Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Other Royality in the Watch world

Quote Originally Posted by Samanator View Post
    Pictures. We need pictures. And a few questions. The Lange and Sohne Flieger Watches would kind of include what is GO now if I understand correctly?

Wasn’t the Linberg Weems Watch from Longines before the others?

Yes, the Lindberg watch was earlier than the ones I'm thinking of. Longines made a tribute to it, but I think it was small, by anyone's standard.

The RAF 'Weems' watches were made by a number of companies, from Movado to LeCoultre, as you'll see here -

Name:  IMG_5004.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  86.6 KB

To be honest, I've never paid too much attention to the Weems watches because I'm not keen on the look of them.

Glashutte Original have made a couple of tributes to the B-Uhr - maybe more.

This Type B is OK (apart from the hacking reset button) -

Name:  1543_album1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  57.7 KB

But this type A is truly dreadful -

Name:  1541_album1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  48.4 KB

Actually, a luxury B-Uhr strikes the wrong notes for me. A Stowa seems more appropriate and more authentic.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post
    Yes, the Lindberg watch was earlier than the ones I'm thinking of. Longines made a tribute to it, but I think it was small, by anyone's standard.

The RAF 'Weems' watches were made by a number of companies, from Movado to LeCoultre, as you'll see here -

Name:  IMG_5004.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  86.6 KB

To be honest, I've never paid too much attention to the Weems watches because I'm not keen on the look of them.

Glashutte Original have made a couple of tributes to the B-Uhr - maybe more.

This Type B is OK (apart from the hacking reset button) -

Name:  1543_album1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  57.7 KB

But this type A is truly dreadful -

Name:  1541_album1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  48.4 KB

Actually, a luxury B-Uhr strikes the wrong notes for me. A Stowa seems more appropriate and more authentic.
    My Weems interest comes from the book Latitude that someone gave me as a gift a few years ago. As far as the GO, as you probably know I had the one you hate. At that time I could not live with a watch without a date. That has changed now. I do like the flyback second hand reset feature on the GO though. It really helped setting the time, and it seems like something the military would dictate as a feature. I think a B type may be in order next time. I don't know why I can't commit to buying a Stowa though?
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Yes, it was actually there, along with an original 1957. They took the 1957 out of the case for me and let me photograph it alongside my 300MC, but this one stayed in the case.

Yes I knew of this, but it was more of a swimmer, than a diver. I always thought it would be a cool piece for the museum collection. Did they actually have it there since that piece was never at any of the events I've been to? I've only seen this pictures on the Omega site.

As far as the GO, as you probably know I had the one you hate.

Oh gawd, I'd forgotten...

I don't know why I can't commit to buying a Stowa though?

One of the finest little companies in the industry, run by one of the finest men - but yes, I have semi-irrational blocks with some brands.

Quote Originally Posted by tribe125 View Post

One of the finest little companies in the industry, run by one of the finest men - but yes, I have semi-irrational blocks with some brands.
    I think my issue falls to my in-house snobbery. If Stowa had their own movements like Nomos I would probably have had a few by now. I believe they were part of the group who developed the base of this movement along with Wempe?
    Cheers,

Michael

Tell everyone you saw it on IWL!

Do you mean the B-Uhr movement? There were a few.

Wempe used a Thommen movement, Stowa a Unitas, Laco a Durowe and Lange one of its own. Lange couldn’t meet its production targets, so Wempe assembled some of the Lange watches. Lange also sub-contracted to a few other companies.

I think the IWC had an IWC pocket watch movement.