fear I'll do something to damage it. It would be difficult to repair, although I did go through that fear about a year ago when it mysteriously stopped running; another forum member was able to forward me the contact info for a kindly old gentleman who specializes in repairing Disney character watches. This watch is only worn a few times a year.

-hayday
    think their a slight difference with some watches thou mean take the forum watch knew I would hardly wear it as it would not last long to me as very hands on kinda guy , but I was going to have it and it's there if I ever wear fancy duds , so got a few that just can't see going , but saying that maybe down the line once all the others are gone I might do but just can't see it at the minute.
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

My collection can best be described as "covering all bases." Whatever the situation or style, I've got a watch for that; except I lack a true dress watch, one that is meant to be worn with a tuxedo. The five I "need" to add are a GMT, Flieger, deck watch, tonneau case and a regulateur.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

4. Likes happyscrappyheropup liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by CFR View Post
    What can I say? Fashion, trends, urban cultures, basic speculation...who knows? It's all highly volatile and unpredictable
    yeah total agree on that if you want to try and break even you got to choose which ones for the time, some I should have sold sooner others maybe later .. it been a lesson in economics fo sure ... my plan was start with the tat and work up but maybe should have done the reverse with how things went but all good I suppose
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

6. Likes CFR liked this post
    think their a slight difference with some watches thou mean take the forum watch knew I would hardly wear it as it would not last long to me as very hands on kinda guy , but I was going to have it and it's there if I ever wear fancy duds , so got a few that just can't see going , but saying that maybe down the line once all the others are gone I might do but just can't see it at the minute.
    Back to your original post, most of my watches I wear because I want to wear them. The only watch I really worry about is the Mickey Mouse because it would be difficult to replace. I'm a bit protective of it so it only gets worn a few times a year. In that respect, I'm more of its caretaker.

-hayday
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

My collection can best be described as "covering all bases." Whatever the situation or style, I've got a watch for that; except I lack a true dress watch, one that is meant to be worn with a tuxedo. The five I "need" to add are a GMT, Flieger, deck watch, tonneau case and a regulateur.

-hayday
    yeah can see that was my way of thinking at one time but now I am more one watch that does all that seems preferable
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Some people have clearly defined collections, whereas I have an accumulation of watches with different styles to fit different situations. Your Russian collection certainly defines you as a "collector," if not connoisseur.

-hayday

10. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    Some people have clearly defined collections, whereas I have an accumulation of watches with different styles to fit different situations. Your Russian collection certainly defines you as a "collector," if not connoisseur.

-hayday
    yeah maybe connoisseur maybe as with the Russian watch there ones I want to check out maybe do a thread on then once I have checked them out. am happy to move them on for the most part mean there are a good few keepers in there got some 80's vostok that won't go anywhere and the 3133's and the pilots and the copper dial 1940's ch and the dude and the like that will stay but other not so much like the raketa world time or the art deco botock , the parnters watch the red 12 and some luch that don't hold any sentiment so will go.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

yeah maybe connoisseur maybe as with the Russian watch there ones I want to check out maybe do a thread on then once I have checked them out. am happy to move them on for the most part mean there are a good few keepers in there got some 80's vostok that won't go anywhere and the 3133's and the pilots and the copper dial 1940's ch and the dude and the like that will stay but other not so much like the raketa world time or the art deco botock , the parnters watch the red 12 and some luch that don't hold any sentiment so will go.

You're a connoisseur. Accept it.

-hayday

13. Likes is that my watch liked this post
    well it's two in the morning here so suppose I should make the effort to sleep so will pick this up in the morning
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy