Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: My Watch Journey

While Rob was visiting me at the hospital just before I went home, I told him I might be interested if he had a pre-owned GO Seventies in blue or grey. About a month later he had one come in from a trade. By this time I was hoping it was the grey. It was the blue again. I told him I was not sure so I paid to have it shipped to me to try it. I got it sized, and put it on for a few minutes. The bracelet was as good and as quick to size as I remembered it, but I did not remember it weighing so much. The blue just was not working for me this time. I sent it back the next day, and I don't think I pursue the grey (at least not right now). Since I've counted other in and out watches this would be 339.

Picture is from the first one since the second had the blue date wheels, but I did not take a picture of it. A web search for a photo of one with the blue date wheel did not help since most of the photos that came up are mine.
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

My Watch Journey

I'm now down to the last two watches that I have ordered for 2017. We'll start with the one I actually don't have yet first.

Back in February I put deposit down for the new LE speedy from Basel so I was in line for one if I wanted it. Two were announced at Basel. One was a blue dial with gold hands and indexes Apollo 17 LE. Not my cup of tea and nowhere as unique as the 45th Anniversary Apollo 11 LE. It was a pass. So option two was the 57 Speedy reissue. I really wanted to see one, but this was the one I went with. Then in May I attended a Omega event at the Aventura Boutique, and got to see the Apollo 17, and the 57 trilogy. Before going there the 57 Seamaster and Railmaster had the least interest. Holding and wearing them these two had me the most interested. I changed my preorder with Rob to the 57 Seamaster 300 Master Chronometer. I've seen and tried the real thing before and they really pulled this one off very well. They even figured out how to fit the MC co-axial movement in a 12mm case and still have 300m WR (hint it has a solid case back). The bracelet with the vintage Omega logos on these are fantastic. According to the Omega web site these were to be at AD sometime in May. It's nearly October now and as far as I know only a couple of the Railmasters have found their way to owners yet. So when it arrives this would be lifetime watch 343 since it is already paid for.

The 57 trilogy: L-R Seamaster, Speedmaster and Railmaster

57 Seamaster

So what is lifetime watch 340? The 43mm Red Sea Dweller would be that watch. Since getting Explorer II the Hulk always felt a bit small. I really wanted a Sub XL which the DSSD is not since it does not have the required cyclops that makes it a Sub to me, and the dial and hands are really any large than the Sub. With the new 43 SD it has the Sub features scaled up from the 40mm case to the 43 case. Then add a red Sea Dweller text on the dial like the 67 original. The 40mm version never appealed to me, and apparently not to many others since you could walk in pretty much any Rolex AD in the area and they would have at least two in stock with a decent discount. I think the issue was the 40mm case with the 15mm thick watch. It actually looked thicker on the wrist. The 43mm is the same thickness, but the 43mm case makes it really look much thinner than that. Usually new Rolex do not show up at AD until August and September. These started to show up at AD in late April in other part of the world in early May in the US. Just on the chance I stopped in the AD and they had mine. They were just waiting for their watch department manager to get back from vacation. They knew it was mine since I was first on the list so I got to take it home that day. This replaced the Hulk in my collection, and I find it exactly what I was looking for. Now they need to do this to the GMT II.

Wrist shot with a pom puppy
    Cheers,

Michael

My Watch Journey

BWTM (But wait there's more), Scanning through my pictures and notes I have two missing. I've gifted three Suunto Core watches to my neighbors kids. Lisa and I have watched them grow up here on our street since we both moved in very close to the same time. The youngest was just crawling when they first moved in. We spend many a weekend sitting around having a drink (which is mostly water or juice for me), Indian food, music and some conversation at their garage (he has a second full kitchen in the garage). Taking the advice from a thread a year ago I did not buy the black with white display this time but the grey with black reverse display Suunto Core Grey Crush. I like that these can also share my 24mm straps with my 619. These newer series come the lug kit already on them so you don't have to buy it separately. My key like of the core models is the compass and storm warning system that is incredibly accurate. So adjusting the numbers above this is lifetime watch 341.

I also missed one that I gave a try. I've been to Toppers many times since they added the GS line. Spend a day or two walking by the watch cases and a few watches will really stand out. The cream dial SBGM 020 and 021 (GMT) are the ones that always pop out to me in a case full of GS watches. Rob did his GS sale just after Basel where GS announced they were removing the standalone Seiko name from the dial and would now have the GS logo with the words under it Grand Seiko just below the 12 on 3 and 4 hand watches and under the 11 index on chronographs. I figured this was a good time to give it a try. I got the GMT (SBGM021) since it is a bit more interesting. It was very nice, but just not sporty enough for me. If I had to wear a suit with a dress everyday this would be my first choice. Given my daily attire of shorts, running shoes and a dry fit t-shirt it's a bit to nice. So this would be lifetime watch 342.

Cheers,

Michael

My Watch Journey

So a few things in summary with 343 lifetime watches so far. I actually very content with my current set of watches. I have more that I wish but, it is to the point it would be difficult to justify getting rid of any of them. For me here are a few rules for it to last in my collection:

Needs to be a sport watch with a bracelet or strap that can get wet.
    At this point Rolex and Tudor are the only brands I have on a bracelets.
    I like GMT watches.
    I don't like dress watches.
    I will always take the in-house option if there is one, and in most cases will not buy it if there is not (12 mechanical watches with one non in-house movement...In-house snob)
    Larger readable dials are preferred by me with appropriately sized hands..
    White, Black and Brown are my favorite dial colors. True white will always be my first choice.
    I like aged look retro (except for that Zenith Type 20 GMT...that went a bit too far), and reissue models the best.
    PP, ALS, and AP (and put most other high-end mostly dress watch companies)will most likely never have anything that interests me.
    43mm seems like my ideal case size.
    Not really a fan of matching date wheel colors. To hard to find the date.
    Prefer 4:30 as the date position so it does not mess up the 5 minute indexes.
    I try to avoid precious metals (Although I still harbor a desire to own the Rose Gold Yachtmaster on the rubber bracelet).
    Will I wear it anytime is my main qualifier now for what I keep, and buy.
    Order of preference in case materials : Titanium, SS, and Ceramic (preferably from a Swatch Group brand).
    A few of the ones below I have posted up for sale, but have backed out the more I though about it.
    In most cases when I bought the same watch a second time, it has not worked out.

Not a lot on my horizon. I might give the AT one more try. May get a second DSOM Vintage Black, since I sold that to possible get the other option I'm considering... the BP Bathyscaphe Flyback Hi-Beat Chronograph in ceramic. I might get the Rose Gold Yachtmaster some day. I think that would signal I'm done.

(I may add a few more notes here a bit later).

My oldest watch in my collection (Ball B&O The First Mile) I recently gifted to one of my friends so the G-Shock is now the oldest watch

As of today here is the state of my collection of 15 with the Seamaster 300 57 still pending:

Suunto Core Grey Crush

Apple Watch

Casio G-Shock Atomic Solar Risemaster

Omega Seamaster Ploprof Titanium Master Chronometer

Omega Speedmaster CK 2998

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Bathyscaphe Titanium

Rolex Explorer II 42mm GMT Polar White

Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 43mm Titanium

Omega Speedmaster MoonWatch Siler Snoopy

Panerai 1950 Radiomir model 619 Ttitanium

Panerai 1950 Luminar Model 372

Rolex Air King 40mm

Rolex 43mm Red Sea Dweller

Tudor Pelagos LHD LE Titanium

Oris Topper Diver 65 No Date LE

I would prefer it be under 10, but don't really want to give up any one of these. At least not today.
    Cheers,

Michael

One thing I missed on my list is what I feel is the most important complication. To me above basic 3 hand function the most important complication is something brands are now starting to address. It is extended service period which make the watch more affordable to own. Notice I have mostly Omega and Rolex which now have 8-10 year service intervals for the newer products (unfortunately the Speedies do not have the co-axial movements). It's something i have shopped for as a long term ownership consideration.

This is where a lot of the other top brands are missing out. Now if Panerai can drive down the cost of the LAB-ID which has a 50 year service interval, but costs 65,000(eu) this is where they need to go (Basically lifetime service free). Wouldn't that look great free lifetime service? I'll take this any day over a moonphase, hebrew calendar., or nearly any other complication above date and GMT.

Omega took on an additional issue with the master chronometer movements. This is making the movement fully anti magnetic. I went all these year until the Nomos Metro arrived seriously magnetized to a point that my demagnetizer was not powerfully enough. If this is not address better across all brands it is just a matter of time until each of us has this issue.
    Cheers,

Michael

My Watch Journey

Rob called late last evening before he leaves today for his honeymoon in Japan ( including a visit to the GS facilities). The Seamaster 300 MC 57 will be in the store Tuesday. Since I get back from D.C. late Thursday night I asked to hold delivery until Friday.

This may be my last watch of 2017. I say may since I did preorder the new Ball EHC DEVGRU with the TiC coated case and black dial on rubber, but I do not expect that this year. I also do not know the timing of the the Topper Nomos World Time Burlingame which I did preorder. It was supposed to be October 2017, but I have not heard of an update. I'm also debating replacing it with one of the new rubber strap w/ deployant AT. Since there are a few models that have the hands coated ( some are blued)like the Ti PO, or Explorer II I may be able to get over the bad lume on the hands. The MC Omega or New Rolex are always preferred due to the 8-10 year service interval. Then add to this that there is the potential of a no date Zodiac Super Seawolf 53 LE coming out with some additional new features ( all I can say now). This may challenge the Diver65 since it would have STP COSC movement which I see as a Zodiac in-house movement given they are the only one to use it. As a well documented in-house snob this could remove my only non-in-house if I do not get the Ball.

I probably need something(s) to leave, or use the don't count anything under $1000 rule someone suggested in another thread so the two digital, and the smart watch don't count. This then puts me at twelve now, which means something needs to go, or I need to cancel the Ball...or both? Or maybe I just get the Rose gold YM after the 57 comes in, cancel everything else, and call it a day. As always it is a continuous cycle of strategy, and decisions.

Just a little look into the window of my convoluted thought process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

After thinking about it more I canceled the Ball EHC. Really don't want to support this latest move by the Swiss arm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

So here is the 57. This is probably it for 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael

My Watch Journey

Few more of the 57:

This is possibly the best retro reissue anyone has done. Omega went the extra mile on this one. From the bidirectional bezel, from the past high pressure certified on case back, same case design, logos, and even all of the packaging.

For reference here is the original:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Cheers,

Michael