Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pierce Restoration

Pierce Restoration

I got this back today from The Watch Guy...

For US$200 I am very happy with the outcome.

Name:  x4203.JPG
Views: 156
Size:  169.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_2242.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  76.7 KB
    Name:  DSCN7626.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  54.4 KB

Thumbs up for The Watch Guy (Kevin James). The outcome is very nice.

However, the work took a looong time. He claims it was possibly the dirtiest watch movement he had ever worked on and required 3(!) strip down and cleanings before he could get it running well.

I'm glad it's home and plan to wear the heck out of it...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by morningtundra; Sep 19, 2017 at 08:26 PM.

nice job indeed
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Blog Entries
    Indeed, that is nice, especially for 200USD. I like how he cleaned the dial enough to make it look good without further messing it up. That is hard to do!

Thanks,

Dan

4. Likes OhDark30 liked this post
    I noticed a little rattling... something similar to what you'd expect from an automatic bumper movement. I honestly don't remember this prior to sending it in for service (but never really wore it). I unscrewed the case back and noticed the two movement locking screws are missing and the only thing holding the movement in place is the winding stem (!). I'm concerned that with time, the winding stem is going to give out. So I went back to my BEFORE and AFTER pictures and noticed they have always been absent.

Q: Do their absence suggest this movement has been re-cased?

Q: Even if I can find the correct sized screws, are they likely to fit the case and secure the movement?

Q: Do I have any other options to fix this?

BEFORE:
    Name:  x42012.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  204.6 KB
    AFTER:
    Name:  IMG_2289.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  118.8 KB
    Last edited by morningtundra; Sep 25, 2017 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    I noticed a little rattling... something similar to what you'd expect from an automatic bumper movement. I honestly don't remember this prior to sending it in for service (but never really wore it). I unscrewed the case back and noticed the two movement locking screws are missing and the only thing holding the movement in place is the winding stem (!). I'm concerned that with time, the winding stem is going to give out. So I went back to my BEFORE and AFTER pictures and noticed they have always been absent.

Q: Do their absence suggest this movement has been re-cased?

Q: Even if I can find the correct sized screws, are they likely to fit the case and secure the movement?

Q: Do I have any other options to fix this?

AFTER:
    Name:  x42012.JPG
Views: 143
Size:  204.6 KB
    BEFORE:
    Name:  IMG_2289.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  118.8 KB
    depend I have been working on a couple of 1940's 1m43 now one was in a bubble back case one was in a screw back the bubble back had retaining screws in it ...while the screw back one it had a spacer to keep the movement centre and to help stop a movement wobbling when being wound .. in a way quiet common for them to go missing .. over the years in realty might possible cause damage in the long run but probably not likely but who can tell ok ..

options are

one find a couple of old screws to fit it not that hard really any small screw might fit but you want one with a big head to catch the lip

now a Russian 2209 have these screw and have used them for other movements also the 3602 have them but are a bit bigger thread... but looking at it they would not have used them as the case size is too big for the movement

so the simpler option is just to get a spacer any cheap tat lot might have a few in it and just find one of the same sort of size and hey presto ..

looking at it I reckon it would have had a spacer at some point that has been taken out and forgotten to be put in

or thirdly it might have had a solid ring that fit over the movement then screw down in place

but a spacer would still do the job on it's own
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy

7. Likes Dan R liked this post
    That's helpful. Thank you.

I think I'm going to have to get myself a set of digital calipers to determine what size movement spacer to look for.

Are we talking about something like these?

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/movement-spacer-rings

well at a guess it would have been some thing like this original that would be pushed in to the space then the screws would be screwed in holding everything firm

Name:  PICT0001.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  90.8 KB Name:  PICT0002.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  72.7 KB

but any spacer should work well most
    Last edited by is that my watch; Sep 25, 2017 at 03:46 PM.
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    That's helpful. Thank you.

I think I'm going to have to get myself a set of digital calipers to determine what size movement spacer to look for.

Are we talking about something like these?

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/movement-spacer-rings
    possible but make sure for mech movement not quartz
    sharky
    rest easy good buddy

Pierce Restoration

That's a lovely job he's done for you there, and as Dan says, great that he hasn't restored/ cleaned it out of all recognition.
    I've got a 1950 civvie J88 chrono, and remember reading this article http://www.dirkfassbender.de/j88.html by a guy who had his 'restored' losing much of the charm of the original dial, particularly the 3s and the texture of the dial (different weights of line, crumbly lume)

Good luck sourcing a spacer and/or screws, and enjoy that little beauty!
    It's the final countdown! PM me before they're all gone!

12. Likes morningtundra liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by OhDark30 View Post
    That's a lovely job he's done for you there, and as Dan says, great that he hasn't restored/ cleaned it out of all recognition.
    I've got a 1950 civvie J88 chrono, and remember reading this article http://www.dirkfassbender.de/j88.html by a guy who had his 'restored' losing much of the charm of the original dial, particularly the 3s and the texture of the dial (different weights of line, crumbly lume)

Good luck sourcing a spacer and/or screws, and enjoy that little beauty!
    That was an interesting article. I’d be a little disappointed with that refinish too. I’m surprised they got the typography so wrong. And after 500 days?! WTH?