Likes Likes:  2,546
Page 35 of 111 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Five Things

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    Well, get cracking!

Name:  6BDFD497-1F86-4E13-B96A-F126284F9671.jpeg
Views: 162
Size:  20.4 KB
    Last edited by tribe125; Aug 17, 2018 at 07:33 PM.

2. Likes mlcor, synequano liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    ?

Does not want to open on my phone app..?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't show on p.c either

Quote Originally Posted by alpharulez View Post
    ?

Does not want to open on my phone app..?

welcome if I ant said it before
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Fixed.

6. Likes CFR liked this post
    I don't know about Rolex replacing parts without permission but I've heard it happened with Panerai (replacing the tritium hands and dials even though the client specifically said no to both;and the horror of changing the dial of their older watches like 55 or 61 <tobacco color and painted lume> to new dial <black color and sandwich lume> which practically made a frankenpam from the factory)

• Not content with thermo-compensation, the Longines VHP movement can detect magnetic fields. The mechanism pauses when it senses danger and then restarts when all is safe. The hands catch up the time lost.

• The top twenty best-selling watches over £5,000 in the UK are all Rolex models. The top twenty is calculated by number, not by value. Presumably, some variants within a single model family are included in the list.

• It’s not unknown for watches with the same movement to be serviced in batches. Multiple movements are disassembled, components are mixed together and sent for cleaning. The cleaned components are re-assembled with only parts bearing a serial number being reunited with the original case.

• Jaquet Droz exhibited 9,000 models at the 1966 Basel Fair. Well, not exactly. The Swiss Watchmaker's Co-operative (SUG) would put any name you liked on the dial and on this occasion branded its samples as ‘Jaquet Droz’. Today, we might call the Swiss Co-operative a ‘private label’ manufacturer.

• Patek Philippe fitted watches with date magnifiers before Rolex. It was a feature that could be requested on the Ref. 1518, introduced in 1941. The magnifier was fitted underneath the crystal, over the day and month apertures. The date itself was read with a pointer. It is said that Rolex first fitted a date magnifier because Hans Wilsdorf’s wife had difficulty reading the date on her watch.

Five Things

• Patek Philippe fitted watches with date magnifiers before Rolex. It was a feature that could be requested on the Ref. 1518, introduced in 1941. The magnifier was fitted underneath the crystal, over the day and month apertures. The date itself was read with a pointer. It is said that Rolex first fitted a date magnifier because Hans Wilsdorf’s wife had difficulty reading the date on her watch.
    The Ebel Cal 139 1911 BTR chono has a date magnifier under the crystal. It provides a subtle but effective magnification.

Last edited by WWII70; Aug 23, 2018 at 08:19 PM.
    Ebels (lots), IWC, Omega, FC, Eterna, Tag, Invicta, Movado
    If you are interested in the details http://www.intlwatchleague.com/membe...70&tab=aboutme

10. Likes rodia77, synequano, iyonk liked this post
    • Is it natural for the date to be on the right of the dial, or are we just used to it? Legend has it that everyone copied Rolex who were the first to make a watch with a date aperture. But not just that, says the legend, Rolex specifically chose the right-hand position because the date would be the first thing to emerge from your sleeve when you wanted to check the date. Assuming that you’re right-handed.

• Bulova has more than one connection to the moon. Joseph Bulova, founder of the Bulova watch company was born in the town of Louny, then in Bohemia, now in the Czech Republic. Louny was originally called Luna and the moon is a feature of the town’s coat-of-arms. Louny is a short drive over the mountain border from Glashütte.

• The first watch in space was worn by a dog. The watch was a Pobeda 34-K and the dog was Chernushka (or ‘Blackie’). The watch was strapped to the dog by medical researcher Dr. Abraham Genin. It was Genin’s personal watch and he was still wearing it late in life. The dog beat Yuri Gagarin into space by a month.

• The first watch ever was German, according to a small team of experts in Nuremberg, Germany. It was made by Peter Henlein in 1505 and was used by sailors to time their four-hour shifts - or watches. And that’s how it came to be called a watch.

• Tradition isn’t about repeating what you did in the past, according to Lange & Söhne. It’s about enduring values that allow for a change of approach. Lange also distinguishes between luxury and exclusivity. If a brand of muesli can be ‘luxury’ Lange needs to be exclusive. Exclusivity is about limited supply, which will never be the case with muesli. If Lange did repeat what they did in the past they’d mostly be making pocket watches.

• Is it natural for the date to be on the right of the dial, or are we just used to it?
    No, it's natural for a date to be at 6:00.

13. Likes Raza, iyonk, synequano liked this post
    [LIST][*]was used by sailors to time their four-hour shifts - or watches. And that’s how it came to be called a watch.

[*]
    That is interesting!!

Quote Originally Posted by mlcor View Post
    No, it's natural for a date to be at 6:00.
    I'd have thought 3 was easiest if you have the crown at 3 which most definitely makes most sense.
    Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague