Likes Likes:  157
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your heirloom watches here!

Post your heirloom watches here!

Michael's thread about his father's watch has motivated me to start a thread where everyone can post a picture of an heirloom watch--one that belonged to a relative and now belongs to you, that you would like to pass on to another family member. I'll start with my father's Hamilton, given to him in the early 1970's. To my recollection, he wore it every day, and when he passed away (quite young, unfortunately), it came to me. I had it cleaned, and one of the lugs repaired, and wear it infrequently. It will pass on to my son someday, whether he wants to wear it or not.

Name:  Hamilton December 2015 2 Small.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  53.1 KB

I don't know that it is heirloom since my dad kind of discarded it? Zodiac.
    Name:  53013444278__40DA16DC-5A73-4A7B-947E-0D756B26C01E.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  67.1 KB
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Sure it does--your father wore it, you now have it, that works. My thread, my rules.

4. Likes Samanator, watchdaddy1, geoffbot liked this post
    well my dad was never in to watches that much ( till of late and now got a few of my ones I gifted him and when he saw mags watch I won ..well was not long before he was wearing it ) but have got a smiths that was my granddads but in need of repair and a Elsinore pocket watch also in need of repair that was a uncles I think ,so guess it will be my pleasure to start a heirloom watch going at some point
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

6. Likes mlcor, meijlinder, watchdaddy1 liked this post
    My father’s Smiths, which as a carpenter and builder he carried in a protective metal case with a perspex window.

Name:  P1130462 xx 800.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  239.8 KB

I did have my grandfather's pocket watch - a big silver Waltham, but my nephew already has it.

My 1960s Memovox is a semi-heirloom because it came from a close friend rather than a relative.

Name:  P1110273 ccc 1 800.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  244.2 KB

I don't mind what happens to my watches when I die, but my nephew might take my father's watch and add it to my grandfather's. I'm not really into heirlooms, but some things are hard to get rid of.
    Last edited by tribe125; Oct 20, 2017 at 08:44 PM.

I got a smiths that I repaired too
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    sharky
    one of the most original good guys their was never anything but a true friend "the daito to my shoto"
    rest easy good buddy
    https://gofund.me/eb610af1

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post

Those Autographics are cool. I can't tell you how many times I've almost bought one. My only complaint is it's just a bit too small. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it was, say, 36mm.
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

10. Likes watchdaddy1 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Both my father and grandfather (on mother's side) were into watches, which might explain why I have liked them for as long as I remember. Oldest heirloom was my grandfather's 1936 Hamilton, which he wore almost every day for around 35 years (he died in the mid '70s.) I received it from my mom in the late 70s and wore it at my wedding, and other special occasions. I gave it to my niece last year, after she had her first baby.

Name:  HamiWr1Sm.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  66.0 KB

Then there's a gift that my grandfather received from a grateful patient of his in 1958 (he was a cardiologist.) It's a solid gold Gubelin-Audemars Piguet, which he only wore for special occasions. I had it serviced in 2011, and I give it some light exercise every month or two, but I have only worn it a few times for occasions. It's really tiny - 25mm square by 6mm thin. I tried encouraging my wife to wear it but she didn't. It'll probably go to my nephew someday.

And the watch I'm wearing today, also posted on Michael's thread. A watch my dad abandoned after he discovered the accuracy of quartz, which he preferred. It's a Bucherer 7730 from around 1973-4 timeframe. I had it serviced this year after finding it in a drawer while emptying their house. It's my only mechanical chrono at this point, and it reminds me of him.

I don't think too hard about where my own collection will end up - probably my niece and nephew. It's not so valuable from a monetary point of view, and only these few have any nostalgic value (OK, maybe the one I bought myself in the 70s, but it's also not fancy.)
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

All pics are old and were taken only for reference purposes; please forgive their horrible quality

My (unfortunately) almost destroyed grandfather's watch. My father wore it for a few years, until it was abandoned completely. It's in terrible shape.

Name:  Cerzelines.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  310.0 KB

I have a couple of my great grandfather's pocket watches. He specifically instructed my grandfather to keep the Cortébert until I was 18 years old and than, give it to me. I had the watch serviced and it runs perfectly.

My great grandfather passed away, when I was four years old. I can still vaguely remember him. He had a very active life, a strong (local) political activity and, knowing some of his stories, he must have been quite a character.
    I wish I had the chance and the privilege to know him better and I'm absolutely sure I would have learnt a lot, from him.

Name:  Cortebert_Pocket.JPG
Views: 88
Size:  357.0 KB Name:  Pocket 1A.JPG
Views: 85
Size:  400.5 KB

Me? I don't really care who's going to have my watches. Maybe I'll start to give a few and probably sell others. Haven't decided yet, haven't really thought about it and, as I said before: who cares?!

Actually, I never thought on getting rid of my watches, until recently. Sooner or later, the process will inevitably get to a start.
    Last edited by CFR; Oct 21, 2017 at 03:04 AM.

I'm taking some liberties with this as my father or grandfather never wore a watch, so I've had nothing passed on to me. However, as the only truly untouchable watch in my collection, and one that I've wanted since I could remember....I plan to (hopefully) pass along my Speedmaster to my son or any grandchildren I may have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk