Likes Likes:  202
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What next?

What next?

This is kind of a SOTC post and a request for help to decide as I'm afraid I am suffering from a bit of "analysis paralysis" for my next purchase.

As I've mentioned many times, I collect based on use case scenarios...dressy, not dress, sport/dive style, GADA and chronographs.

I'd adhered to the 12 watch collection with a good, better and best in each category scenario, but recently thought that two in each category would be sufficient.

Here's what is in the box now...

GADA

Name:  vacheron5.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  52.0 KB

Spot 2? While the Explorer or AT is a good answer, I really think the GS kind of crosses into this territory too much to consider those, and, I want to keep it as my "beater" GADA, so too much of a budget hit. A Sinn 856 non UTC may be the addition here.

Dressy

Name:  SBGH001v2.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  50.0 KB
    Name:  Mido2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  63.7 KB

I'll likely add the Limes Cartouche as I've liked that for so long, so this category is closed as I will never need a true dress watch.

Dive style

Name:  x-lume.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  76.8 KB
    Name:  baby tuna 3.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  62.7 KB

And my Revolution and Monster.

Category is filled up, however, I may aspire to something in the "better" category relegating the Ball to the "beater", but the others will not go anywhere, I've relegated myself to having more than a few "divers".

Chronographs

Name:  EMG1.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  69.8 KB
    Name:  bulova 2.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  118.2 KB

I have a few more, a couple of Russians and G Shocks, but I'm not counting them towards the "core collection".

Based on what I have, I've been looking for a chronograph to take the "better" spot for my next purchase, thinking about the Speedy Pro, Zenith tri color or Captain, or even the new Archimede Tri Compax, Limes 1 Tausend or the Ball NEDU.... with the Captain being in the lead at this moment as I have plenty of "water watches".

Based on what I have, I'd appreciate it if my friends here at IWL would share what they would do to round out this collection. Budget for the next one is capped at $5 - 6K.

Thanks!
    Last edited by wschofield3; Oct 19, 2017 at 03:04 AM.

2. Likes iyonk, tempocalypse liked this post
    Blog Entries
    My first (naughty) thought is that you have too few categories. Dress, Dive and Chrono? What about complications, pilot and military, errr... vintage... ummm... colored dials or disney characters? I mean, why so many boundaries? There are so many ways to go off path.

Personally I was drooling over this bargain on Ashford this afternoon, GO Perpetual Calendar for almost your price range. Oh My.
    http://www.ashford.com/us/watches/gl...at480026&so=25

Name:  100-02-13-02-04-SD_FXA.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  48.6 KB
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

4. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Ha, good point, however, there is a lot of "variable" in those categories as I am considering a pilot chronograph for instance in the Archimede. I had the GO PML at one point and it may be re attained, and I'm not really into complications as such they need to have aesthetic appeal, hence the moon phase which as you know is largely useless.

I have a hard time "going off path". I think it's called OCD, but in my case, it needs to be alphabetical so it's CDO.

I saw that Glashutte....very nice!
    Last edited by wschofield3; Oct 17, 2017 at 04:57 AM.

6. Likes skywatch liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wschofield3 View Post
    ... and I'm not really into complications as such they need to have aesthetic appeal, hence the moon phase which as you know is largely useless.
    Useless schmoochless... watches were meant to look pretty!
    What, You CDO? That never happens in watch geeks. I mean rarely... or at least not always.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

8. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skywatch View Post
    Useless schmoochless... watches were meant to look pretty!
    What, You CDO? That never happens in watch geeks. I mean rarely... or at least not always.
    Agreed on the "pretty"comment, and yes, I suffer from that and many other maladies. It's not easy being me.

10. Likes skywatch liked this post
    This is the front runner right now.

Name:  captain.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  55.6 KB

Name:  4821608_s210.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  11.3 KB

Name:  zenith_image.2384228.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  228.9 KB
    Once in awhile you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

13. Likes wschofield3, TigerDore liked this post
    Zenith is nice. Longines too - do you want something more prestigious?

Follow IWL on instagram! https://instagram.com/iwatchleague

15. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Maybe more of a traditional tool watch and a chrono. And if we're talking about pre-owned/grey market pricing may I suggest a Speedy Pro and a Sinn U1. Kill 2 birds with 1 $6,000 stone.

Last edited by litlmn; Oct 17, 2017 at 11:45 AM.

17. Likes wschofield3 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I know we've talked about this before, and I've never been able to come up with a good answer for you. What about something like a Breitling Navitimer if you feel like you're unsure of the Speedmaster?

Though, it seems like you really strongly prefer lighter dials to darker ones. In that case, I'd look at a tricolor El Primero or a blue Tudor Heritage Chrono.
    Read my latest IWL blog entry! An Ode To Rule Breaking

19. Likes wschofield3 liked this post